Looking at Kansas State 2017

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Texas returns home to face the Wildcats of Kansas State at 6:00 p.m. LHN's Texas GameDay begins @ 4, with GameDay Final following the contest. The forecast calls for partly cloudy skies with a high of 76°. Wind from the NE at 6 mph and a 10% chance of showers.

Here's a look behind the curtain of The Great and Powerful Wizard of Ooze:

Record: 3-1

After scoring 55 each game against powder puffs, KState cradled versus Vandy, losing 7-14. In week four they hosted the Bailor Bares and flushed that stink 33-20.

Strengths:
    • QB Jesse Ertz has completed 52% of his throws for 706 yards and two INT's. Ertz is also the team's leading rusher averaging 83 YPG.
    • The offense has scored TD's in 11 of 19 trips into the red zone.
    • The Purple Wizard. 'nuf said.
    Highlights:

Tendencies:
    HC Bill Snyder's sorcery is legendary. Against Texas, the Purple Wizard tends to brew Pee-wee Herman's vocal cords and essence of opossum to cause the Horns to squeal, roll over and play dead all too often.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Coaching makes a tremendous difference with our current personnel. We went from a cast of characters that were stuck on Gilligan’s Island to a hungry bunch of big dogs in a very timely fashion. One spring made them aware—fall camp honed a backbone of mindset. Three games convinced these guys of the difference between the old versus the new. My hat is off to the defensive staff and the pride they have instilled back into defensive football—Texas style.

We win the LOS every down. We cover receivers instead of grass. We always have one more defender available on the few occasions that we miss a first hit tackle. We pursue the ball with an ugly disposition. Best of all we hit every thing dressed in opposite color with football vigor. Smile if you re-wind defensive plays several times this season and sadly recall fast-forwarding all too often in the past several years.

We still miss tackles. We still take occasional bad angles. We still lose contain with poor decisions. We still can’t play solid underneath zone coverage. We still make bad reads. If you are paying attention the best part of all these ills is the fact that we are reducing the overall numbers in each of the bad habits mentioned.

Starters no longer are worn out in crunch time. We are getting tremendous production from a variety of non-starters at all three levels on our defense. We are trusting snaps to seldom seen defenders from years past. They are providing instant accountability. Thank you defensive staff.

[More at IT]

3. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I watched the Bay vs K St game and I'd say 90% of the time K St was running the ball. The QB more than the RB's. I'd stack the line the whole game and dare them to pass their way to victory. They would get a TD or two but I just don't see that QB lighting it up in the air.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It is getting better, but ou, OSU and TCU play offense at a level that this team has yet to see. Texas beating one of that group should serve as promise of much better days ahead next season.

5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Kansas State receivers have dropped 10 passes in their past two games. It’s a problem that is beginning to feel less like a fluke and more like than the norm.

Fixing those mistakes ranks near the top of Bill Snyder’s to-do list as he prepares K-State for its next game against Texas.

His remedy: positivity.

“You’ve got to get them thinking about the things they do right, as opposed to what they didn’t necessarily do right,” Snyder said Monday during his time on the Big 12 teleconference. “You’ve got to be careful that you don’t become fearful of the football being thrown to you or worry about dropping it. It’s just being focused on doing the little things right.”

....Though Isaiah Zuber, Byron Pringle and Isaiah Harris all dropped passes, Snyder thought they ran quality routes and exerted good effort.

Still, they need to improve. Quarterback Jesse Ertz completed 26 of 35 passes for 511 yards and four touchdowns in K-State’s first two games. In his last two, those passing numbers dipped to 17 of 45 for 195 yards a touchdown and two interceptions.

[More at Kansas City Star]

6. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Texas D will have a field day with that. We don't have to work that hard to make the cats one dimensional.

7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Is theTexas offense on the move? Gabe at TFB thinks it could be....

Overall, I like what I see. The staff is making efforts to help the players succeed. Though embattled, you can’t ask for more than that. Would you be more upset not seeing some of these simple changes? I would. That’s not the case with Herman and Beck, that’s respectable. What it’s not is, getting the job done on a consistent basis. Every game, you see glints of what could be. A well-executed block here and there is all you need to see a more explosive offense.

