MacDuff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hot_c_win_horns, Jan 16, 2008.

1. hot_c_win_horns

hot_c_win_horns 100+ Posts

Is it safe to say MacDuff was one of the worst hires Mack Brown has made in his time at Texas? I think MacDuff set us back a year or two. Hopefully, our new coaches will get the ball rolling in the right direction again!! Welcome home Major...you have been missed!!! [​IMG]

2. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I don't know if that's fair to say. We don't really know what went on behind closed doors. For whatever reason, the defense just wasn't good last year, and changes were made.

I had the opportunity to visit with Coach MacDuff on more than one occasion in the context of recruiting. He was a nice enough guy, and I'm sure he is a good coach. I hope he finds a job that suits him well soon. We don't need to bad mouth the guy. Good luck to him. [​IMG]

3. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

I agree with TP. We don't know (and frankly, at this point, don't care) what went on - wish him well and wave goodbye.

4. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

We have had more DC's than any team I know of.

It's like a carousel, and yet every year, year after year we see the same base 4-3 in every situation.

Think about for a second hot_c.

5. jasmine

jasmine 25+ Posts

Not a successful hire but Tim Nunez was much worse & here much longer than McDuff. Our OL was a joke until McWhorter came aboard.

6. hot_c_win_horns

hot_c_win_horns 100+ Posts

The last thing I want to do is bad mouth coach MacDuff. I am sure he is a great guy and a great coach. It just seems that the direction Mack is going, hiring younger hi energy guys, is a completely different direction, than we were taking this time last year. I just wish we would have made this move last year instead of wasting a year with someone who did not work out. I would like to know how everyone else feels on the subject. Let me state also, I wish Coach MacDuff the best and I hope he finds a coaching position that he is happy with.

7. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

Dude what do you want? Do you think that Mack hired MacDuff knowing in advance that the hire wasn't going to work out??? Yeah I realize that one could say that the year was a waste or whatever but damn....Mack hired MacDuff hoping it would produce results, it didn't, so let that be the end of it.

8. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

The Mac Duff hire was all about giving Akina his long awaited chance at being the DC. They couldn't bring in a guy like Muschamp if Akina was gonna be the main man.

It turns out that Akina works out much better coaching the DBs, so now we went in a different direction.

9. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

10. UT3X

UT3X 25+ Posts

the year before mcduff wasn't exacltly a bed of roses for the defense as well......

11. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

12. wakko227

wakko227 < 25 Posts

i agree with the "philosophical differences" issue. i mean, i wouldn't be surprised if mac duff had the impression that he would take over as DC at some point but didn't work out that way. i'm not the biggest fan of akina, either...it looks suspect when we produce two thorpe award winners within the past five years while having a bad overall pass defense compared to other top 25 teams each year.