Looks like Charlie about to get the bitter taste of...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn87, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

DEFEAT!! From a True Longhorn Legend---#11, Major Applewhite!! Don't know how you guys feel, but never did root for guys that did not perform or coach well for The University (including Mackovic and now Charlie)---Needless to say, this pleases me to no end. Shows Charlie that it DOES take some coaching if you are going to play against tough competition (and not just 2-3 times a year)---Hook 'em Major

• Like Like x 1
  2. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Major Applewhite may become another hot commodity out of Houston. Cougars are rolling.

3. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I take no pleasure in it. Charlie came in and tried his best (I think) and did nothing to embarrass the university. I wish him the best.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

if Texas beats Okie Lite tonight, Tom Herman will have 10 conference wins, breaking a 3 way tie (with Charlie and some other coach) with 9 conference wins at Texas....big stat, big stat....

5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

He fired Longhorn Major Applewhite and replaced him with Shawn Watson. That was not remotely trying to be "the best". Now Major Applewhite is 2-0 against South Florida. Last year, Applewhite outcoached Strong in Tampa Bay and beat a far more talented team. This year, he won by 21 over an undefeated, ranked South Florida despite Ed Oliver being injured and not playing. I do find it sweet that Longhorn Applewhite has now twice beaten the man that would not hire him

If Strong has retained Applewhite, he would possibly still be our coach. That said, it was for the best for Texas in the long run that Strong did not do so and is no longer the coach.

6. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I noticed something about that game. A one loss team teed it up against an undefeated team in a conference battle. Beautiful, perfect day for football in the greatest football state in the world. The 30,000 something seat stadium appeared to be 2/3's full at best. And Cougar Hi was thumping their collective chests a few short years ago about belonging in the B12? WTF?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I agree with this. If you cannot fill up your rinky dink 30,000 seat stadium for a game like that, you do not belong in a major conference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Maybe if they added some bleachers...

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. bsme92

bsme92 < 25 Posts

Mackovic coached the team that won the last SWC conference championship and the team that won the first Big 12 conference championship. So he did produce while at the University but had a horrific 1997 season. And the bowl games following the conference championships were poor showings. But he did win while at UT.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

He also brought Ricky Williams to UT.

11. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

The fact that Charlie Strong lost a game brings me no pleasure or tears either way. It didn't work out and now he's the head coach of a directional commuter college in the nation's armpit's butthole. Why do we care?

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Wait, when did Charlie go to College Station?

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Mackovic called or corfirmed the call for "Roll Left". I know he expected Brown to run, but it was still a gutsy call. Mackovic definitely deserves a page in the UT Football history book.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I think McWilliams recruited Priest Holmes, but Mackovic signed him after McWilliams was fired.

• Like Like x 1