Minnesota Senate race

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BA93, Jan 3, 2009.

1. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

The Link

What a mess. Franken is now up 225 votes from over Coleman with over 2.8 million votes counted. A one vote lead is a one vote lead but its embarrassing that the US can't determine which votes to count.

2. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

this is democracy at its finest

too bad Florida couldn't have done this in 2000, might have saved us some misery

3. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

what is more shocking is that minnesota has elected a former pro wrestler as governor and perhaps a psychotic, bitter comedian as a senator.

4. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

5. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

6. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

7. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

8. dognduckhorn

dognduckhorn 500+ Posts

9. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

10. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

The party which controls the election machinery seems to always win the recounts.

11. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

how was the Minnesota recount conducted?

12. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

13. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

Dems are showing again that the are very adept at stealing elections

14. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

If Rush limbaugh had been elected senator it woud have been non stop hysteria from the left and their lapdog media...............especially if he needed a recount from a highly partisan repub. election board to seal the deal. Actually the media probably would not have allowed it to happen with non stop hit pieces and . Press and electronic media would be bristling with: "how could the electorate be so stupid" "democracy is a failure".

Libs, Do you not find it a little odd that in a state where the chosen one carried the vote 2 to 1, franken needed to steal votes to get elected. Obviously, those who bothered to do a little research found out what bitter, hatefilled, ideolouge this little douche was. I listened to this guys
    "radio program" several times and i can sum it up right here........there are two types of people in the world, those that are the personification of total evil and deserved to be locked up, and those that agree with him. He never laughed during the program, unless you count the sarcastic "i cant believe how evil the right is" chuckles. No wondered it failed, I doubt even the most partisan lefties on the planet could put up with that level of negativity.

No, stuart smally wont make a good senator, because he's an angry hypocritical POS. His whole candidacy was personal attacks against coleman and anti-corporate demagoguery. His hypocrisy was well documented on this board a couple of months ago. He bashes corporations non stop for not following the rules and then get popped for notpaying workmans comp and taxes on his corporation. Predictably almost all of the WM lefties made excuses for him.

15. Back to Texas

Back to Texas 250+ Posts

16. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I have met Franken before and he is a very friendly, sincere, and highly intelligent (Harvard grad I think) individual.

Ive met Fidel Castro before. He was very friendly and charming. It doesnt mean I would want him as a leader in this country.

17. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

18. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

19. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

20. daytonhorn

daytonhorn 500+ Posts

This liberal finds Limbaugh bombastic and repetitive = boring. Limbaugh takes what he thinks is a clever point and beats it to death--apparently because he has not much interesting to say, so he has to fill in the air time. If you want "interesting", listen to Left, RIght, and Center and On Point or just about any NPR or Public Radio International talk show. There is often (but not always) a leftward slant, but it is informative and does not speak to a junior high audience as does Linbaugh.

21. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

...but it does require public money to stay on the air.

Rush Limbaugh runs a for-profit organization. There is a difference. He has to be entertaining to gain listeners. This he does better than anyone.

22. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I met Al Franken about 12 years ago, and though I strongly disagree with him on almost everything (fiscal and social issues), he was a very nice guy, very intelligent, and very respectful of my views. If I had lived in Minnesota, I would have voted for Coleman because he's closer to me on issues. However, I don't think Franken is the shrill jackass many Republicans make him out to be.

24. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

It used to take a stroke to unseat a breathing US Senator, now all it takes is an election cycle.

25. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

26. dognduckhorn

dognduckhorn 500+ Posts

27. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Funny how the hidden ballots were all Democratic, yet it is the Democrats trying to steal this election? Doesn't appear so.
    Anyhow, it is over and Franken won by 225 votes. The R's could file a legal appeal after the results are certified, which I think happens today. They have seven days to do so, if they think there are grounds.

28. jameson_bond

jameson_bond 500+ Posts

29. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Yep it is nice to see a state be able to actually count it's own votes.

Comparing this to the shenannigans that went on from the GOP side in Florida is a non-comparison. Bush usurping the State of Florida's right to determine the veracity of the vote via Federal lawsuit was an entirely different matter.

Interesting to see the race being this close.

Funniest is the venom coming from the right wingers towards Franken.

30. J D the Obscure

J D the Obscure 250+ Posts