Kitchen Remodeling Toughts/Ideas

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by lostman, Jul 16, 2011.

1. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

The paint from the bathroom gut/remodel is barely dry, but I am already in the planning stages for our kitchen remodel. We will start it at the beginning of summer vacation 2012, but I want to start researching some of the fixtures etc now. I really want everything all lined out and purchased if possible before we ever start.

Does anyone have any thoughts on faucets? Pullout vs side sprayer? Single handle vs two handle? What about the newer ones that turn on with a touch on the spout? (that seems gimmicky to me) I don't intend to go highest end, but will spend good money for a good faucet, something that is used and looked at multiple times daily. The builder put in a chrome Delta that has lasted 23 years, just started to drip and leak out under the faucet ball sort of recently, but the sprayer stopped working years ago and it was not worth it to repair.

I saw some kitchen remodel photos on here a couple of years back and the granite was really pretty - Copper Canyon I think. Just don't remember who it was and can't find it in a search. IIRC whoever it was lived here in Houston, too. I also want to investigate Silestone and Vetrazzo as options to granite.

Cabinets will most likely be the same as the powder room cabinet in my bathroom remodel, maple with a medium/light brown stain that is more in the brown/yellows. Same guy will do them as I loved his work.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We did some kitchen remodeling last summer—marble counters, new sink & faucet, some appliances, etc. We got a Price Pfister (that name always makes me think of Fisher Price) faucet similar to the one below—a single hole configuration with the pull-down sprayer. It works really well with the deep stainless sink we put in. I like it. It came with a soap dispenser so that was the only other hole to drill.

We worked with Katy Carpets Etc because we were also having tile floors put in, but they also had subcontractors they worked with for the kitchen stuff, and they did really good work. I can recommend them highly if you’re looking for some help. Talk to Glen or Angel, they’re both great. (I have no interest in their business, just a satisfied customer.)

If you install a new sink make sure to have a plumber on hand in case you need to reconfigure the pipes, garbage disposal, etc.

[​IMG]

3. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

We have the same type of faucet pictured above and really like it. Also, we put in a "quick and hot" tank when we
    did our kitchen 2 years ago and I can't imagine living without it. Link

[​IMG]

4. pullouts are great and make everything look really sleek. i also like some of the bridge faucets, but they are definitely antique looking and sometimes too much so for my tastes. worth looking at though.

5. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

+1 on the pullout faucet. We built our house a year ago, chose that option and love it. We also went with a single sink instead of divided, and it's a black graphite type (not graphite, but looks like it) surface...looks great with dark colored granite.

6. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Thanks for the feedback. The hot water dispenser looks interesting. Will definitely check into that. The faucet you pictured is exactly what I was looking at. Glad to hear you are pleased with it.

Does anyone have any opinion or thoughts about a dual fuel range vs a separate cooktop and oven? I have only had separates, but if I go with the duel fuel range, I can create more cabinet/pantry space; more than what I lose by doing the range. I have the gas line already there, would only need the electricity. Single fuel is not an option for me, I like a gas cooktop and electric range.

I was hoping to enlarge the sink area, but that would mean major plumbing changes that really are not worth it, but the farmhouse sinks look like they might work. We have one large, deep sink and a very small prep sink w/disposal. Any sink thoughts?

I am glad I am starting to plan now, because there are way too many things to consider. I have started a spiral notebook with ideas, clippings, and questions to keep track of everything.

Thanks again for all thoughts and ideas.