Maxine 2020

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Cortez won't be 35 in 2020.

2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

And the party isn't utterly stupid. They know she's basically a walking joke at this point. Have you noticed she's no longer front and center on every talk show in the country? I would suggest it's not because she stopped liking the attention.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

I am terrified that one of the Castro twins will be on the ticket.
    One of them has been hinting openly about throwing his hat in the ring.
    He doesn't have the Beto charisma, but his Mexican is real, and both twins have been lurking around in DC working for Obama, so they have the right corrections.
    I'm calling at least a VP nom for one of them. I think it is Julio who is hinting, but I could be wrong.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I know everybody says LOL on the internet now anytime they read something mildly amusing, but I literally laughed out loud at that. Nothng is worse than having a fake Mexican.

Nevertheless, I don't fear the Castros that much because Hispanics have shown repeatedly that they aren't the hardcore ethnic nationalists that the Democratic Party has always wanted them to be and that black voters actually are. They just aren't as racist as the Party wants them to be.

5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Both need to be remanded to the department of corrections.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Would be funny if the twins started going by "Jake" and "Conner"

7. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Beto is still may main concern not all these also-rans. Democrats won with Obama because he was unknown, spoke in aspirational language (though contentless), and had a metrosexual look and affectation. Beto has the same aesthetic. If he loses that whole thing goes away. If he wins, it is going to be wild ride.

8. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I guess I’m way out of touch because I’m assuming Cruz beats Beto by 8-10 points on a bad day. What’s the closest a Democrat has ever come to a Republican in a statewide race in this era?

9. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

VY, if that happens all my speculations go away. But I see so many yard signs!

10. Hollandtx

Hollandtx 250+ Posts

Beto is worrisome. He has that "it" factor that draws in young voters, much like JFK or Obama.
    Just as one example, he spoke at UTSA today to a standing room only crowd. According to the paper, hundreds of students were turned away due to lack of space, but stuck around to receive 20-50 voter registration cards. That is his sales "close", "get your friends to register and vote for me".
    Beto has been doing this for months now, I saw his schedule for the week and he is hitting every major and even the smaller colleges in south Texas to speak. It seems he draws huge crowds wherever he goes. There are yard signs in about 1/4 of the yards in my neighborhood, which is usually a conservative area, with very few signs.

One thing that seems very disingenuous to me is his shirts. I know this may sound stupid, but he keeps wearing light blue button downs without an undershirt. He always sweats through the shirts, bigly, and I think he wears these on purpose to show he is a man of the people and a hard worker. You can't pick a color of button down that shows sweat any worse. This really bothers me. It seems very purposeful and a subtle (and gross) optic.

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz has seemed almost invisible, at least here in San Antonio. I have seen very few commercials or yard signs for him. Many of my smart, middle of the road Dems love him, people that I actually respect, and have been canvassing for him all over Texas, registering people to vote. Old people and young, just lots of people. Whether they actually show up is a different story, but there is a massive effort going on .
    He is also getting enormous amounts of money from all over the country to add to his campaign funds.

I actually went to his official website to see what it says about him, and honestly, if I hadn't been keeping up with his views via Hornfans, and small news articles. he sounds pretty good. Very kum by ya. No specifics of course. Just, things like, "we need to work together, put aside partisanship" and his sections about guns, immigrants, health and on and on sound great, unless you stop and think, how will we pay for all of this?
    He is scaring me. I hope that Cruz pulls it out, but, I think it will be a close race.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Holland
    Here are some of my problems with Beta's policies
    " that beyond stopping walls and raids, we take the lead in writing immigration policy that matches our values and interests."

I do NOT want to stop walls and raids and I think an immigration policy that allows us to know who comes in , people that do not need welfare does match our values and interests.

"Ensure farmers don’t have to face unnecessary labor shortfalls that undermine productivity. Immigration reform can help address these issues by more effectively linking migrant laborers with farmers and by protecting undocumented workers."

Uh Beta we already have a visa that allows unlimited DOCUMENTED" workers

"Avoid unnecessary trade wars and ensure foreign markets are open to U.S. agriculture exports. Current proposals for tariffs create tremendous uncertainty for Texas farmers."

Beta stop and think. Are you ok with the unfair trade deals we have had for too many years? How do you get better trade deals for AMERICANS?

"Fight attempts to weaken the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), including efforts to limit equal access to public places and businesses, and defend Social Security, Medicaid, and long-term supports and services from cuts and caps"

Beta pure Fluff. This isn''t a thing.

"Rejoining the Paris Climate Accords."
    Uh NO

There is so much more and Holland you are right it is feel good nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Well, Reagan got elected in California, so I guess the cult of personality can overcome local tendencies. I do think that Ted Cruz is a terrible candidate in that he adds no votes whatsoever to the votes his views would naturally attract. Also, he is even halfway or more afraid of his own base after the failed gambits against Trump. So, he’s probably playing it right to focus only on Beto’s negatives and stay invisible. I think Cornyn or Abbott would not have any trouble with Beto.

I guess we’ll see!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Cruz actually is pretty engaging at events and rallies. He has a wicked sense of humor.
    It is interesting to see the demographic at in person events, For an Ivy League dude he seems to have plenty of blue collar redneck even biker types support him.The difference is all those types are workers, too busy to protest.
    I will also say that this week 10 Cruz signs have appeared in my neighborhood.
    I guess the question is will there be enough snowflakes who will vote to outnumber the real people?

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Of course, California was a radically different place when Reagan was getting elected Governor.

Very true. If you're a staunch ideological conservative, he's a hero. If you're anything else, he seems like an aloof, sanctimonious douche. That's why he's vulnerable.