McCoy is only completing 36% of his passes?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by nra1775, Oct 29, 2009.

1. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

Ok this can be ignored. Tim Griffin of ESPN misquoted Todd McShay of Scouts Inc.

Todd said McCoy was only throwing 36% of his passes passed the 5 yard mark.

Tim Griffin of ESPN wrote Colt was only COMPLETING 36% of his passes passed the 5 yard mark per McShay.

I read Griffin's article first and when I checked McShay's I misread it.

Sorry for the confusion.

2. sinless1

sinless1 500+ Posts

Change your subject.

3. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

4. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

7. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

8. homerX

homerX 100+ Posts

I'd like to know where McShay is getting his stat for 'distance thrown' by all DivI QB's. Granted, I don't mind McShay at all and I don't doubt that we do throw a **** load of dinks but I greatly question the assertion that No Other QB in all of college football has made fewer attempts past a certain distance than him.

9. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

10. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

11. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

12. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

I think he's completing 51% of his passes that are more than 5 yards, but I could be wrong.

He's 182 out of 254 and 36.6% of 254 is 93. And 93/182 = 51%. Is that right?

13. there was an article after the OU game that said he was only 66% healthy for the RRS and that fans should reasonably expect him to be 90%+ healthy the rest of the season.

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The quote is 72% correct on 49% of the issues raised. This level of accuracy leads all sports columnists in the country.

15. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

16. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

17. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

18. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

DOOMED! [​IMG] I'm terribly concerned now. Oh wait, actually, I'm not. This has been our offense for quite a while now, and I suspect it will remain that way. I really don't care, it wins us games.

On a side note, you see these short passes more when there is a lack of running game. It's a substitute of sorts to the running game. If we can continue to establish the run like we have recently I think we'll see more deep passes off of play action.

19. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

20. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

The article has NOTHING to do with completion percentage. It's about percentage of attempts more than 5 yards

21. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

22. 210-816-Horn

210-816-Horn 250+ Posts

So did McShay have blueprints on how to beat Florida, Alabama, USC, Iowa or anyone else in the top 10?

23. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Would LOVE to see how that compares with Techs offense last year. You know, the one that threw for a billion yards.

24. nra1775

nra1775 250+ Posts

In reply to:

25. ShinerChE

ShinerChE 250+ Posts

First of all, we don't really throw a lot of 5-10 yd routes so the comparison is between <5 yds and >10 yds. The passes >10 yds that we do throw are either go routes, seam routes and deep crosses all of which are low percentage passes. I would bet most QBs don't complete these at a greater than 50% clip since they are typically lower percentage passes. If you read Griffin's quote, he does say that its completion of passes >5 yds.

This is the blue print OU tried. It lead to a couple of dropped interceptions. Problem is most defenses don't have the line OU has and we have adjusted by moving Shipley to the slot to give him room to work.

26. sinless1

sinless1 500+ Posts

27. longtex

longtex Guest

61.803398875% of all sports "journalists" are completely full of ****, and grasping frantically for something to write or talk about, particularly for something that will make both believers and deniers quote them by name. The rest are only partially full of **** and/or too drunk to type or talk.

28. gkp

gkp 500+ Posts

McShay must have one hellava database if he tracks every pass thrown in every game by down, distance, comp/incomp and can sort each QB's stats by various parameters.

I would be exhausted just trying to input the Houston/UTEP game!

29. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

30. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts