More on Scott Situation

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by realtexmex, Feb 8, 2008.

1. realtexmex

realtexmex 25+ Posts

Tags [Edit]: None
    I grabbed this from the Dallas News Blogs. I didn't see it here. This is juicy stuff. Apparently Scott's mom asked Kennedy to up the ante and he refused to get into a bidding war for Scott's services. Now rumor has it that a tape of the conversation between her and Kennedy exists and the tape is headed to the NCAA. Don't know if this is pure BS, but it wouldn't surprise me at all, given that our top brass may get directly involved. Please read below.

Posted by Jason @ 2:11 PM Wed, Feb 06, 2008
    My step sister is Josh Smith's girlfriend. Josh Smith is Darrell Scott's uncle & Darrell Scott's mother's brother. He's a freshman WR at CU. Per her, Darrell's mom was offered a great job at a bank in Boulder by a huge CU fan as an enticement to get Darrell to come to CU. My step-sister didn't know what kind of $$$ the job pays, but Josh told her it was a huge increase over her current job. She apparently still has to "interview", but the job was promised to her should Darrell come to CU. Josh had told her that Darrell apparently told his recuiter at Texas and their head coach that he was Texas bound as recently as Saturday afternoon. The job offer was fully extended on Sunday, after being discussed prior to the CU coaches visiting Darrell in CA last Thursday or Friday. Darrell's mom then cut off all communication w/ Texas and had Darrell call Texas Monday evening to tell them he'd changed his mind. I asked my step sister how any of this could be legal, but she said that Josh had said that it was all perfectly legal b/c none of the promises/offers came directly from the CU staff. They were apparently aware of the offers though. She also said that Josh had said that Darrell was pretty sold on Texas, but a lot of questions were brought up by the CU staff regarding some new guy they hired at Texas to coach running backs. Apparently, he's a real sleezy guy, and CU explained that's why he'd been at 4 schools in 4 years as a coach. Take it for what it's worth, but that's what my step-sister Ashley told me yesterday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by BuffsBeware @ 3:08 PM Wed, Feb 06, 2008
    Stay tuned, this $$$/Job for Momma is just getting some legs, will be a very interesting deal when the facts come out. Buff fans, get ready for a NCAA visit soon!

Posted by Kevin T. @ 9:33 PM Thu, Feb 07, 2008
    The Big XII and NCAA have received a grievance claim regarding Darrell Scott and are expected to report that enough information exists to warrant an investigation. For all the CU fans that want to believe this is just all a bunch of sour grapes, I'm sorry to report that there is a lot to this story. I can't go into detail, but there were improprieties at the hands of Alexis Scott. I won't make claims, b/c I don't know squat about Darrell Scott, but recordings were made of a key call between Bobby Kennedy & Alexis Scott, in which she pretty much asked him to beat the best offer they'd received from Colorado. I have not heard the call, but I have seen the initial transcripts. After Kennedy refused to do any illegal recruiting, she sent him a text message, "thanx for everything. MOM" Two days later Darrell committed to Colorado. It should be noted, he committed to Texas on 1/23 & again on 1/31. The Major Applewhite hire occurred a week before he 1st committed.

I love the comments about the unscrupulous, sleazy Coach formerly known as Major Applewhite.

2. fhetw

fhetw 100+ Posts

that sleezy coach is always getting promoted! damn him!

3. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

There may be some truth to these allegations or they may be complete crap, but one thing is for sure....anyone that puts any stock in these type of internet comments needs to talk to me about my Nigerian uncle who is in a bit of a jam. I cant tell you guys everything here, but let me just tell you, it could be quite the profitable venture if you can help us out.....

4. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

If even some of this is true, Alexis Scott should get an award for "Earliest Screwing Up of a Son's Career." Could this be considered child abuse???? [​IMG]

5. formermav43

formermav43 250+ Posts

I read about a girl who said her stepsister is Josh Smith's grilfriend, who is Darrel Scott's uncle. Yep, that's an ironclad source right there.

6. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

7. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

WOW!
    i just hope we are clear and the NCAA and CU and anyone outside of UT can deal with it.

8. lnghrn005

lnghrn005 250+ Posts

Who cares. We don't need him. We'll be fine with out him.

The 09 class is gonna make us all forget this ridiculousness. Gilbert has committed, hopefully Shepard commits. Thats 2 of the top prospects in the nation, hopefully the rest of the big time Texas recruits will see the makings of a special class and will jump aboard(Whaley, Michael, Pratt, Timmons(hoping), Loston(hoping), Ashcroft(hoping), McFarland, etc) and some OOS prospects will see the class and decide to jump aboard and be part of something special.

9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

This is very interesting. I'm sad for the young man, if true. It's a very tough situation for a struggling (not poor just getting by) family to be be able to take the higher ground if this was really presented to them.

10. txlax

txlax < 25 Posts

Why are so many of us so willing to accept as God's truth an anonymous post on an internet blog claiming to know the situation by 3 or 4 degrees of separation? Is this what we've come to?

