LB: best year of MB's tenure

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by CraigHorn, Feb 26, 2008.

1. CraigHorn

CraigHorn 500+ Posts

The potential is there for us to see the best play out of our LB's of the MB era. Consider, for example, the case of Sr leader RBobino--a really solid college LB--who started in every game for our MNC team as a freshman. He's a fifth yr Sr in a dogfight for a starting position.

1. Talent, depth, versatility, and experience
    *Bobino (5th Sr), *Kindle (Jr), *Muck (4th Jr) *Noron (Jr), Keenan Robinson (RFr), Earnest (3rd Soph) all with letters. +DJohnson wild card

2. Enhanced coaching

3. Nos 1-2 coupled with the fact that LB play hasn't been a team strength over the past several years.

1-3 translate into potential for best LB corps contributions of MB era

[​IMG]

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Not so sure about the "not being a team strength" thing. For the last 10 years, everyone's been saying how awesome the LBs will be next year. The only real instance of this was DJ, and even then we weren't a great LB unit.

If Muschamp turns them into a bunch of dominators, great. But we're going to have to wait and see with the whole scheme change for next year.

3. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

LB play has been extremely weak the last 2 years. We haven't gotten many sacks or turnovers from this position at all. 06 you had a young and then injured Muck, a young Bobino, and Kill who seemed to take a step back from his play in 05. In 07 we added some depth with Norton, Kindle, and Earnest, however Kindle missed much of the summer and a few of the early games. Derry stepped up but was never a big playmaker. Norton and Muck played more but still not enough IMO.

This year as mentioned above we have the talent, depth, new coaching, and reshuffled starting line-up.

Another thing to mentioned is that these guys are actually starting to look like LB's.

Kindle, 6-4, 239
    Earnest, 6-3, 233 (+ 12 lbs)
    Johnson, 6-2, 237
    Norton, 6-3, 242 (+ 6 lbs)
    Bobino, 5-11, 238 (+ 10 lbs)
    Muckelroy, 6-2, 230
    Robinson, 6-3, 220 (+ 10 lbs)

This is a bigger unit than we have had the last couple of seasons. It is obviously deeper than we have had. It should be better coached. It think it is more talented as well. I don't see how this won't be a strong unit this year.

4. origino

origino 250+ Posts

5. starchild

starchild 500+ Posts

this probably should be the best lb unit. if it turns out to be, the difference will be boom. the guys just need to pick up the scheme.

6. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

7. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

Beat me to it. If Norton is 6-3 then Robinson is at least 6 4 1/2.

There may be something to this idea. Norton could be the best MLB of the Mack Brown era, and Robinson at least looks like the best pass covering SLB I've seen during that time. Muck is no DJ, but is way ahead of many of the WLBs we have had recently. Kindle and Bobino should add experienced depth.

More importantly Muschamp seems to be doing a better job coaching them than any coach from the past decade, although it's really not fair (rational?) to judge after two days practice in shorts.

8. homerwight

homerwight 100+ Posts

Anyone know how Kindle's recovery os going? Was it really microfracture surgery? I could never find any links to confirm. If so we'll probably lose him for 2008=09.

9. anotherwebexpert

anotherwebexpert 100+ Posts

Last 2 years being weak? I won't go as far as making the analogy that calling a group Mack's best linebacker corp is the equivalent of being the smartest man in Arkansas, but it has never been the strength of one of his defenses in his time at Texas.

Heck, the first group might have been the best one in terms of making plays.

Many reasons for the why, but the bottom line is that this is an area that continually has been a weak spot and needs to improve.

10. Austin10

Austin10 100+ Posts

I hope you're right. It just made me laugh out loud when the Holiday Bowl announcers talked about how experienced the LB corps were and how they anchored the Texas defense

[​IMG]