Given Herman’s responses this week, a development to keep your eye on is Toneil Carter. Toneil has speed. Look for the staff to create more opportunities for the freshman back. Hopefully, by the end of this week, that’ll be a whole other subject!​

------------

(To the tune of "Where Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone")
    Where oh where is my man, Kirk Johnson
    Oh where oh where can he be
    We've yet to see him out on the field
    Is it his urine or knee

• Like Like x 4
  8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Seriously! I haven’t seen anything at all about KJ in a while

• Like Like x 1
  9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^this. I think Orlando sees the same thing. KSU cannot pass their way to a victory over the Horns. Our front seven is putting pressure on QB's and our D backs are getting the job done.

If the horns stop the run they have a very good chance to win the game. If we don't load the box and stop the KSU bread and butter, i.e., their run game, then we will all be following Elvis's lead and shooting the screens out of the TV. Or pulling our hair out in the stands. You get the idea.

Our offense will be challenged to score. Boo must have enough time to throw deep, and occasionally over the middle. Our receivers are big, fast and the core is deep. We should be able to win enough battles in the over the top pass game to win this game.

Our run game is another thing. Sadly. Our O line will have its hands full with KSU's front seven. They are tough and extremely well coached. We need to stick with the run, even if its failing, to keep the KSU rushers honest. Warren and the freshmen backs should get the lions share of the carries.

Also, we need to mix in screens, swing passes and bubble screens to slow their rush. Boo must read the blitz and audible to defeat it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Absolute statements have a way of biting people in the a$$. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

The Kirk Johnson Saga is one of the truly sad tales on Longhorn football history. So much promise that will never see the field.

12. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Glad to know that I am not the only one to cringe at that post. We are talking about the Purple Wizard here.

13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Remember RB Tristian Houston? He's now K-State's starting QB. He was, also, Maryland's QB earlier this year. On our scout team.

------------

From the official Kansas State Football website....

A Look At The Series:
    • The Wildcats lead the all-time series against Texas, 10-7 – including a 9-4 mark in Big 12 play – but are 3-6 in Austin.
    • The home team has won each of the last five contests.
    • The last visiting team to win the series was K-State, a 17-13 triumph in 2011.
    • The longest winning streak in the series belongs to the Wildcats, who won five-straight (2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012).
    ------------

Some Wildkitty's fan posted this hype video two days ago:

• Like Like x 1
  14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

ViperHorn: Absolute statements have a way of biting people in the a$$. ;)
    Rick Mueller: Glad to know that I am not the only one to cringe at that post. We are talking about the Purple Wizard here.

The purple wizard is special when it comes to getting victories over the horns. I get that.
    But...we have a very good defense. I am convinced of that. I may be proved wrong, but for now I'll pretend I'm right. If our defense schemes to stop the run and forces them to pass to beat us, our talent on the back end of the defense is better than their QB's passing to their receivers. That doesn't mean KSU won't score. They will. But we should not allow over 14 to a KSU forced into a passing offense.

The catch is, we have to score over 14. That's not a given. But I'm guessing we do.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

We're not even through his second year. It took three years to hear a peep out of Jordan Shipley or Fozzie Whitaker. Keep the powder dry.

• Like Like x 4
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Considering what Leach's defense did to USC's offense; what UCF did to Maryland (yes third string QB - whee); and who Iowa State is, I think we have the makings of a "good defense". Mayfield and Rudolph will determine what level of good. Bill Snyder has out coached every HC he has faced at Texas, and beaten us with less talent. I shall be delighted to watch a "very good defense" in Burnt Orange if it shows up Saturday.

17. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

I understand your points, however, I think one reason KSU has always given us a fit is because they play disciplined very physical football against us. I think this year, for the first time, we will be the most physical team on the field.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Team Nutshells

KSU – This team is solid all-around, a model of efficiency. KSU’s strengths lie in both running and defending the run, they do both well. Where they suffer some is in ‘explosive’ plays, consider them middle of the pack in that respect. Where they are weak is in passing and pass defense. That is where opportunities lie.

Something not oft paid attention to is field position. The field position game is one that carries influence and something KSU excels at and Texas does not. Part of that, I believe, is because Texas is not efficient of offense. This will be something to keep an eye on....

Offense

The KSU defense’s strength is run defense. On the surface, that is bad news for Texas. Yards will likely have to come through the air first. That doesn’t mean abandoning the run game. Only, that complimentary screen and quick passing should be used to help ‘soften’ the box.

The Pass – This is Shane’s strong-suit, but what you saw last week was a defense intent on eliminating big pass plays. Some things I noted about both the offense and KSU defense follows.

– Take It Easy: For an offense struggling with efficiency, why would you not take advantage of soft cushions. Throw it quick!

