Last Ever State Farm Lonestar Showdown

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FWHORN, Sep 18, 2011.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Horns are holder of the trophy after a tie last year. With both schools headed to different conferences there wont be a chance to continue this competition after this year.

Bill in Sinton lets get this started. [​IMG]

2. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

FW this looks like another close year and some of the competition is too close to call. One think early is that our volleyball mustn't split with the Lady Aggies because that really hurt us last year and cost us the win outright. The Aggies volleyball team didn't belong on the same court as us and that was a bitter pill to swallow. I counted us as probably getting 9 points and the Aggies 8 with the rest too close to call and even the points I have us getting are not all gimies and no doubt we will win some unexpected and lose some unexpected. We will see but the competition starts early next month and hopefully we can win it outright.

I don't know what happens if the teams split 9.5 all because last year they did the same but we had the tie breaker by winning it the prior year but the rules don't specify a tie breaker for two tie years in a row even though a strong case would be made for us.

The thing is that this year may be the last one and whoever wins it may retain it forever which would be a laugh because we have the best overall record in the competition at 4 - 1 with 2 tie breakers with us winning one and the Aggies the other. It will be interesting to see.

Go Horns! Let's win it this year!

[​IMG]

3. UTVballfan

UTVballfan 100+ Posts

I will be shocked if the Horns don't beat the Aggies twice in volleyball.

Our frosh don't look like the type to be intimidated by frothing Aggies.

I'n fact, I suspect Khat is like Destinee TV-D.... the bigger the game, the more the exposure, the more she'll thrive.

4. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Don't expect our WBB team to contribute. UT is now 0-11 against A&M since the arrival of Gail Goestenkors in 2007.

This showdown should never be close against the aggy.

5. Bill in Sinton

Seattle unfortunately I am afraid you are right. They haven't contributed in a long time in this competition. What has hurt is that the Aggies get the full point and until last year they split with us in Men's basketball. The best we can hope for in basketball is that they men can sweep or at least split the points.

6. Bill in Sinton

It starts in Austin Wednesday night at 6:30 P.M. Those that can please show up at the game and cheer loud for our Ladies. It would be great to start it right. Go Horns! [​IMG]

7. Bill in Sinton

As most of you know we got the volleyball match point and lead the series 1/2 to 0. This month (October) there are still three big points left and we need to support our teams. The next one is the soccer match to be held on Austin on October 28, 2011 at 6 P.M. Those that can please go support our Horns. A&M will be favored and their fans will be their vocal so it would help if we could really have a big loud crowd that evening to support our ladies. So those that can please go to that game and show support. After that game you can go to Gregory Gym for the Volleyball's match with Iowa State (I think) starting at 8 P.M. If our ladies could get this point or even split it it would be a big help. This final competition will be close (more on that later).
    The next day in College Station starting at 10 A.M. the Big 12 Men's Cross Country Meet will be going on at Pebble Creek Country Club. The Women will start at 11 A.M. These are two more valuable points that we need so those that can please stop by and support our Horns.
    After that the football game at 6 P.M. in Austin will be against Kansas.

Go Horns! [​IMG]

8. Bill in Sinton

A&M beats UT is soccer 3-0. This gives them the Cup lead at 1 to 1/2. This was expected even though I hoped we might get something. Still two points this weekend in cross country tomorrow and let's hope the Horns can get a needed sweep.

9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Huge day today as for Texas to have any chance these are two must get points. I am a lot more optomistic about both golf points this year and the full volleyball point but any path to winning includes the two CC to make up for the 4 lost points that are very likely in the spring with indoor and outdoor T&F.

[​IMG]

10. Bill in Sinton

The Cross Country events should be over. Unfortunately I can't find the results. Hopefully they will be posted soon,.

11. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for keeping this thread updated Bill. C'mon Texas, let's get some points for the last ever Showdown!! [​IMG]

12. Spec 4 Groins

Spec 4 Groins 25+ Posts

Texas men finished 3rd behind O-State and Oklahoma. Texas A&M men were 4th.
    Texas women were runner-up behind Iowa State. Texas A&M women were 6th.

13. Bill in Sinton

Thanks Spec. That means we now lead again with 2 1/2 points to 1. We needed these two points today.

14. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] Way to go CC!

7 points to retaining.

1/2 in volleyball
    2 likely in swimming
    1-2 in golf
    1-2 in tennis
    1/2-1 in basketball
    1 in baseball Augie owns aggy
    1/2-1 in softball with Luna

Dont see points coming from T&F or football so that is five lost points.

