Lawyers - advice about an IRS problem

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by VacantlyOccupied, Oct 6, 2007.

1. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

So my brother's got some outstanding income tax debt and the IRS has started jacking his paycheck.

Short of calling manny escobar, what should he do? Is the best bet to sit down with a lawyer to find out his options? He's got some cash, but not enough to pay the whole thing off immediately.

Advice would be appreciated. Names & numbers of attorneys probably would as well.

ps - OU Sucks.

2. shaq

shaq 100+ Posts

where do you live?

I know a guy in Houston that got them off my companies ***.

3. VacantlyOccupied

He's in Austin.

4. VacantlyOccupied

Bringing this up since I posted it over the weekend. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

5. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

so it sounds like he failed to file and or pay and now the IRS is garnishing his wages.

what he could have done is set up a payment plan with them before this happened (perhaps he did) because now they have done it for him

there are tons of services that help with this, just ask fficial&client=firefox-a>google

6. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

So he just ignored the shitload of warning they probably sent him? He may have missed much of his opportunity for a friendly resolution via a payment plan. If his debt is less than his assets he may be able to settle the debt, but perhaps not since he they already are garnishing his wages.

I am guessing he doesn't have any real assets or they woudl ahve already put leins on those?

not a good spot to be in to be sure.

7. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

yeah, not to be unsympathetic, but it sounds like he just blew them off.

I had some IRS debt a while back and worked out a payment plan until I paid it off. They were actually pretty reasonable to work with in terms of payments. And I even missed a couple, but as long as I made regular payments, they never said anything or made me "catch up".

He should contact them and work out something to stop the wage garnishment.