More conference realignment speculation

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Irish Horn, Dec 8, 2018 at 8:23 AM.

1. Irish Horn

Irish Horn < 25 Posts

The speculation is UT and OU to the B1G with Fox pushing the deal behind the scenes. It makes some sense, but the article doesn't at all address the political obstacles to such a deal.

Link

• Like Like x 1
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 5,000+ Posts

Anything before 2025 is only possible if the Power 5 Conferences agree to realign, and the $EC isn't going to allow that unless they get tired of aggy and Missouri.

3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 1,000+ Posts

I feel like we're stuck. We're obviously a big dog. But when we pushed our weight around too much, it backfired with the at-the-time current B12 teams. Now we're chasing conferences thousands of miles away (or 1400-1800 whatever).

Maybe it behooves us to join up (with OU) with a couple of other big programs. But I hate the idea of being in a conference with teams from the state of Washington or Minnesota. That doesn't make sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I all for Texas to the B1G, especially if we can set it up to where Texas plays one game each year at Rutgers, at Penn State, or at Maryland. :smile1:

5. utempire

utempire 500+ Posts

Would love to pad our record with the whiny cornhuskers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 5,000+ Posts

Understand where you are coming from NJ, but I had rather play in Fayettenam than those 3 places.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

The Kansas game might have had 15K in the seats. We gotta get out of this conference and the Big makes the most sense. CST or EST for all games. All tier 1 schools so grants that get allocated to conferences will be good. Remember conference alignment has more to do than just athletics. Play in front of 100K several times a year. No one cares about football in the PAC. ACC truly is a dumpster fire. In the end I think OU and OSU will go to the SEC, Texas to the Big along with hopefully ND, and TT, Baylor, and TCU scrounge up a new conference with Houston and a few others. Kansas will try and go to the ACC for BBall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LAGA4

LAGA4 250+ Posts

I'm good on the B1G.
    I wanted to go way back when and be done with it.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If Penn State played on the road against a 3-win Northwestern team at balls a.m. on a Friday, there also probably wouldn't be more than 15K in the seats.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 5,000+ Posts

IF the BIG and Big 12 were to merge, with 2 divisions of 8 teams, then perhaps there should be 7 divisional game and 4 games with the other division and 1 OOC game. That game could be with one team from another Power 4 conference or and FBS program. No FCS, Div II or Div III programs. Make it the toughest conference in college football.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 500+ Posts

I personally would like to see Texas and Oklahoma form the foundation of a completely new conference. Steal from the PAC B1G and SEC to create a 12 team conference.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 5,000+ Posts

Good idea Austin, but you are not going to get LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia or Florida from the $EC - the remaining $EC you don't want.

13. Poolflood

Poolflood < 25 Posts

This.
    Start wiith USC and UCLA. Fill in with Arizona schools and maybe Colorado/Utah. The PAC is getting hammered in their payouts. They should be willing. Just having those states in the deal along with Texas and blowU should ratchet up the TV contract. Now go pick quality schools and max it out at 12 schools and no more than 2 more from Texas.
    Just my dream.

14. mb227

mb227 1,000+ Posts

Don't forget Illinois, which SHOULD be an easier win than a Baylor or Rice ever would be...

15. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 500+ Posts

Wadster
    I was ok with the Big 12 till that game. I think 15k is generous. Looked to me like four seats for every 1 person at best. Time to move on.

16. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 500+ Posts

Aggie left so Texas should not be a problem. I think OK has to leave for the academic prestige alone even if OK state is hurt.