Louie Mueller's in Taylor

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by C-Man, Nov 25, 2007.

1. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

Well, I've hit most of Texas' "can't-miss" BBQ joints now. The only two that get tons of love on this board that I haven't been to are City Market in Luling and Black's in Lockhart. Today, I knocked out Louie Mueller's in Taylor on my drive back to Dallas from San Antonio. Mueller's is the last of Texas Monthly's "Holy Trinity" from 1997 for me to try. I didn't get to Kreuz's until after the nasty break-up (and was there the day after Xmas and was assured by a regular customer that it was VERY sub-par the day we went) but have been to Cooper's a bunch of times (not in two or three years, though).

All that said, I got to Louie Mueller's about 3 or so. I was excited because they still had brisket. It's been my experience with the other 'cue places listed above that if you're not there earlier than that, they're going to be out of a lotta stuff. My wife and 2-year-old girl were in tow so I ordered 3/4 pound of brisket and 1/2 pound of sausage. They were out of everything else other than pork tenderloin and turkey.

I LOVED the seasoning on the brisket but it was a bit tough. It had a nice smoke ring on it but like I said, it was tough. (Maybe it was because it was 3 but they were going to be open for three more hours.) The sausage -- regular not jalapeno b/c the wifey does not do spicy very well -- was OK. I really liked the ambience in there but it was no different than Smitty's or Cooper's. They're all good in that department. I had a side of pintos -- they were out of slaw and potato salad -- a bag of Lay's and a lemonade.

Anyway, I'm glad I took the slight detour to give it a shot but if Louie Mueller's is better than Cooper's in Llano, then the latter has really, really slipped since the last time I was there.

2. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

It's possible you got there on an off day; I've probably been to Louie's about 100+ times & would say that parts of it haven't been "proper" only about 3 times.

I know you had to do about a 30 minute deviation to get there (if you did it right, it was 79 NE off of 35, then 95 all the way to Temple), but give it another try.

Oh, & on weekends they sometimes have beef ribs.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

i got there one day when they were opening for lunch and their brisket was the best I had ever eaten.

* never been to luling or lockhart, but compared to other "legends", it dominated.

4. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

5. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

City Market in Luling is the best of the bunch....

6. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

If you go back to Mueller's, make sure and try a beef rib.

You need to hit Luling, that is easily the best bbq I have ever had.

7. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

You missed an opportunity with the jalapeno sausage. It's some of the best out there. I have had bad experiences at every joint that I've hit more than once or twice, even City Market in Luling. Cooper's on a good day is still my favorite, though City Market is right behind. Louie Mueller's is great, but I've never had a great all-around meal there. There has always been something sub-par, and it is usually the brisket.

8. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

OK, I'm jealous. We went through Taylor about the same time on our way back from IL and couldn't find the place. Even stopped for directions but the guy didn't know where it was. Sent us off to some other place [​IMG]

Edit: Just looked it up online. We were going through on Sunday and they are closed. So I'm not quite as [​IMG] , just more [​IMG]

9. NCAAFBALLROX

Anyone in Taylor who doesn't know where to find Louie Mueller's is

a) aggy & Somehow knew you wee Longhorn.
    b) Dirt Burglar & somehow knew you were Longhorn.
    c) An idiot.
    d) Just moved to town one day earlier.
    e) Lives somewhwere else (like San Marcos, maybe) & only works on the fringes of town.
    f) A plain 'ol *******.

Honestly, it's about as easy to find as can be... I'm not going to say you did anthing wrong by not finding it, just that you asked the wrong person.

I would have tried a different gas station or two for directions.

Maybe next go 'round.

10. txboy_in_az

txboy_in_az 100+ Posts

I grew up my whole life in Taylor and loved Louie Mueller's. My favorite place, however, is a bit hidden. The Taylor Cafe, run by a man named Vincel Mares, a little old man who helped raised my mother after her father died when she was younger, is where I grew up. If you're on Main St, head south until you come to the bridge that heads into the ghetto. Instead of going over the bridge, you can go right beside it, and it's right around that corner on the right. Best brisket, turkey sausage is practically famous. It's actually still segregated; not by rule, but by choice. Everyone gets along, but still chooses to sit on certain sides of the place. I highly recommend stopping by there if you're in Taylor. Tell him Kenny Horne sent you.

11. DallasHorn

DallasHorn 100+ Posts

I met him 2 months ago. I stopped in Taylor and ate there instead of Mueller's. Taylor Cafe was the best barbeque I have ever had. The place is like no other. It is the oldest business in Taylor, cash only, no air conditioning, only fans. The best brisket I have ever tasted. If you go you will feel like you are going back in ime, if yu find the place not easy, but by the railroad in downtown Taylor. My opinion is that Mueller's is not what it used to be...

12. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

If I had a date with a super hot chick and only had an average time, I think I'd go out with her again just to make sure - her being super hot and all.

13. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

I have not eaten at Taylor Cafe in many a moon, but the times I ate there it was excellent....

14. uisge beatha

Well, I was wearing a Longhorn sweatshirt - it's possible even an aggie could have figured it out [​IMG]

15. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Most likely not; unless you were looking for mutton...

16. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

LM in Taylor is the ****. I rank it right behind Cooper's but then again for me everything is right behind Cooper's.

17. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

LM is usually good, but Taylor Cafe's brisket (all their food for that matter) is better.

I lived in Coupland for a while, fished in the Taylor Bass Club for years and my daughters were born in Taylor, so I ate at Taylor Cafe every chance I could.

18. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Born in Taylor; grew up in SA.

I would say the brisket at Louie Muellers is the best I have ever had. And I have been to Coopers, Smitty's, Kreuz, Luling City Market, Blacks...

Best overall is Kreuz in my book. Luling City Market is #2 overall but Louie Muellers has the best brisket.

19. uisge beatha

Field, are you talking about Kreutz before the split? Cause these days, I'd take Shmittys over Kreutz's

20. Smoky Brisket

Smoky Brisket 100+ Posts

Vencil's ribs are the best I've ever had.

21. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I have been to Kreuz before and after the split. And been to Smitty's obviously post the split (since it is where Kreuz was). And honestly it is still my favorite, pre and post...........

22. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Did somebody say Louis Mueller's?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. NCAAFBALLROX

Hornius, I recall those shots from the 1st "Post a Photo" thread.

If there wasn't a restaurant, & I could live inside Louie Mueller's space, I would. That is the only preferred "city or town living" I'd do. & It's not for the Q (although I do love me some Louie Mueller's).

24. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

drove out there yesterday for lunch from my office in austin. took austinvines with me.

environment: A+: hornius emeritus' photo posts say it all. draft shiner bocks in ball jars, sitting on the picnic table under walls that are brown from years of smoke, in what is essentially a huge old shed. great old school place.

sausage and jalapeno sausage: solid B. both really good, especially the spicy stuff.

brisket: F, by default. we got there at 12:45. "out of brisket." uh, ok, during the lunch hour. that's a problem. especially for a big "famous" place like this. at a one man shack or stand i might understand, but at louis mueller's? at lunch?

pork ribs: C: overpowered with black pepper rub, cooked ok. thye were cold. i guess i am spoiled on city market's pork ribs.

beef ribs: B. huge, each one was over $6 a piece. i wrapped mine and took it and ate it later in the afternoon in the office. it was good, but county line, iron works, and artz are all better.

sides (what i tried, i usually dont waste time on anything but beans and jalapenos): B. good, plain beans and a side of subtle, thin "sauce" if you can even call it that, which really let the flavor of the meat come out.

I'll stop in again if i am going through taylor (although it would be a tough call between that and taylor cafe). i have to be in burnet this afternooon, so i'm hitting opie's, and old standby when i'm in the area.

25. Tim & Omar's Apt

Tim & Omar's Apt 100+ Posts

5 year lurker and 1st post.

I grew up in Taylor and now live in Dallas. I was at Louie's on Friday. My chopped beef sandwich was excellent, as was my sausage and potato salad.

Back to Vencil's, I have been there more than Louie's and like it better. The turkey sausage is to die for, although it's a bit expensive. Definately a must for any BBQ lover.

26. NCAAFBALLROX

Welcome to the collective, Tim & / or Omar.

Don't forget the cardinal rule for a first time poster: o.U. Sux **** through a silly straw.

27. Tim & Omar's Apt

Thanks NCAA,
    You are so very correct. ou sux much feces through a gigantic straw. It's 8:02 AM Christmas Eve, and ou has never sucked more.

28. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

Welcome former domicile of Tim and Omar. Could you please explain the reasoning for finding yourself in one of the best 'cue joints in the entire world, and opting to order a chopped beef sandwich? I've had this same argument with my own mother, who drove hours out of her way to sample Cooper's based on my recommendation. When she reported that it was merely mediocre, I asked her what she ordered. "Chopped beef sandwich." WTF? At least you enjoyed yours, and having grown up in Taylor, I'm sure you've had ample opportunities to sample Louie Mueller's other offerings, and I can even entertain the possibility that the chopped beef sandwich holds a special place in your heart from your childhood.

Going to one of the temples of barbecue and not ordering one or more of the holy trinity (brisket, sausage, pork ribs) is blasphemous. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I haven't spoken to my mother since her ill fated Cooper's expedition.

29. Tim & Omar's Apt

I didn't have ample funds on me. Plus, as you stated, I have been
    there many times having grown up there and didn't really think much
    of it. I do agree with you though. If I went to Cooper's, Kreutz's, etc.
    I would NEVER order a chopped beef.

30. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

Meuller's is greatness, chopped beef or not.