Last Ever State Farm Lonestar Showdown

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FWHORN, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Spec 4 Groins

Spec 4 Groins 25+ Posts

Hey Bill Byrne-

Bend over. Deloss Dodds has a going-away LSS trophy present for you. Justin Tucker set the trend last November in kicking Aggie butt and it ended today on a soggy green in Lawrence, Kansas.
    Your record in the Lone Star Showdown was 1-5-2. Your friends from the state capital have prepared you for what is to come in the SEC.
    You're welcome

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sweet!! Way to go, Ladies Golf! [​IMG]
    Now softball needs to win their series today.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Even though the baseball point went to aggy, the Horns get a bottom of the ninth rally for two runs and a walk off 2-1 win in the series finale.

To put ribbon on why mens golf could play so well yesterday and today putting up best score of any team both days yet still finish second, their first round score of 302 was 10 strokes off any of their other three round scores. They just cratered that round and couldnt overcome it.

Just softball left now to end a great Sunday for Longhorn sports. [​IMG]

4. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

Texas clinches the final Lone Star Showdown inter-sport series. DeLoss gets to keep his doorstop.

5. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

What makes the women's golf performance particularly impressive is their top player, and defending Big 12 Champion Madison Pressel is out for the season with an injury. Really sad news as this was the best lineup women's golf has had in a longtime, and also the best opportunity to make some noise in post-season play. Pressel will be back next season but our other top player, Vandermade, graduates. Would have really been nice to see what the current group could have done together in NCAA play. The remaining team could still do well but their chances aren't nearly as good without Pressel. But at least they clinched the Showdown point for us! Great job!

6. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Classy comments by ATM's womens tennis coach, something that could not be said about their baseball coach Friday evening.

Thank goodness the women golfers won their tournament. Pretty impressive considering their best player is out with injuries.. Congratulations to them.

Hope the softballer rally up again.

7. LakeErieHorn

LakeErieHorn 500+ Posts

Thank you Connie

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Softball gets the win today 4-3 to take the series and the point. [​IMG]

That caps a fantastic Sunday for Texas sports and moves the score to 11-6. With T&F a foregone conclusion you can close out this LSS as an 11-8 Texas win. If not for T&F where aggy has spent more money and put in more resources than anyone else (not that there is anything wrong with that) this would be 11-4.

BTW just to pat my own shoulder back in January I predicted Texas would get 11 points, of course I had baseball, womens tennis and mens golf.

Looking back the biggest upset point was womens basketball taking the full point, maybe the most disappointing but not shocking loss was mens golf with womens tennis a distant second (though they came back today). Mens golf should still challenge for an NC which will make up for this tough weekend for them. Disappointing but not that surprising is baseball which just isnt that good this year and didnt catch any breaks or hot bats until the ninth inning today. The pleasant surprises were mens tennis which managed to win the one time the point was at stake out of the three times it played aggy and womens golf which shot a fantastic round today to move all the way to second.

Back in September I thought Texas would have tough sledding to win this year and hoped for a tie at best to retain it one final time. This was especially true with football expected to be down, baseball down and the thought that getting a 1/2 point of the 2 full in basketball was going to be tough. Instead 3 full points from football and basketball get Texas from 8 to 11 the margin needed.

All in all a satisfying final LSS for those of us who have followed it these past 8 years. The final record is 5-1-2 with Texas taking the trophy six times and aggy twice.

I know I am in the minority about aggy leaving as I for one will miss this rivalry and hope after a couple of years it comes back. There is too much history and tradition behind these matchups to throw them out and I look forward to their return when cooler heads at both Universities take over. [​IMG]

9. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

I agree with your sentiments in part, except I have observed such persistent lack of class and dishonesty from ATM that I could care less if Texas ever again honors them with an athletic competition.

With no thought of the consequences to any other member of the Big 12, ATM for the sake of money, ego or whatever drove them, abandoned a conference to which they committed a year ago and then lied about the reasons for their departure.

Good riddance to them.

10. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Suck it aggy, now GTFO

11. LakeErieHorn

LakeErieHorn 500+ Posts

Lets just be grateful there is no trophy like this for UT vs Baylor this year.

12. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

13. jdelatorre

jdelatorre 500+ Posts

From FWHorn

Bill is having some computer issues but sent this to me via email and I am posting here:

My home computer is having problems and it made me have to log in to HornFans but I am unable to get my password from the Administrator and I didn't want to leave everyone hanging but I may not be able to post there anymore and if not it has been a great ride. Please let everyone know I am delighted that we were able to get the cup for this potentially last time.

