Looking for Head Count of Those Who Are Steadfast in Their Support

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RainH2burntO, Oct 9, 2020.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I started thinking... and am curious....
    We hear from the detractors and critics of TH, the team, and the program all the time.
    I myself like to think I'm a pretty even handed guy...like to look at things from multiple angles and be gracious whenever I can, so I have mixed feelings right now and plenty of criticism...though I still support TH, the boys, and the program 100%....I believe that is the only way to support someone.

What I am looking for is to hear from those who still have a good attitude, still have faith, still support, and are for Tom and this team....not for themselves or their own interests, feelings or fandom....those who still give all their support to the program and the coaches and players who comprise it.

I know I'm going to get alot of nuanced responses.. well of course I still support but but but but but. I know who you are and thats fine...I get it. But....

I'm looking for a head count of those who still fully support with little reservation (though maybe some disappointment)...and are annoyed by the constant criticism, bashing, complaining, and undermining and believe it to be unwarranted or at least unfair or over-the-top and harmful to the cause.

2. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Here's your first nuanced answer. I fully supported hiring. Herman. Urban Myer a'int happening. My only reservation is the lack of alternatives. Does Paul Chryst or Bronco Mendenhall excite anyone? That's who we're looking at. Why would any "hot young coach" come after Strong gone after 3 and Herman 4?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  3. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

A supporter? Yes. Steadfast? Nope.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not now and/or ever

I'd rather have Tom Herman for 20 years than Mendenhall for 20 minutes

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  5. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

I support the Longhorn Football team and its coaches for the 2020 season.

Plenty of time near game 10 to decide on the path for 2021.

Let all of them earn their future.

Go Horns!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I think there are plenty of legit criticisms, making the proliferation of emotionally based criticisms and rants that act like every aspect of the team has gone to hell even more bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Certainly any coach worth a damn is going to see the stupid schemes and lack of execution and realize what they could do with the talent pool in Texas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

I just looked at the Rivals top 10 list of HS players from 2020; 6 out of the 10 went to colleges outside Texas, and ZERO of them signed with UT.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Would love to have Chryst but he's a Wisconsin man and will probably retire there.

Pretty hard to disagree with this... vv

Urban Meyer sees it and I'm certain he's not alone. It reminds me of Bob Stoops stepping in and winning an NC in year two with John Blake's players.

10. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

How many years are considered sufficient to demonstrate tangible results? Three or four is not sufficient? I'd think a confident, top level coach would have the personal expectation that his team would be successful in three or four seasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I am in, a win against OU and the universe becomes back in line for the fence sitters.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The problem is Herman and his teams are still making the same stupid mistakes this season as they did in his first season. On top of that and more concerning is his defenses have never been able to tackle. He has been through two coordinators with no improvement. Don't give me the "it is the Big 12 crap" - KState and TCU know how to tackle.

Unless Herman finds some miracle coaching elixor he will never reach the level most of us wants to see Texas regain. However, unless Urban Myth hates Herman so much that he will coach for free or under a bonus laden contract nothing is going to happen after this season. The money hole has been sucked dry by all of the much needed Athletic Department construction and renovations.

Texas is stuck with Herman (and Smart) for at least 12 months if not longer. While CdC has lost a lot of credibility with me over the handling of the player revolt in all sports, he still is the best Texas can hope for unless Oliver Luck decides he likes Austin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Urban Meyer or Sonny Dykes for me!

• Like Like x 2
  14. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

I support TH at least through the end of the season. Though that could change if we lay a total turd tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Who has the turd clip from Caddyshack?

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

I'd come for the $30,000,000 to $35,000,000 in guaranteed salary. Win or lose.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

That wouldn't make financial sense....WHAT IF it turns out like Major League (think it's the right movie), when Tom Berenger (Tom Herman?) realizes ownership (BMDs) are against them and says "Well, there's only one thing left to do, then.... let's win the whole f-ing thing...." That would be CRAZY! (if Texas won out)

18. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I am a Knothole fan from grade school (Ed Price 1-9) and a graduate of UT. My loyalty will follow me to my grave. But the crap that went on with these baby boys has cost them my support and I can’t wait for some of them to be gone and have a coach who stands for character and high expectations for men wearing Texas uniforms. And if Tom can’t grow some stones, find someone who has a set between the legs.

I can take the losses until we right the ship. But I will never pull against the Horns and having lived in OK City in the seventies, I loathe those a - - hats. Most of the state hates everything Texas. Penis envy on steroids. But losing this year will not hurt as bad as past years. Why? My disgust for those aforementioned players.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I supported TH all the way until his attack on the fans. It's just too bad. But until we can get someone who respects the traditions of UT, I'm boycotting all of the University's athletics.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  21. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

^^^ I was confident HIC would find the clip! :bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It’s all I’m good for.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I support the team and the program - always have, always will.

However, as I stated here in the past I lost a great deal of respect for TH after how he handled the player situation while further placating them by throwing the fans under the bus. Skipping out on The Eyes after the TCU game further angered me....

IMO, this season TH has all the variables in place to win the conference. If he doesn't, I'll be ready for him to go.... whenever that is.

• Agree Agree x 5
  24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I was off the bandwagon after the ineptitude last year, and after he sided with the insurrection and against the University this summer, there is no way I am coming back. This man has the maturity and judgment of an adolescent.

The sooner he is gone the better. He might right the ship (which I doubt) but he is what he is and I don’t like it.

As for the alleged “cesspool,” I say baloney. There will always be a line of individuals who would give their left testicle to coach here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I support the Longhorns.

If they hire Urban Meyer, I’m out.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I always support the team even if they deserve to run bleachers. I don’t care what Herman said -it wasn’t that bad considering his job is to not “lose” the team. Say the right things and collect several million -who wouldn’t?
    Texas is a “football school” with tremendous support-and deserves top tier play every year. If it ain’t happening then you have to look elsewhere pretty quick. Overall it ain’t happening.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

So you don't support the longhorns if they win championships, but do if they lose to ****** teams every year. Got it....

• Hot Hot x 1
  28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sat thru the UCLA fiasco and kept coming back so I’m in it for the Horns even when unhappy.

The most disparaging thing for me is the racial crap but I’ll pull for them until they quit playing or my Dr says it’s not good for me - whichever comes first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

For the most part, he didn't. Almost all their key players in 2000 were Freshmen, Sophomores, or transfers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you! :yippee:

• Like Like x 1