Larry Fedora joining staff as analyst?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is something from BON on Fedora's fit here --

"More than just sharing a similar offensive philosophy to Herman, Fedora has an extensive database that shaped his situational play calling."

" .... Fedora is now on staff in part because he shares a similar offensive philosophy to Herman — after first becoming a spread adherent while watching Rich Rodriguez at Tulane, Fedora operates out of 11 personnel, just like Herman, and uses multiple tempos in an effort to gain advantages against the defense.

Run-pass options are a part of his philosophy as he attempts to punish defenses for devoting resources to stop the run or the pass. Though that particular approach has evolved in recent years, Fedora’s desire to take advantage of the opportunities defenses provide to the offense based on schematic decisions was calcified while working at Baylor under Chuck Teaff, whose stubborn approach to offense frustrated Fedora.

“If I ever get a chance, I’m not going to just bang my head against the wall,” he said. “If a team says we’re going to stop the run, then I’m going to throw it. And if a team says we’re going to stop the pass, then I’m going to run it.”

Arguably the most important area where Fedora could help Texas dates back to his time running the triple option at Air Force.

Beyond valuable experience like working under Mike Gundy as the Oklahoma State offensive for three seasons, Fedora also began assembling a database that has now tracked statistics across college football since the early 1990s and features play-by-play data that helps determine what calls Fedora carries into games.

“If there’s going to be seven 3rd-and-longs in a game, how do I want to handle those seven?” Fedora said in 2013. “If I’m going to call maybe a couple of screens, all right, well, now I’ve got five left. Is one of them going to be a draw? Okay, so now I’ve got four left. So how many passes do I really need to prepare in 3rd-and-long? Do I need to prepare four passes? Or do I need to prepare two and call them twice? To me, it’s just how you put your game plan together, how you whittle it down.”
    Fedora’s approach fits with that of Herman, who has also taken an analytical approach to determining how many situational plays to carry into a game. Doing so allows the offense to play at tempo, especially in short-yardage situations, because the play sheet already has those calls ranked and ordered for easy access during games....."

How new Texas analyst Larry Fedora fits with Tom Herman’s offensive vision

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While I am thrilled about Fedora, I’m also baffled. How did Herman pull this off, and where does Beck fit now? Too many cooks? Like I said, I’m baffled.

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

The prompt on this thread says Larry fedora joins staff as anal.
    maybe use an L instead of Larry?

5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I have a feeling that Tom Herman is adding these guys as not only analyst but as a pool of coaches he can use when an assistant leaves. They will know the players and be ready to step in once someone leaves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Maybe the new guys are here to push the incumbents, nobody gets lazy, everybody is expendable. I would actually like that for accountability. This is a championship level program being built.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

I know more programs do it, but Bama gets the press. Saban has done this often, most recently with Butch Jones.
    Who knows what they will really add. I’m sure ground rules, and roles are laid out pretty clear.
    If you have deep pockets why wouldn’t you bring on an advisor with this experience.
    Even just little things like travel, or spring ball, things you’ve never considered.
    Also it gives the fired coach some respect. Come help us, and we’ll let you get your resume right, and keep the communication lines open.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

"Beyond valuable experience like working under Mike Gundy as the Oklahoma State offensive for three seasons, Fedora also began assembling a database that has now tracked statistics across college football since the early 1990s and features play-by-play data that helps determine what calls Fedora carries into games."

Sounds like applying Houston Astros-style data metrics to college football. If this works, it could be what everybody does in the future. Fortunately we have the most resources if things go this way. UT=big data.

We may be witnessing a bit of the Mensa side of Herman in all this...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Hiring Fedora says alot about Herman. He's got balls and humility. I think I have accused TH of a lack of humility a time or two before. I am flat out impressed. Its great the direction we are going and there's a feel that everything is falling into place. :trophy:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm kind of glad it's an offensive analyst and not a defensive one like the Greg Robinson route that Mack always seemed to veer towards. I went back and watched the "not as great" wins from 2018: Tulsa, KSU, Baylor, and KU. These are four teams that we probably should have obliterated. And our offense was our undoing in all of them. It's hard to peg the Baylor game on anything beyond Sam getting hurt early, but Shane didn't exactly take the reins and beat BU.