If we get 1 point each from golf and tennis we have to get 5 more points to retain. If we can sweep either of those two it would be huge. Not going to be easy but the Horns right now at least have the edge. [​IMG]

15. Bill in Sinton

FW I agree on the T&F field sweep unfortunately but I do have faint hope that our Women's Indoor T&F can get us one point because they barely lost to the Aggies last year but unfortunately the Aggies will still get at least 3 out of 4.

There are 2 1/2 points available during the rest of 2011 and they will all be decided in November.

Nov. 4 in Austin at 6 P.M. will be Women's Swimming and Diving. We should get it but it is no giveme because our Ladies had it close against the Aggies. Since the football game is the next day in Austin it would be great if lots of support for our Ladies could be in the stands and help get this important point.

11-23 Volleyball in College Station at 6:30 P.M. Our team lost an important half point last year at CS or we would have got the trophy outright. Hopefully they will sweep them this year. It is not just the critical half point at stake but also this is the final game of the regular season and momentum to the playoffs will be critical and a loss at CS would be a blow.

Then of course on 11-24 at CS will be football at 7 P.M. The Aggies will no doubt be favored especially since the game is at CS but I think the Horns are capable of winning it if they keep improving as the year goes along. We will see.

16. Bill in Sinton

I looked at the schedule and am not sure about how the softball point will be allocated. The schedule shows we are playing 3 games with A&M in late April, 2012 with the first game in CS and the remaining two in Austin. It still says each game is worth 0.5 points but I wonder if it is going to be two out of three for the whole point like in baseball. That could be a blow as I am not sure we can win two out three against the Aggies in softball.
    But for now the main thing is for our Women's Swimming and Diving team to get a point tomorrow. Go Horns!

17. Bill in Sinton

The Women's Swimming and Diving team are competing with the Aggies for an important point on the Longhorn Network. Unfortunately it isn't available in our area and I guess we aren't going to get any cooperation with those that have it to post results. Hopefully it will be on the web site soon. Go Horns!

18. Bill in Sinton

Great news as our Ladies took the Women's Swimming and Diving point with a score of 197 to 103. The UT coach was very pleased with the fan support too. Well done UT fans! And well done Ladies! This gives us the lead now at 3 1/2 to 1. [​IMG]

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] 6 points to retain, 6 1/2 for outright win.

20. Bill in Sinton

FW we have 1 1/2 points left in November which will conclude the points available until January. That is 1/2 for volleyball and 1 for football. I think this year that our Ladies will get the 1/2 point in volleball since it is the last match of the regular season and they will be getting ready for the playoffs.
    Before the year I gave the football point to the Aggies but if our team continues to improve week by week and take one game at a time I think they might be able to win that point at CS. We will see. It would be great to have a 5-1 lead going into January but if not it should at least be 4-2. Go Horns!

21. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Mens golf is now ranked number one in country. [​IMG]

With okie State and aggy also looking good this one will be interesting.

22. s102r18

s102r18 250+ Posts

In reply to:

23. Bill in Sinton

Thanks for the correction s102. FW do you think we will still get the 1/2 point in volleyball at CS since we have had these injuries. I hope so but am not as confident as I was.

24. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Well Bill, I know you didn't ask me, but i'll give my 2 cents. Prior to the injury, the aggies had no hope of winning that game. Now they have hope. I would not be surprised to see the match go 4 sets or even 5. We still have a much better team, but less room for errors. As Kelsey Black goes so goes the Aggies. If we can get into her head and shut her down the way we did so well in Austin, we'll have no problems. But I don't expect that in College Station. It will be a battle. If we play well and limit the errors, I say Texas in 4.

25. Bill in Sinton

Thank you for you comments Tempest. Yes even though I was asking for FW's opinion it is still open to everone who wants to participate. Let's hope you are right about our win in CS because we sure need that half a point.

26. Bill in Sinton

We have 1 1/2 points at stake the next two days with 1/2 for volleyball and the other full point for football. I will wait till the results are in and have an update discussion because the next points won't be availalbe until Jan. 11, 2011 in Men and Women's basketball. Go Horns!

27. Bill in Sinton

We now lead 4-1 as our Volleyball team went to CS and took care of business and got the 1/2 point. We have the football point tomorrow and that will be it until January. This early lead was expected and our Horns delivered. Tomorrow we will either lead 5-1 or 4-2. Go Horns! [​IMG]

28. tamster

tamster 500+ Posts

bill,

i hope you don't mind if i update the showdown score. Thanks to a never-quit effort and great special teams play and defense (except for punting) and a last-second FG, we take the football point and lead 5-1!!! WINNING!!!

skc

29. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Football point goes on the board.

That gives Texas some breathing room but this will still be a nailbiter spring to get 5 more points and win this thing one final time.

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

5-1 now, but basically tied as aggy should get 4 in track. Doesn't really matter now with 27-25.