Marquette

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by outlookdude, Mar 15, 2011.

1. L4UT

L4UT 100+ Posts

Quite obvious we have problems and it's more than talent-
    I just can't believe Gail forgot how to coach, but our inability
    to show consistent positive play and improvement after 4 years is troublesome - marquette wasn't that good- the teams we manage to lose to is mind boggling and then watching the tournament and some of the teams winning is even more worrisome because there are teams out there that get more out of less and they don't pay their coach a million bucks

2. BevoMDCXVIII

BevoMDCXVIII 100+ Posts

3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Really wish you haters would start your own thread and talk to each other there.

4. Cuernos_Largos

Cuernos_Largos 250+ Posts

Black ninja......where do you think we are going after this loss???

Our school should not lose to teams like Marquette!!!! Tennessee....that's another story....but come on!!!!!!!

Hopefully with Cokie we can win next year. We shall see...

5. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Yes, sorry we won't get to see Kat, Kristen and Sarah again....so happy the Nash sisters were Longhorns! They played a good game and lost a close one. Let's get everyone healthy and I look forward to next season with Cokie back, and our terrific recruiting class on board. As far as Cokie goes, let's hope she puts in a lot of work during the off-season and comes out in terrific shape and ready to play ball!

6. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

Cuernos, Marquette is a pretty good team, give 'em credit. Personally, I cannot wait to see Cokie back out there...should be alot more space for 3's and mid-range jumpshots when a team has a post that the opponent has to pay attention to defensively. Also, I think we could stand for better PG play but I would defer to somebody who had a chance to see the team play over the season, I've only seen a few games.

7. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Aside from a return of a healthy Cokie, one of the biggest challenges the squad faces for next year is how to replace the tenacity displayed by Kristen and the headiness of Kat. There have been very few signs of others that were on this season's bench of a player ready to step up and fill the shoes left by Kristen (and that were vacated last year by Earnie's departure).

And above all else, the squad has to figure out how to embrace a TEAM concept. The talent has been there during the entirety of Gail's tenure but she has been unable to get it to play consistently as a team for all forty minutes of a game.

8. outlookdude

outlookdude 250+ Posts

I don’t even know what to say about that game. Mostly I am probably better off to just keep my mouth shut. But pissed hardly begins to describe my reaction.

Texas made more FGs, had more assists, and made more 3-PT shots. They had fewer TOs and out rebounded Marquette by 12.

You would think the game wouldn’t be close.

Unless, of course, you can’t get a call from the refs.

I don’t know what would have happened if the game had been called in some reasonable fashion. It would have been a completely different game. But, the other numbers sure seem to indicate a favorable outcome.

I have seen bad calls that impacted the end of a game. But, I have never seen anything like that at any level of basketball. I usually don’t buy into the idea that a game was decided by the refs. You just don’t let it be close, and don’t give them the opportunity to take it away from you. This game may be an exception to that rule.

I really hate to see anyone’s season end that way.

9. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

It is disingenous to place this loss at the feet of the officials...were there bad calls? Sure. But they were not limited to one side of the ball. Hell, look at the call towards the end of the game where Marquette got called for a charge and where the officials said it COULD have been a travel beforehand...but it was also NOT something that should have been a charge- Texas defender WAS NOT set and therefore the Block could EASILY have been called. So instead of a call that could have gone against Texas, Texas got the favorable call.

Might also be worth looking at some of the play selection especially since even the announcers saw some of what has been witnessed all season...certain players CANNOT catch the ball on the move and hit the continuation shot. Yet Texas continued to force that throughout the season and into this game...which makes those plays a liability.

10. outlookdude

outlookdude 250+ Posts

We may have to agree to disagree.

I am with you about the charge at the end of the game when Chassidy finally got a call. Ironic that call was also a bad one, or just more of the same bad officiating? There was one that was worse that went against Texas, and Chelsea, in the first half.

I am not saying Texas would have won otherwise. I’m saying it was so bad that I don’t know. I don’t even have to look back at individual calls. Only six called in the entire game and Texas with zero FTs should be an embarrassment to that crew. Basketball is just not played in a way that those numbers could be correct.

And, I’m not saying they intentionally gave the game to Marquette. I just think they called a terrible game, and that it was the worst officiating performance I have ever seen at that level. They looked like the game was too fast for them.

If our own basketball team is subject to criticism here the refs should certainly also be fair game.

11. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

The most interesting thing about this game is that I got to see myself in a burnt orange blazer as a member of the Longhorn women's basketball band pumping my fist in the Capital One flashback commercial of the 1986 national championship game. If anyone recorded today's game, let me know.

12. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

So disappointing...just heartbreaking...I feel badly for Kat, who played lights OUT, got every hustle play she was ANYWHERE close to and must be very upset to lose that way her last game as a Longhorn...

13. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

A tough loss and the Horns played well but it still adds up to one and done in the tournament. Not acceptable.

14. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

15. txex86

txex86 100+ Posts

16. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Not a hater but women's basketball is not what it use to be for Texas. Texas was at least competitive and played hard.

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

18. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

AARRGGHHH!!!

Horns you were supposed to win this game. I hate I missed the 2nd half. [​IMG]

19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

from the KSU board after a 53-45 loss to Purdue:

20. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

What the hell?

21. CamrnCrz1974

CamrnCrz1974 100+ Posts

Conradt's last three seasons:
    2004-2005: 22-9, NCAA second round
    2005-2006: 13-15, no postseason play
    2005-2007: 18-14, no postseason play

Goestenkors' four seasons
    2007-2008: 22-13, NCAA second round
    2008-2009: 21-12, NCAA first round
    2009-2010: 22-11, NCAA first round
    2010-2011: 19-14, NCAA first round

Imagine how this year's team would look with Cokie Reed. She was expected to be the starting post, the anchor of the paint.
    The rebuilding process is taking longer than many of you expected.

22. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

23. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I seen a lot of positive things and I seen a lot of negative things in the game against Marq. Positive thing K.Nash was hot! Negative thing not enough offense and a Point Guard.But that will be taken care of next year.Good Season Ladies!
    Good Job Freshmans!
    Hookem'

24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

No FTs was the biggest thing I saw. We were better in every other stat. One of our players lost her assignment for a second to allow Marquette basically an uncontested 3 at the end. We fumbled getting the ball to Kat, allowing Marquette to heavily contest that last shot.

Lots of good things to built on, though. Our four frosh that played had some good minutes. Our upper classmen will have a fight next season for those starting jobs. And that's not even counting the newcomers.

It was a very disappointing loss but one that should make those returnees much more determined to improve. They played hard and tough but not always smart against marquette.

While I still wonder why Texas didn't get to the FT line, I don't think it was because of the style of play of the Big 12. They got to the line against Stanford, Michigan State, etc. They didn't foul that much, with Marquette only getting 14 FT attempts. That's not the result of overly physical play. I wonder if Texas is the first team to not get a FT attempt in an NCAA post season game?

25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

26. outlookdude

outlookdude 250+ Posts

I agree that it is harder to get to the line when you shoot jumpers. Texas had a tendency to fall back on that this past season. But, they still averaged 23 FT attempts per game. In the Marquette game I was screaming from the first few minutes as there were two or three drives to the basket, any one of which could have been called a foul.

I understand that not many fouls were called either way in the grand scheme of things. And I also prefer games in which they “let them play”. I know that if I think I see 40 fouls I can normally expect about 20 to be called, plus maybe 5 more that I didn’t think were fouls. I’m not naive in that I know I am never going to be satisfied. I also know that officiating in WCBB is not very good overall and everyone has to play with that. You hope that the calls even out by the end. It is usually close.

I just thought the Marquette game stretched those limited expectations beyond any reasonable boundary. They didn’t just fail to make a FT. They failed to have a single attempt. College basketball just isn’t played in a manner in which that can be a reasonable outcome. You don’t even have to see the game to know that just can’t be right. Two fouls in the second half of a close NCAA tournament game? No one was fouled even one time while shooting during an entire game?

I’m not screaming conspiracy. I saw a lot of games this season, and seasons past, which were very poorly called. Texas won a lot of those games, and sometimes maybe had an edge with the bad calls. I think it is a shame, and that it should be an embarrassment to the NCAA, that the quality of officiating is not near the same level at which the game is played. I think it is a shame that anyone’s season should end with that type game.

I think the Texas men got jobbed against Arizona. But, I don’t feel so bad for them. They had chances throughout the game to make sure that it didn’t come down to one bad call. I generally never blame the refs, or one play, or one player for the outcome of a game. I’ve just never seen anything like what happened against Marquette. With all of the things that went wrong this season I hated to see Texas win pretty much every statistical category in an important game and not see any reward.

Most of the team has another season to work toward and avoid the dreaded 8-9 seeding. The seniors will go on to do more important things than play basketball. I’ll get over it. Congratulations to Marquette. They played hard, never quit, and took advantage of the opportunity……..I just think it is a shame that it ended that way.

27. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Marq is giving Tenn hell right now.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, Marquette is. I don't know whether to root for them or not.

At any rate, I am rooting for Stanford to win it all.

As for a men's team not making a FT, I was talking about the women's teams. And about not getting a single FT attempt, not so much not making a FT.

29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

30. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Nice stats mb227. So, in your opinion, do refs just swallow their whistles during the tournament? No offense, just asking...I'm not really sure what to think of all the low foul calls during this year's tournament.