Kirk Bohl's makeover

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by UTEX69, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

right...so we have the right to our opinion and someone getting all worked up about it is unnecessary. particularly when they are telling us to "get over it." this is a bulletin board, and this is exactly what a board like this is about.

2. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

hating a man because he didn't vote for your favorite player who lost by a million votes anyways is stupid. get over it.

3. The Creature

The Creature 100+ Posts

What I find truly indefensible is the satiristic columns Bohls puts out mischaracterising players/coaches/etc. He sets up a straw man, speaking for the aforementioned person and buliding up an unreasonably pompous image of them in the view of the public.

A classic example is his lambasting of Major Applewhite, in which he made out Major to be a self-centered jerk who assumed he was some sort of god in the arena of College Football. Anybody who ever read an interview or watched footage of Major speaking could tell you that he was very modest and full of praise for his teammates, yet Bohls feels the need to defame and reshape him as some sort of Prima Donna. I consider it to be the most disgustingly vulture-like form of sports journalism in American sports coverage.

Bohls is a hack. Pure and simple. He attacks whoever or whatever has become popular with the fanbase, whether there is merit to his argument or not. It creates controversy, which keeps people reading his half-assed columns.

Either that, or if someone becomes wildly unpopular with the fans, he writes a smarmy column acting as though he's been criticizing them all along!

He's an attention *****. If he can gain attention by attacking a popular figure, he'll do it. If he can gain popularity by saying he's been criticizing someone for ages that the fans are currently lambasting, he'll do that as well. Whatever gains him more readership, he'll do.

Never liked him. Never will.

4. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

who ever said they hated bohls just because of the VY debacle? there are plenty of other reasons to not like the guy.......you are quite myopic in your understanding of why we dislike his journalism. i actually suspect he is a very nice man....just not a very good journalist.

5. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

6. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I don't dislike Kirk so much for his content, as for his writing style.
    Here's the lead sentence in his piece in the Tue, 22-Jan, piece, Top rookie Durant is a marked man

"Kevin Durant could sure use some help."

You're right about that, Kirk.

And a couple paragraphs later...

"That's pretty much
    the extent of the good news --"

Yep, Kirk. Pretty much is. Boy oh boy. Sure 'nuff. Land gosh a'shakes, man alive. Gee whilikers!

Take that, Samuel Johnson. Thomas Carlyle. Mark Twain. Abe Lincoln.

7. the stuff he has written is miniscule to some of the ******** i read on this very site.

8. Booya

Booya 25+ Posts

In today's article, he refers to the SuperSonics as the StuporSonics. See the clever play on words? He's so witty.

I'm surprised he didn't throw in a reference to Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears or Desperate Housewives.

9. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

I think he is right about Greg Davis, Wrong about VY. He is no Matt "Young is all style, McNeal is the substance" Hayes.

He might be a like-able guy, but I do not agree with most of the time. I do not really value his opinion, and he doesn't offer any insight. I do not hate him, I just don't give a f**k about him or his opinion.

10. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

That is truth GOO, no doubt.

11. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

I don't "hate" Bohls for his writing or his vote. But I have the same right to my opinion of him as he has to write his opinions.

As pointed out in mine and other posts, if being as close to VY as he was did not convince him of the difference between VY and Reggie, then either he was looking for attention by picking Reggie or he is a football idiot.

I have no intention of "getting over it". In my opinion his choice was inexcuseable...but not worthy of hate. Maybe you should "get over" judging others on this board, seems as though you are guilty of the same thing you acuse KB naysayers of.

12. bevocbs

bevocbs 250+ Posts

The reason I don't like him is because to me, he always comes off as fake. I don't think he believes half of the stuff he writes. I think he takes an issue, decides what approach he thinks will create the greatest interest/debate for that topic, and then writes it as if it is what he truly believes. As a result, I think he often contradicts himself and often has ridiculous arguments because he is trying to justify positions he doesn't really believe. To me its annoying and I haven't read more than a couple of his columns in the past couple of years.

13. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

14. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

15. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

that's right...you are really beginning to sound like you are Kirk's wife or something (as someone already implied.)

16. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

17. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

18. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

It appears the AAS employees are the ones throwing a hissy fit about one of their own being labeled for what he is.

His opinion doesn't count for donkey balls, IMO.

19. Ribby Paultz

Ribby Paultz 100+ Posts

I am amazed at how insecure some of our fans are

20. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

It's amazing for the media to hear they may not be liked.

Merrill Hoge might be a nice guy too, but that doesn't change the fact that most of us know he sucks balls when it comes to judging VY.

21. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

22. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts