Lam Jones very ill

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests' started by Punt on 1st Down, Oct 10, 2005.

1. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

God bless him. Get well soon.
    [​IMG]

2. TxTower

TxTower 25+ Posts

Mr. Johnny Lam Jones,

As a fan who watched you play and a fellow Longhorn, you have my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. texasstatedelrio

texasstatedelrio First Time Poster

My prayers are with Lam Jones and his family.

So what exactly is wrong with Johnny? Is he on his death bed?

4. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I am so sad to hear this. Lam was one of my friends when I was in college. I remember he would always ask my friend and I if he could buy us a "Coke" at The Keg. Of course, the "Coke" he would buy us was a Rum 151-and.

It was Lam and Alfred Jackson who invited me to Earl's Heisman party after Earl got back from New York.

I treasure my memories of Johnny Lam Jones and will pray for his recovery. He will always be a special Longhorn to me.

To show you what kind of man he was, when he got back from the Olympics, he donated his gold medal to the Special Olympics.

5. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I am so sad to hear this. Lam was one of my friends when I was in college. I remember he would always ask my friend and I if he could buy us a "Coke" at The Keg. Of course, the "Coke" he would buy us was a Rum 151-and.

It was Lam and Alfred Jackson who invited me to Earl's Heisman party after Earl got back from New York.

I treasure my memories of Johnny Lam Jones and will pray for his recovery. He will always be a special Longhorn to me.

To show you what kind of man he is, when he got back from the Olympics, he donated his gold medal to the Special Olympics.

6. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

I'm pretty sure he was playing in the first UT game I ever saw in person here in Austin.

Ham, Lam and Jam were part of some great childhood memories for me.

Here's hoping he can outrun whatever is ailing him.

7. TheRepublicOfTexas

TheRepublicOfTexas 25+ Posts

I'm sure all of us, growing up and playing football in the front yard or on the vacant neighborhood lot claimed to be "Johnny Lam Jones" a few times. That name always brings back very pleasant childhood memories!

Hang in there Johnny, we are all praying for you!

[​IMG]

8. bartttu

bartttu < 25 Posts

From a Tech fan who is old enough to remember him,

Thoughts and prayers are with him.

9. 53 Veer Pass

53 Veer Pass 100+ Posts

I'll never forget his performance in the 1978 Sun Bowl. He had a great day and scored two TDs, one on a reverse and one on a perfectly thrown pass from Mark McBath.

Word is he has multiple myeloma, like Mike Campbell had. Very bad deal.

10. tsquar

tsquar 250+ Posts

My prayer is that He please... help him get well...

11. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

12. The Gnat

The Gnat First Time Poster

Godspeed, Johnny Lam

A friend at work told me about the last leg he ran at the state championships. Amazing.

13. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

During the Ohio St game I told my daughter and her friends about Lam, Ham and Jam.

That was a special time, and our thoughts and prayers are with Lam and his family.

Hook'em!!!

14. Oranjello

Oranjello 100+ Posts

One of my heroes growing up. Prayers and best wishes.

Thanks for the article TT. If someone can get the info to someone involved in his treatment, a search at the National Institutes of Health website shows over 100 clinical trials currently ongoing for this condition. Hope the info is useful.
    The Link

15. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I'm in on whatever we can do to help Lam, and let him know he's in all of our prayers.

16. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

I am in also, will there be a collection on Sat. during tailgate?

17. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Please include Lam in your prayers. Our God is a loving God, and will take care of us all, including Lam.

Lam, best wishes from your Longhorn family and friends.

HornHuskerDad [​IMG]

18. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

from Texas Taps' link to the AA-S article:

19. imatexan

imatexan First Time Poster

I'm a die-hard Tech fan but I still remember my dad telling me stories about Lam Jones and his incredible performances both on the track and the football field. My dad has since passed, but I'll always remember how my dad's eyes would light up when talking about his incredible performance at the Texas Relays.

May God Bless you and heal you Mr. Jones. May God also give your family comfort during this trying time.

imatexan

20. CLAHOOKEM

CLAHOOKEM < 25 Posts

Our prayers go out to you and please let your Longhorn family know how we can help financially.

My Johnny "Lam" story is from a Dad's Day home game where as a member of the APO's I was on the field running the flag. This was the first year they were imposing a penalty if pre-game activities delayed the start of the game. Activities were indeed running long and Johnny Lam and team had already come out to receive the kickoff and the flag was still on the field. Our crew leaders yelled for us to "close" the flag which entails gathering material under our arms as fast as possible. Usually the section leaders would end up at the front of this line and would lead us off the field but the quick close caused us to fold at an angle and I ended up on the end. Everyone was yelling for me to just get off the field so I turned around...and ran headlong into Johnny Lam Jones, back to recieve the kick. He towered over me and I just bounced off of him like a flea! It took a long time to put the flag in the trailer and make my way up to the seats where my Dad was waiting....still chuckling, tears of laughter streaming down his face!

21. CLAHOOKEM

CLAHOOKEM < 25 Posts

Our prayers go out to you and please let your Longhorn family know how we can help financially.

My Johnny "Lam" story is from a Dad's Day home game where as a member of the APO's I was on the field running the flag. This was the first year they were imposing a penalty if pre-game activities delayed the start of the game. Activities were indeed running long and Johnny Lam and team had already come out to receive the kickoff and the flag was still on the field. Our crew leaders yelled for us to "close" the flag which entails gathering material under our arms as fast as possible. Usually the section leaders would end up at the front of this line and would lead us off the field but the quick close caused us to fold at an angle and I ended up on the end. Everyone was yelling for me to just get off the field so I turned around...and ran headlong into Johnny Lam Jones back to recieve the kick. He towered over me and I just bounced off of him like a flea! It took a long time to put the flag in the trailer and make my way up to the seats where my Dad was waiting....still laughing, tears of laughter streaming down his face!

22. Sangre Orange

Sangre Orange 25+ Posts

Prayers for you Lam. Hang in there.

Speaking from some experience, there's been a lot of progress in treating this illness. My dad lost his to it my sophmore year at UT (1992).

23. 93ex

93ex 100+ Posts

God bless. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

24. elliotthorn

elliotthorn 25+ Posts

Sua Sponte said it best:

25. daytonhorn

daytonhorn 500+ Posts

26. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

He's now been placed in ICU at Brackenridge.

It's not looking good.

27. LibertyValance

LibertyValance < 25 Posts

I remember one time I was listening to the game on the radio. I think they were playing Boston College up in Massachusetts (1976). The radio play-by-play man sad Lam was so fast he could run through a room full of rattlesnakes without getting bit.
    I hoping for the best. [​IMG]

28. UT Longhorn

UT Longhorn 500+ Posts

Keep fighting Lam, we're all pulling for you.
    [​IMG]

29. Bevoette

Bevoette 1,000+ Posts

Prayers. What an amazing player he was.

30. drborange

drborange 500+ Posts

THANKS, GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY[​IMG][​IMG]