keeping healthcare expensive

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Texas_Curl, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

2. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

You don't think the average reader of the local Boston paper knows what party their four-term mayor is a member of?

Do they mention Bloomberg's affiliation in every last story about him in the Times? How about Will Winn's in the Statesman?

Keep your eye on the ball.

3. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

this is more than just a local story.

if a republican's shoelace comes undone or farts on an elevator, you can be sure that the typical newswriter will mention that he's a republican in the first paragraph. here we have a democrat putting the screws to a company who cna provide affordable and convenient healthcare, effectively putting the screws to poor people. i think a newswriter ought to be able to detect the disconnect between this democrat's actions and his blatherings.

hook'em

hook'em

4. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

5. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

waaaaaa. I'm a Republican and the media hates me. One step below the race card is the victim card.

You have a decent story that you linked to but apparently your main concern is playing the victim card for republicans.

6. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

Back to the original story. Can anyone give a rational as to why someone would oppose this? CVS is doing this here in Austin and it is so economically friendly, BCBS and the state health plan made a special allowance to encourage it, so that you don't have to go through your PCP. My wife has already used it to get her flu shot. Otherwise she would have gone to the expensive PCP and cost both us and the health insurance more money.

7. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

no, my comment about party was a btw. instead of discussing the main thrust of the post, some dumbass jumped on the party angle. i didn't emphasize this angle, you all did.

hook'em

8. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

opposition could be coming from the fear that these operations could obviate the need for nationalized healthcare.

hook'em

9. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

10. brandons87

brandons87 250+ Posts

11. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

I'm sure the CVS health clinic wouldn't be pushing their 2000% marked up pills on people. They are just doing this for the good of the people.

12. wildcat09

wildcat09 100+ Posts

13. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

14. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I don't care about the political party thing. It was clear that Curl put it in as an after thought though. The point of the thread is why would ANYONE oppose CVS doing this. What is your thought on that softly?

15. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

Wal-Mart is doing this as well.

The AMA is throwing every spare dollar they have trying to lobby local and state governments to fight it, too.

16. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

17. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

18. brandons87

brandons87 250+ Posts

19. BattleshipTexas

20. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

21. brandons87

brandons87 250+ Posts

22. BattleshipTexas

23. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

[ me opining]First they told CVS they couldn't have a health clinic and sell tobacco products too. Then, they told them they couldn't sell beer or wine. Eventually, CVS wasn't selling anything but band aids and cotton balls because the gubmint disallowed their ability to sell anything that could be harmful[/me opining]

24. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

25. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Who cares about the World Health Organization or any other study? You need something catchy to make the point stick. This is a parrot democracy and on this issue, the parrots repeat over and over:

"Health care in the US is the envy of the world.

Hard to beat a repeated lie like that.

26. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

27. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

Wow. I missed that quote earlier Mac.

28. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

29. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

He didn't say "able" to sell tobacco and booze, Mac...he said he thinks they just shouldn't, of their own volition.

i've asked before and never really gotten a good answer why...but why are health insurance companies for-profit? why can't we make these companies non-profit? the biggest problem that i can see is that a lot of money comes in (premiums) but far, far less goes out (healthcare).

people who work in non-profit can still make a lot of money, so it's not like there's no incentive...there's just far less incentive to deny healthcare procedures to people.

30. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

They can and should be legally able to sell anything they want Mac, but I don't think that they should be selling everything you find on the typical pharmacy shelve. I also don't think that pharmacies should have drive thru-windows or sell garden hoses, but I don't like the idea of legislation preventing a pharmacy owner from building in such a service if they feel that it is in the best interest of their customers. I might make an exception to the junk food thing for a soda fountain or a grill out of nostalgia, but philosophically I think that a pharmacy should be primarily an establishment focussed on wellness and healthcare. Selling cigarettes, alcohol and Hohos doesn't seem appropriate to me, but I wouldn't legislate against it. I might be a pain in the *** if I ever got a seat on the state board though. [​IMG]