Just looking at the KSU game as an example, here's what effed up all of our series:
    1. From KSU 41, Beck makes a dumb low block to give us a 2nd and 20 from our own 49. Forced passes. Punt.
    2. Jamison ran backwards like 10 yards on a screen. Then Sam got sacked the next play. Punt.
    3. On 3rd and 8 from near midfield, we run a Greg Davis play for 5 yards. Punt.
    4. Mid 3rd quarter, we were walking down the field, and then got super-conservative once we hit FG range near the KSU 30. Missed FG.
    5. Got to midfield again next series, and ran some boneheaded plays. Punt.

Guys like Fedora can work with this. We had pretty much all the momentum and the defense was kicking *** and taking names for the first two-thirds of the game. But those pea-brain things that seemed to get us off task are the job of the analyst to find the workarounds and get the rest of the offensive staff to buy in. The fact that we kept getting to midfield said we must have been doing SOMETHING right, but it's now Fedora's job to limit the mistakes and sustain those drives. I'm not saying that Dicker has to make every kick from 48 yards out, but why settle for a 48-yard FG when you could have been moving the ball? I think we'll figure this out. And when we do, watch out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I love our long drives that wear out the opponents' DL and crush their morale. Now, with Bru McCoy, Jake Smith, and Whittington on board, we've added dangerous home run threats to the offense. Next year, some of those stalled drives like you mentioned might end in 60 yard TDs off a hand off or short pass (or long pass). Combine these electrifying playmakers with field general Sam, a good OL, and Fedora's/Herman's analytics and play calling, and you've got some sleepless nights and ulcers for opposing D-coordinators.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Totally agree. Once an aggressive offensive mindset is in place the defense's ability to adjust becomes much harder as no longer can the offensive set (or trend) foretell what is about to occur.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

You bet. Hit the nail on the head. And there's more: if Whittington, Bru, and even Jake, can play both WR and RB, then they can move from position to position between plays limiting the opponent's ability to sub in for favorable matchups. (Of course, very few could favorably match up with these three at either position). They should be in motion a lot too.

Our hurry up offense will have a new dimension, no doubt.

14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Sorry for the segue, but speaking of Bru, any word on his eligibility this year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Those 3 should do musical chairs before the snap count, then hold at their position (RB, WR, etc.) for the snap count, then go at ball snap. The defense wouldn’t have a chance to focus on stopping any one of them.

16. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

BJ Johnson, Sloan Thomas, Roy Williams.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

What a great trio of WR they were. I suspect Herman/Fedora will use one or more of Bru, Jake, and/or Whitington at RB as well as WR, and for Whitington to be our go-to guy for Wildcat QB.

I also hear Fedora wears an old-school Bear Bryant hat. :smile1:

18. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I see what you did there! :hookem:

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, I can't help myself.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Aren't you guys forgetting someone? Someone that I think will have a breakout season - Callin Johnson. This is going to be a fun to watch receiving corps.

21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'd have called it a Tom Landry Hat, but whatever.

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He's a star WR no doubt, and it's great he's back. Not sure if he will also slide over to RB from time to time like some are predicting Bru and Whittington might. He has the size and talent to if Herman wants to utilize him in that sort of hybrid role. Still, I'd think Johnson remains a pure WR.

We're in the enviable position at WR where our biggest problem is getting everybody enough passes to keep them happy.

23. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

My opinion he stays as WR. Maybe motion out of backfield some but I think we’ll have too many others for that. For me right now it’s Johnson, Sterns, and of course Erlingher that have my excitement level so high for next year.