Meighan Simmons News

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by hoopsalot, Sep 5, 2009.

1. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Meighan Simmons is now, apparently, being recruited by Tennessee. The news article linked says she is setting up a visit to Tennessee, possibly the weekend of Oct 3.

Other schools listed as recruiting Simmons are LSU, Maryland, Baylor, Texas and Rutgers.

News Article

2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Always some twists and turnis in recruiting.

A year or so ago, Simmons list (according to newspapers) consisted of Tennessee, Texas, North Carolina, Texas A&M, LSU, and others.

Recently, I believe Hoopgurlz listed her schools as LSU, Rutgers, Maryland, North Carolina, and Cal.

Now, this article has her coach listing a few different schools. By most accounts, Baylor is out of scholarships, but hey, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't recruiting her as rosters change over the course of a season.

Tennessee was supposed to be out of scholarships, too, but things changed to create an opening.

3. L4UT

L4UT 100+ Posts

any chance we had with meighan was cut short by her aau coach who is none other than clarrisa davis - it is a real shame how she has acted since she has left UT - one of the all time favorite athletes of any sport at Texas and then she goes around saying not too nice things about her alma mater

4. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Interesting L4UT. And the signs don't point to our signing Tiffany Moore either although we can still hope.

I hope the Texas staff is buiilding some good relationships around the state? So far 2009 and 2010 have been a little disappointing as far as getting the best Texas recruits. I'm not disappointed in the Texas players committed, just in the number.

For 2010, what I really hope is that by signing day we'll have a commitment from a quality power forward. Again, Hartung looks like a good player. It is just that the roster still looks a little thin at the position with Earnie finishing her eligibility this year and Kristen possibly graduating and leaving the team after this season.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, interesting about Clarissa Davis. At any rate, with the PGs in camp and Peoples in 2011, it lessens the need to sign Simmons, imo. Moore, on the other hand, along with a post player, is still a big hoped for commit by me. Ideally, it would be Moore and Chiney.

Right now, we got four post players with Kat also able to play there. In 2010, there will be three post players if no others sign in Nov. or in the spring. Kat will still be around to play inside. Kristen COULD come back if she and the coaching staff decide that would work in the best interests of each. Certainly, there should be enough 'ships available if she does come back. Until, I hear different, I don't expect her to come back, though. It would be neat for the sisters Nash to play four years. And Kristen has gotten better every year. No reason to expect that she won't continue to improve and to provide important inside help.

Right now, except for Chiney, the top posts have committed. Still, there a number of tall (6-3 or taller) posts in Hoopgurlz top 100 that still haven't committed. And the staff has shown a tendency to sign players that most of us fans have no inkling were being recruited.

6. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

7. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Nothing concrete. Moore could be calling Gail as I type for alll I know!

8. Press

Press < 25 Posts

This is from today's blog:
    The Link

9. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Thanks, Press.

The evidence is in. We don't need to wonder about the influence or lack thereof of a particular highschool or club coach, Texas is not doing as well with the highly sought after recruits as some of us might have hoped or liked. All the schools on Simmons list have had more recent success than Texas. It is interesting that the new Duke coach is having more success recruiting the highly sought players to Duke than the coach who put Duke on the map is having recruiting players to Texas. This can all change and change quickly. Jody Conradt once said something about teenage girls that I don't remember exactly. It was something to the effect that if something didn't happen in the last 10 minutes, young people don't know about it. Five years ago, Texas had the recruiting edge over Baylor and Texas A&M. That has changed. Those teams can now recruit the elite in Texas and to some degree in the nation as well. The good news is that both Baylor and A&M were able to improve their programs with players that didn't have offers from Conn, Tenn, or even Texas or Texas Tech.

A little more success on the court, perhaps the signing of an influential player, and Texas could be showing up on all the "lists" of the best in Texas and some outside Texas.

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Simmons lists her final five. Not surprisingly, Texas is NOT among them.

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Totally my opinion, but based on the finalists, it seems as if Meighan wants to head out of state, and doesn't want to play in the Big 12 conference. Good luck to her wherever she ends up.

12. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not a surprise at all. We will get to see her at least twice in the FEC during her career, though.

Good luck to her.