Migas recipe

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by cbs, Apr 15, 2008.

1. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

I need to make migas for 50 at a camping trip. Does anyone have any good recipes? And is it okay to use tortilla chips instead of me frying up a bunch of strips of corn tortillas? Thanks.

2. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

corn tortilla strips are fine. onions, tomatoes, japs, cheese. that is migas. add chorizo if you want.

3. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Add the cheese at the end -- maybe on the individual plated servings -- or your migas can get very soupy.

4. CHETOLONGHORN

CHETOLONGHORN 250+ Posts

Cut a bunch of corn tortillas like chips and fry then in oil for a bit. After that add the eggs and there you go. Simple and plain since your on a camping trip.

5. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Take everything you've got and chop it up. Throw it into a pan with oil or butter. After a while, break a bunch of eggs into it and start stirring.

6. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

The Link

This recipe, for migas, is via Texas Monthly magazine, for the version served at an Austin restaurant called Manuel’s. Migas are common in Tex-Mex spots, but this is an excellent version. Joe and I differ only on how cooked we want the vegetables. He prefers them cooked to softness a little beforehand; I like them added late in the process so they barely get warm and retain all their crunchiness. You can substitute other kinds of peppers, depending on what you have on hand and how spicy you like the dish. I’ve added a pinch of dried chile powder – real chiles, not the "chili powder" that one uses for making chili, which also contains cumin and oregano, although that wouldn’t be the end of the world. A white onion is more authentic, I am told.

Something magical happens when the eggs and tomatoes meet the corn tortillas, providing a flavor and texture that is missing with those made from wheat. Migas could probably be made with hothouse tomatoes, but the good ones emphasize that the magic, carrying the dish close to perfection. This is certainly vegetarian-friendly, and I understand that at Manuel’s it’s served with black beans and sliced fruit. I think chorizo would be the ideal match, but crisp bacon is pretty darn fine.

2 tbsp oil or butter

3 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch squares

5 eggs, beaten

dash of salt and pepper

1 medium ripe tomato, seeded and diced

1/2 medium white onion, chopped1 serrano pepper (or whatever pepper you have on hand; adjust quantity to taste), seeded and diced

1 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro

1 c. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Heat a medium skillet or saute pan over medium to high heat. When hot, add oil or butter. When it’s hot, add the tortillas. Stir occasionally until they begin to brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. If you are adding the vegetables to be cooked, put them in now, and cook until the onions start to soften. Drop the heat to low. Add the eggs, and stir, letting them scramble. When they start to firm up, which will be very quickly, add the cilantro and the chopped vegetables if you didn’t do it earlier. Continue to stir gently until the eggs are as cooked as you’d like, add most of the cheese and give it one last stir. Top each serving with the last of the cheese.

[​IMG]

7. dfw75201

dfw75201 250+ Posts

I recently discovered the red tortillas for enchiladas that you can find in hispanic grocery stores. The tortillas are made with chili powder and they have a good taste. I fry those up and add eggs and the dish barely needs anything else, except for some onions.

8. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

I am known among my friends for my black bean migas.

Here is my recipe:

* 4 eggs
    * 1 tablespoon water
    * 1 tablespoon salsa (your favorite, but it should be chunky)
    * 1 tablespoon bacon drippings or vegetable oil
    * 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    * 1/2 cup chopped onion
    * 2 fresh jalapeños (stems and seeds removed), finely chopped
    * 3/4 cup cooked black beans, drained
    * 16 tortilla chips (tostadas), in bite-size pieces
    * 2/3 cup grated mild cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese, or combination of both
    *one package of soyrizo (soy chorizo ... works great)

Crumble and brown the soyrizo and set aside.

In a small bowl, lightly beat together the eggs, water and salsa, and set aside.

In a skillet, over medium-low heat, sauté the bell pepper, onion and jalapeño in the bacon drippings or oil for 2 minutes or until onion is transparent, but not brown. Stir in the black beans.

Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, and "scramble" until eggs are almost done. Sprinkle in the broken tortilla chips and the browned Soyrizo, and stir well. Remove the skillet from heat, and sprinkle cheese into the eggs, again stirring well.

9. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Cilantro in migas? I've never tried that. I've never even heard of that. Hmmm.

10. TornACL

TornACL 250+ Posts

Esperanza's in Fort Worth scrambles in shredded chicken into their migas. The first time I ordered it, I was appalled. And then I tasted it. Awesome. Plus, there just seems to be something really dirty about eating both chicken, and eggs, in the same meal.

11. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

I'm hungry again.

12. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

just a sec. Soy Chorizo? Seriously? What is this world coming to?

13. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

14. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

15. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

1. Cilantro is good in migas.
    2. Soyrizo is good in migas.
    3. Migas taste much better if you fry up your own tortilla chips.

16. natethehorn

natethehorn 100+ Posts

I love Migas. Anyone tried the migas at Tamale House on airport? Freaking delicious. I still think one of the best places in town for Migas though is....can you believe it???...Trudys. Honestly, I love their Migas. The Mexican Eggs Benedict are also delicious.

17. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

Starseeds has chicken migas that are awesome. I also love the chorizo migas at Enchiladas Y Mas.

18. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

19. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, Trudy's has good migas, but they can't touch Nueva Onda's. Elsi's has good migas, too. Different, though. More like huevos rancheros. Come to think of it, that's the way Nueva Onda makes them as well.

20. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I use salsa instead of Jalapenos. I stir fry chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, and corn tortilla chips (cut into squares). Then I add the salsa....my favorite is the Austin Spice Company mesquite salsa. Then I add the eggs, fresh chopped roma tomato, and cheese. Stir fry it until the eggs cook while adding more salsa as I get close to the end. Eat with beans on the side and stuff on more corn tortillas as desired....dip in more salsa.

21. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

Thanks for the post Uninformed. I followed the recipe and it was delicious. Oh, and frying your own corn tortillas is highly recommended.

22. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

You are welcome. I am glad you liked it.

23. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Made for a good breakfast today

24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Mmmmigas!