– 3rd Fix: Get creative, draws, slow screens (back or tight end), drag routes, and the sideline flat will be open for easy yards should KSU drop 7 or 8.

– Attack Deep: The glaring weakness of KSU’s defense has been pass ‘explosives’. Attack the safeties!

The Run – KSU is stout against the run. What I liked last week came as a surprise, freshman right tackle Derek Kerstetter run blocking. He tended to pair well with right gaurd Jake McMillon. If that continues, it may be a good idea to scheme runs behind the two of them.

Stick To It – Texas may not be good now, but that is no reason to give up on good concepts. Better execution, at every position, that’s what’s missing.

Read-Option & RPO – Against KSU’s 2-high defense, there should be plenty of opportunities to eat away at space to the alley or sideline flats.

Defense

KSU is incredibly efficient. They are multiple, using tight ends and a fullback to create all kinds of unique backfield alignments. What’s most important is always counting the quarterback as a runner.

Leads & Pullers – KSU can quickly create an extra 3 to 4 extra gaps play side when they run the quarterback. The question becomes, how to get numbers quickly to the play side?

– Attack The Field: Force more calls to the boundary, where speed and pursuit to limit damage.

The Pass – KSU is not a good passing team. Their passing game fits into their run game via RPO’s and play-action. If you’re not stopping the run, KSU may never pass. That said, this is where Texas... needs to bring numbers against the run...

– POP: KSU pokes and prods for play-option passes. They are pioneers in the field. Beware!

– Shots: Outside of some simple quick passes, KSU likes to attack off of play-action. The defensive backs will need to stay disciplined, especially the safeties who will often have run-pass conflicts.

Expect a good one. KSU is tough as nails and will try to slow-play the game all night. Purple Merlin always seems to make this one interesting. Godspeed to the offense this weekend, as I’m sure Longhorns faithful everywhere are praying for production. To the defense, stay thirsty, my friends.

[More at TFB]

• Like Like x 2
  19. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Vanderbilt held KSU to 7 points. So if our D holds KSU to double what they scored against Vandy, 14, that should be enough for us to win. In my world of predictions where Texas scores more than 14, we win the game.

One thing that the Purple Wizard will do is have his team play at the top of their game against us. He always does. And it will require our D to play very well to win the game. I can't see our O scoring more than 17 against the KSU D. Our D has been so good at scoring this year it wouldn't surprise me if they score to get our total over 20.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  20. OZZMAN

OZZMAN < 25 Posts

I think this will be very important this weekend and have some hope that Texas can win this battle. I know there are different variables involved, but if the defense remains solid and Dickson does not have any more really bad shanks, this could be a plus for us.

21. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Spot on Godz, exactly why I won't predict this one. The Wiz always comes w something we seem to be unable to counter. Without some new wrinkles in our O I am very fearful because even a good defensive effort won't, by itself, be enough. And I wouldn't be surprised if we turn their offense into a productive passing team for one game.

22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Is KSU really not a good passing team, or do they just not pass because they don't want to and don't have to? I've seen Ertz make some pretty good throws.

Obviously they didn't do anything well on offense against Vandy, but I don't think you can make any type of assesment from the 1st game of the season. Teams are still implementing fundamentals and trying to figure out strengths and weaknesses.

23. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Vandy was their third game of the season, so, they should have been tuned up against that SEC juggernaut.

• Like Like x 2
  24. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

MH says with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

• Like Like x 1
  25. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

They are a powerhouse. If I remember correctly, they are the only SEC school with a winning record against us at 3-8-1. Well, South Carolina beat us with our only matchup against them, so, I am going to pull a USC move and discount that game...I can because they have the same initials.

Link

• Like Like x 2
  26. WorsterMan

Correct.

As I recall, Vandy beat the Horns often when they played back around the turn of the century.... early days of UT football with the Horns starting varsity play in 1893. Me thinks Vandy was a bit of a powerhouse back in those days... but I may be thinking of the wrong college.

Horns need to schedule some games with The Commodores to try to improve that series record.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  27. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

You serious?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  28. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

29. WorsterMan

Bro - I'm as serious as a Brick House!!!

• Like Like x 3
  30. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

That's what happens when you use your phone to do internet research. I'm still not betting against the Wizard though, he's won when the talent difference was greater than it is now. The good news is he seems like he's starting to get a bit senile. I think this might be his last year.

• Like Like x 1