Luxury Watches

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by CutTheCrackJack, Sep 14, 2006.

1. I bought an omega speedmaster limited editions omething or other for like $3500 a few months ago, i love it.

One thing to consider - if you don't have to wind it (and it doesn't have a self winding mechanism like an omega or a rolex) it is ****.

If it needs a bettery it has a 20 dollar swiss movement and is ****.

Your watch should tick and have a spring to be a nice one.

Well maybe not who knows.

2. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

if you can convince whoever is buying your present to get you this, do it. iwc watches are classics and not super trendy.

but if you have to stick to your budget I'd look into an gray market omega seamaster aqua terra.

[​IMG]

3. 319waggle

319waggle < 25 Posts

I love my Rolex Submariner. My grandfather was a pilot and willed to me his Breitling Navitimer. AMazing watch and it has a great deal of history. I wear it sparingly and hope to pass it to my son one day. I am pushing for my father's Daytona. He laughs about my pestering. I think he, too, wants to deed that watch to my son.

4. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

You could pick up the University of Texas Longhorn Watch from Tag Heuer. Looks pretty good and is understated and classy.

[​IMG]

5. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

I really good watch is going to run you well over 3k. You may want to consider a used watch. A good watch will run for ever so there is nothing wrong with buying a used watch. Tourneau even has a certifid used program.

6. CutTheCrackJack

CutTheCrackJack 25+ Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of just sending this thread to my dad as a link.

7. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

I've got a $75 ironman AND a $1200 tag sport. i usually sport the ironman if not at work or going out

8. Pepper Brooks

Pepper Brooks 250+ Posts

For your price range about the best quality watch out there is the Omega Seamaster. You won't be able to afford the automatic, or co-axial version, but you can get a nice Seamaster for 1200. I have one of those that I have had 10 years or so. I still wear it often, but I have a few others that I wear more now mainly the new Omega Seamaster Professional with the orange band.

This place has some good deals on Omega. Alan Furman - Omega Seamaster

9. CutTheCrackJack

CutTheCrackJack 25+ Posts

what is the automatic? is that mean it has the cheap swiss winding system the gentleman above was talking about?

nevermind, just read it and figured it out.

10. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Bite the bullet, increase your budget and get a Rolex Submariner. Works with a tux as well as shorts and flip flops. You'll have it forever.

I've bought watches from this guy and he is completely legit.The Link

11. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

What is the going rate for a Rolex Submariner w/ the date

12. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

13. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

Buying a Rolex is like buying a Lexus, great car but everyone has one.

14. huge

huge 250+ Posts

I agree mid, i have a datejust and i love it, but its pretty common compared to a breitling or something.

i recently bought a used seiko diver watch (the one with black rubber straps) for like $60 to wear when I am worried about surroundings or going to see bands or whatnot.

15. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

If Rolex is too common, I've also bought from this guy.The Link

16. BoogityBoy

BoogityBoy 250+ Posts

Spring for a PAM 220 like mine, or a PAM 88 like that dork in the orange next to me is wearing....

[​IMG]

17. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

18. Orange Infused

Orange Infused 25+ Posts

19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I think you guys are nuts! Take the money from the watch and buy a good used Chevy Tahoe and the Lexus money and use it to buy two rental properties.

As far as timekeeping, there's not enough difference between any watch and what you are talking about. I guess if you are into jewelry.... I guess that's why my two best watches were both gifts from people who thought I deserved to look a little better!

20. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

interesting thread. i got a rolex as a graduation gift from UT in 1991, still have it and like it. prolly will keep it for another 40 years, might pass it down one day. i really like the patek phillipe, very classy look, but much more expensive (i think the basic men's watch starts around 7 or 8 grand).

21. si se puede

si se puede 100+ Posts

22. HenryGandorf

HenryGandorf 250+ Posts

i haven't worn a watch since 10th grade, so i don't have much to add. you should just get like 4-6 pairs of jeans instead.

23. AugieBall

AugieBall 100+ Posts

24. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

I have a tag and i love it. not flashy, but reliable times 1000000. looks good with everything from tux, to t shirt.

sport elegance or something.

25. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

my watch. simple.

26. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

You'd die of blockage if you tried to hide a 46mm Breitling in the only place he knew, his ***. [​IMG]

27. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

I'm selling one of my watches on Ebay if you're interested:
    The Link

28. dogeaterhorn

dogeaterhorn 25+ Posts

For $800-$1200, look at a nice vintage watch. If you go here, you can find a vintage Rolex in that range, and you won't look like everyone else.

29. ldogg53

ldogg53 500+ Posts

Here is the problem with your question.. there is very little in your price range that is actually a quality watch...
    the Tag Heuer 2000/6000 or Aquaracer lines are good.... also look for Longines, Concord, Hampton and if you can stretch for an Omega definitely try that route or a nice Baume et Mercier...

stay away from most everything else... there are a lot of "starter" watches in that price range that have some fancy sounding names... they all are pieces of ****.. you'll drop that $800-1000 and in 2-5 years the thing won't work anymore... also stay away from clothing designers selling watches.. Fendi, Gucci etc...

the Asford website posted by Huge is a good one... they are based here in Houston also if you need to beat down their door for some reason... The Link has some used watches on occasion... I'd also suggest tracking several of the vendors on eBay... there are a lot of legit guys there where you can get a decent deal... otherwise, hit up all the jewlers in town that sell fine watches and find out what is in your range or close to it... ask them which ones they are dealing on... I wear a Breitling Chronomat GT and a Rolex Tudor Tiger Woods model... I got the Breitling at Major's jewlers in Austin for a deal... total cost including sales tax was $3000 for a watch with a retail price of $5400.... all jewelers will have items that sit on inventory for too long... they'll move these at 40-50% off.... I bought another Breitling from Major's at 50% that had been in inventory for over a year... I then put it up on ebay and sold it in a week for a $500 profit...

also, if you can get a decent watch brand with automatic movement I'd go for it... quartz movement is a joke in the world of fine watches... think of it as driving a Mercedes that has a Kia motor in it... and yes.. I know that some Breitlings have quartz movement, but those tend to the the Emergency and B-1 lines that have digital readouts and GPS functions etc... that is a whole different beast than what is mentioned..

30. RiceHorn04

RiceHorn04 100+ Posts

For the budget minded, I'd encourage you to check out Tissot. Sapphire crystal face, so it won't scratch, and the components are of the highest quality.

Can be purchased from $150-$400.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a simple Tag.