Luis Mendoza

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by sblazer, Aug 13, 2008.

1. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

now i know the rangers pitching staff pretty much sucks ***, but there just HAS to be someone out there to be another starter besides mendoza. i seriously think he's our worst starter. he's much better suited for middle relief.

i honestly think there's only one start by him this year where he hasnt given up more than 3 runs in the first two innings. i'm serious. he's only given up 2 so far and it's the bottom of the 2nd so he's actually doing better than he usually does to start off games. that is sad. [​IMG]

ooh well. i'll still always be rooting for them to win!

2. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

6-0, bot 3rd. 1 out. runner on 2nd. [​IMG] [​IMG]

it's actually quite comical. i was so close to betting my friend about 20 bucks he'd give up 5 runs in the first 3 innings.

3. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

You'd be a rich man today.

Seriously, Mendoza has been a POS. Whereas some Ranger starters will alternate good and bad starts, he has at best one good, 5 bad...and when he's bad (most of the time) he's very bad. And he kinda has a ****-eating grin on his face which irritates me when the world is crumbling all around you.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

4. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Maybe they could make a pitching "Mendoza line" where ERAs over 10 are referred to as being over the Mendoza line.

5. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG] me likey. just don't tell Chris Berman.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

6. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

i can't believe he was 15-4 last year at AA. i think they should send him down when b-mac gets called up and tell him that he had his time in the show and while he sucked it's not over for him. he needs to go to AAA and get some confidence, come back next year to spring ball and compete for a position.

7. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

8. RunRickyRun34

RunRickyRun34 250+ Posts

The boys on the ESPN broadcast were all over him/Rangers pitching. Sutcliffe called it "pathetic", and called out Mendoza, saying "how is a guy with a 7.50 ERA still getting a shot at this level". I had to LOL, because it is 100% accurate. That said, here is something to be excited about. Somewhere a pitcher in the Rangers organization is not throwing BP:

our next call up?

9. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

i heart derek holland. is it worth a sept call up? maybe, maybe not. let him pitch at AA and AAA for a while.

10. spystud13

spystud13 250+ Posts

I have a buddy who talks to Millwood regularly, & Millwood swears that Mendoza has the best stuff on the starting staff. Granted, Millwood royally ******* sucks too so take it for what it's worth...

11. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

12. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

Y'all need to cut a Mendoza a little slack. The only reason that the kid is getting shelled in the bigs this year is because the organization had holes in the starting rotation and couldn't afford him the time he needed in AAA.

I saw Mendoza pitch last summer in Frisco, and the kid can pitch. He's got a tremendous sinker and a good-enough fastball (i.e., low-90s). He mauled the Texas League in '07.

In a perfect world--you know, the same perfect world in which we'd have been able to redshirt Simms and Chiles [​IMG]--Mendoza would have pitched at Oklahoma for most of this season, except for an occasional spot start for a minor injury. As it turned out, however, he was forced into the big league rotation from Opening Day and has struggled, accordingly.

At the end of the day, remember this: we got Mendoza from the Red Sox for RP Bryan Corey. Bryan. Corey.

13. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

PFD,

if you check my post i generally agree with you. they need to just tell him not to worry about getting shelled. he got some big league experience and he needs to spend some time in AAA getting some experience and more confidence. what he did this year won't matter when evaluating him next year.

14. BurntOrange03

BurntOrange03 100+ Posts

you guys are being too harsh...hes shown that he can be a very good pitcher...he just isnt consistent...

hell hes a better option than Tommy Hunter whos been shelled in every start...

15. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

16. RunRickyRun34

RunRickyRun34 250+ Posts

17. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts