knee pads

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HornFanatic, Dec 18, 2021.

1. HornFanatic

HornFanatic 25+ Posts

Why are so many football players no longer wearing knee pads? The first time I noticed this was a few years ago when Sam Ellinger played regularly in what appeared to be shorts. This seems to have become a trend now, not only in college, but especially with high school teams. Can someone please tell me when this began to be popular, and why? Don't football players need some degree of protection for their knees?

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Good question since JWhitt hurt is knee cap last year and was out for multiple games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I do remember how irritating it was to get sand under your knee pads - but I played in El Paso, we had fields that were half grass, half dirt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

The refs used to disqualify a player until he wore them. It was a rule.
    I was wondering the same thing.

I saw several HS players yesterday with nothing covering knees.
    This is Horn Fans- so to get ahead of well intentioned poster saying I’m nuts:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

This thread makes it official.
    ...Its the offseason.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Maybe the VP cornered the market.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I gotta admit, when I read this thread title, I didn’t expect this to be an actual thread about knee pads…

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Hey nashhorn where did you play? I was a Cowboy (pride of the westside) and Moorhead Raider. Junior high HC is as far as I went.
    Sometimes the grass was just burrs, and the sand was more like broken glass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Haha, Parkland. We won one game in two years. Played on Parklands first ever varsity squad. Fondest memory is the all district back from Ysleta (no idea his name now) ran me totally over and coach mercifully took me out (cussed me up one side and down the other) but I never played linebacker again. Honestly it did not bother me at all.
    As an Army brat we lived on the NE side.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Was Roscoe's there back then?

11. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

?? Not familiar.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I thought for sure there was 50 years of grease on that grill and those walls. Best hamburger in El Paso. It's on the northeast side. I can drive to it, but can't tell you how to get there. There is a road out of Ft Bliss that crosses the north freeway. I turn left on it, go West until a "Y", veer left and its on a corner about two blocks from that Y. You will smell like grease when you leave.

I also preferred the steakhouse on north Alabama (??) to their locations in Fabens or far West side, although Stateline was better than any of those.

Go in Billy Crews and mention my name; they'll give you whatever you want to leave. Golden Corral is better.

13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Fort Blvd to the ‘y’, and I’m much farther out NE than that but Dad was in Logan Heights for one tour so I remember that area a bit. It was 60 years ago when I started HS there and when I say there was nothing out there I mean there was nothing! I lived at the end (at that time) of Railroad Dr and had all the desert I could play in back then. It was wonderful.
    Steakhouse in Fabens, you mean Cattleman’s? Santa Teresa essentially did not exist when I was growing up there. We could still go to Juarez back then.

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I opened an office out there and was there a couple of days every month. Lots of great stories. Ate at StateLine, Great American on north Alabama, Roscoe's, and a seafood place on Mesa. Really enjoyed Case del Norte when Juarez was open.

It was like West El Paso and east El Paso were different countries and hundreds of miles apart. Loved the way people introduced themselves emphasizing which part of town they lived in. (Bill Smith WEST EL PASO). You may not catch their name, but you damn sure knew where they lived.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Forti’s?

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not really. The people I did business with preferred a little place that had been in ELP for decades. It was or a block over from Arizona, east of Mesa. Small, crowded, and IMO overrated.

Ate a lot at that local place that resembled a Chili's. Like everything out there, there was one in east El Paso on Airway, and one in West El Paso on Mesa. Also that BBQ place next door to "The Hut"(???, where Haskins had his radio show). Their sampler platter has ribs, brisket & sausage and was under $10.

17. Detective Shilala

sounds like it could have been the G & R.
    Fortis is still around and serving good food.
    I miss the Hacienda back in the day.
    no Tex mex restaurant in Austin can beat the most average Mexican food from El Paso. Sorry but Austin Mexican food is weak, or pretentious, or both.
    It’s still true what you say about it bring two different cities, Sabre.

18. Detective Shilala

the rib hut, aka the rib slut.

19. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I always enjoyed dining at Fortis. The Mexican food in The Pass was always quite good, but if I remember correctly the tamales were very thick with a lot of masa. That was typical of tamales from there to CA. I know that you would know good Mexican food Detective, but it is amazing how many opinions there are in regard to this food. I had neighbors in Dallas from Denver and they told me CO had better Mexican food. I would say of course they do because they have so many more people of hispanic heritage (?). Now we have all of these new Texans from the North and they know what is best when it comes to this food. I grew up eating $.90 plates at El Matamoros on East avenue (now hwy 35). Enchiladas, beans and rice. So what would I know.

For those of you in the DFW area, try the tamales from the Tortilla Factory in Oak Cliff. You can get some tongue and Menudo there as well. The grease in the tamales bleed into the masa and the masa is thin. They sell to restaurants all over the plex.

Sorry, I know this is a football board, but it’s off season.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I played on a couple of fields like that.

21. Detective Shilala

I have always thought it was adorable when someone from the DFW area tried to boast about their Mexican food. People from Colorado? GTFO

tamales is not really a huge el paso thing in my experience, chinstrap. That was a big deal at holidays but Enchiladas, red or green, and rellenos, caldo de res, anything that really features the local chili is what you need to order.
    The best Austin Mexican restaurants couldn’t make a relleno for ****. Even the best ones are doing it wrong using poblano pepper or dress them up with some kind of zesty sauce. Just no.
    They’re really proud of them though!
    As you have seem to appreciate the best is often the most humble, simple. Good ingredients and tried, true.
    If you want to spoil gorditas forever, go to JJs in the upper valley. Just a fast food looking diner, but no gordita will compare. I think they might use crack in the ingredients they are so good.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Gorditas are wife’s favorite and best we’ve had are at the fiesta from the booth in Market in SA. But rellenos, now that is a trip in sooo many places, poblano pepper in scrambled eggs or eggs thick like an omelette. I swear. Imo, there is no better Mexican food in the US than El Paso. Forties was always my favorite, once discovered, but I have to confess, this Nov I was very disappointed. Wife and I, with son ate there after me profusely bragging on it to son forever, and nothing was special - nothing. Only thing good was the Chile (salsa for the gringos), otherwise Gordita shell was hard as rock, tacos al carbon were tough and cold, just lousy experience. I noticed all new people but since hadn’t been in so long I didn’t think too much of it at the time but now I wonder if there’s been a change in ownership or management. So disappointed, but we did have some great breakfasts at Maria’s downtown.
    Anyone remember La Paloma’s on Dyer? Great for a bit of gut wrenching but nevertheless delicious burritos. I will say the best flour tortillas ever made.
    For the burrachos nothing beat hamburgers (or hot dogs) from the old Hamburger Inn on, was it Alameda? Never found any as good.