Also please let LakeErieHorn that I calculated and even though Baylor won the major sports we still were ahead of them and would have beat them in a cup match.

I did post at the Burnt Orange Fan web site.

Thanks FWHORN!

Hook 'em!

Bill Telford A.K.A. Bill in Sinton

Hey Admins, get Bill his login we need his focusness reminders and football season is just 4 months away!

Used to be in Fort Worth now living in the Cayman Islands and loving life.
    Post Extras:      

14. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

15. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

We still would have one it against Baylor even though they got most of the major sports.

16. Bill in Sinton

WE WON!! THE TROPHY STAYS IN AUSTIN!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Bill in Sinton

FWHORN and I were close to our analysis last September. I thought it would be extremely close too. I expected the Aggies to get football and women's basketball. I was hoping we would get a split in men's basketball. I also thought that we would need to sweep Golf and Tennis and get a split in the Outdoor Women's Track and Field since we came so close last year. But things worked out different and there were much more pleasant surprises than not.
    We were the ones that swept both basketball points and football and those 3 unexpected points were critical. The only major disappointment and very unpleasant surprise was our Men's Golf team giivng up the point mainly by having a bad first day. A minor one was our women's tennis team getting beat at A&M but I knew it would be close because the Aggies always play tough in CS. I expected our Men's Tennis team to get the point which they did thanks mainly to Mr. Ben Chen's great herorics.
    Then we cinched it thanks to a great third day by our Women's Golf team and our Softball team coming back to get two close wins after being beaten by a nine run rule.

We have cinched the cup and it took great effort. If A&M gets both Outdoor Track and Field points it will be a final 11-8 score which is still fairly close. Of course 10-9 would have been extreamly close but I would have taken it.
    Now if our Women's Outdoor Track and Field can somehow win out it would make it 12 to 7 which is a solid victory which would be nice. I hope they can and even though they are ranked No. 1 so was our Golf team and we know what happened there. Still would be nice.

[​IMG]

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

At this point the points don't count. What counts is when aggy wants to show their grandkids the trophy they will have to apply for a visa to see it in Austin.

19. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Re: ...they will have to apply for a visa to see it in Austin.

And pay with MasterCard. Priceless!!!!

20. Bill in Sinton

Even though we have cinched it there will still be more competition starting next Friday for the Men and Women Outdoor Track and Field points at the Big 12 Tournament in Manhattan, Kansas from May 11 - 13. I still hope we can get another point. We lead 11 - 6.

Go Horns!

21. Bill in Sinton

Of the 19 points available 10 were from Women's Sports and 9 were from Men's Sports, By there methods we would have won the majority of sports available to each one. We now have won 5 of the 9 Men's Sports and 6 of the 10 women's sports.

[​IMG]

22. Bill in Sinton

The final two points were decided today in Men and Women's Outdoor Track and Field with the Aggies getting the men's point and the UT Women hanging on to get the other point which makes the final score UT 12 A&M 7.

Cheers for FW who predicted we would get 12 points in the beginning!

What is great is that both teams are young and have shown great improvement and hopefully will be competing for NCs in the future.

In the meantime we can celebrate our dominance in winning
    the trophy in what may be the final year of the competition.

Well done Horns. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Way to send AM packing to the SEC!
    Good Job Texas Sports!

24. OrangeOsoFu

OrangeOsoFu 100+ Posts

NIce win in the final showdown We need to find a permanent place to place the trophy as the Showdown is history. Hookem...

25. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Congrats to womens outdoor track, Big XII Champions and to the men who finished a strong second and won several individual titles.

Will be interesting to see how both place at nationals as both have a real shot to place highly and the women have a real shot at winning it all. [​IMG]

Fantastic end to the LSS at 12-7 for the Horns.

26. Bill in Sinton

We deserved to keep it not only by the winning the last year but by total years. We won it by six years to two years with both schools winning it once each by the tie breaker rule.

I am so happy

---and focused.

[​IMG]

27. MarylandHorn

MarylandHorn 500+ Posts

28. Bill in Sinton

This year we also ruled in both men and women's sports.
    We got 7 of the 10 women's points and 5 of the 9 men's points. Also of the utmost importance is that we won the football game.

[​IMG]

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I will never understand how Texas let football count one point and T&F count 4, and Deloss then lose track of who $Bill was hiring.

30. Bill in Sinton

I know what you mean Viper. $Bill was hiring the best coach to coach a sport that counts for 4 points in the competition. Maybe Deloss was just concentrating on the extra revenue at the time.