11. LittleBunnyFooFoo

LittleBunnyFooFoo 500+ Posts

12. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I think the most telling sign that something went very wrong for Texas is Mack's attitude in his pc. He talked about parents lying and about violations. He seemed to be very preturbed. Considering this and what is a very apparent turn around in Scott's attitude I would think there is some body of evidence that indicates that CU did not win his services fair and square. There certainly seemed to be some bad words said about Major.
    Could Scott have made a difference in our program? Dunno but just maybe it could have. I also remain unconvinced that OU pulled the top three prospects from Texas out of a hat along with the bunny without some sleight of hand going on.

13. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

I'll say this again...IF (and that's a big if) this is true, we don't want the kid and his "opportunistic" mom anyway. IF it is not, then good luck to Scott except for the times he plays UT.

14. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

One other question....is it LEGAL to tape conversations if one party doesn't know about it?

15. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Bulletin boards and rumors aside, I honestly don't think Mack Brown would be relying on hearsay to take this as far as he has.
    I trust Mack on this one. God knows he's seem some shady stuff. For him to "flip out" about DS tells me that something extremely wrong has occurred.
    So, I think a distinction needs to be made between rumors, sour grapes, everybody does it type stuff and the fact that Mack Brown has personally taken interest into what has happened.

16. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

I am almost certain that in Texas, only 1 of the parties has to consent to the taping of a phone call.

17. well as they ...... Don't Mess With Texas. You mess with the horn, you'll get the horns..... and of course: eat it, nerd!

18. Poor Aggies

Poor Aggies 25+ Posts

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV (or stayed at a Holiday Inn). This is my understanding and I am willing to be corrected by a real attorney:

- It is legal to tape any conversation that you are involved in.
    - It is not admissible in court to use a taped phone conversation as evidence against a person who does not consent to the taping.
    - It is admissible if the conversation is done in person.
    - The NCAA is not bound by the same rules of evidence as our criminal court system.

19. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Regarding Major Applewhite: if I were a coach involved in the recruitment of a running back and Texas was my chief competitor for his services, I'd play up Major's job-hopping tendencies, too. The counterpoint would be that he was taking promotions along the way, and my counter to that would be that he took a demotion in coming to Texas, and that he probably wouldn't be around long.

I sure wouldn't call him a sleaze if I didn't actually think he was one (and not even then). I doubt that part of the tactic is true.

20. mr. sunshine

mr. sunshine 250+ Posts

Under Texas law, a recording of a phone conversation is admissible as evidence in court if one of the parties to the conversation was aware it was being recorded. In California, both parties have to be aware the conversation was recorded for it to be admissible. If one party is in Texas and the other's in California, the state law of the party who made the call controls, if I recall correctly.

21. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

whether the conversation would be admissible in court is wholly irrelevant.

22. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Earlier, I had some misgivings about the UT President getting involved in this. Not now. Nobody's been convicted of anything...so far, there's just rumors and allegations, but enough that the recruitment of Scott needs to be looked into by someone...if not Colorado officials, then the NCAA.

If Darrell Scott allowed his commitment to be swayed by under-the-table promises to his mother, he wouldn't be the first to do that. I am surprised that Colorado is involved in this kind of allegation, given the previous recent problems the school went through on Barnett's watch.

I agree with a previous poster that I haven't seen Mack this involved in a cheating allegation ever. I don't think he would base his reaction on rumors, which leads me to believe that Texas has some firm information to back up the allegation. If that's the case, Texas has to act. If Colorado tries to dismiss this, or sweep it under the carpet, the NCAA has to step in with its' own investigation.

This is NOT sour grapes. Texas loses one or two players we want badly every year to other schools, and you don't see the kind of reaction from Mack that has been there this time.

If the Scott family is involved in inappropriate recruiting, I don't feel sorry for Darrell Scott. There are way too many other high school players who don't, and wouldn't accept anything under the table for themselves or family members.

All of this is conjecture right now. Darrell Scott and his mother aren't proven guilty of anything yet, but the allegations must be looked into, and if anything of substance is found, all of the parties must face the consequences. UT would have been remiss in NOT pursuing this matter.

23. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

24. okhorns

okhorns 100+ Posts

well it is time to hang 100 on colorado asap.
    this time mack will not pull the troops back when we are up 67 in the middle of the third quarter. [​IMG]

25. UTCU

UTCU < 25 Posts

Wow. I have degrees from both CU and UT, love college football, and would've been pretty happy no matter what school this kid (who is still unproven, I might add) chose. But his kind of stuff makes me ashamed to be a Longhorn. It's really pathetic. Step back and take a breather. The chances of this story being true are so close to zero that I can't quite figure out why I'm typing this.

Have a little dignity, Texas. UT has a great team with solid coaches who lost out on a top recruit. Perhaps Mack should have given Josh Smith a look.

26. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Tell us what part of our president notifying CU's president of wrongdoing is not having dignity. We are not reporting them to the NCAA.

Why don't you just hold onto your indignation for a little while?

27. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

28. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Sour grapes?? That's lame.

We've lost great recruits a hundred times in the mack brown era and nobody from UT has ever put forth this kind of talk.

I'm guessing there is something to it and Mack is sick and tired of dealing with this kind of bull ****.

29. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

30. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

One more time now and please pay attention !!!!!!!

Neither Mack Brown, any of his assistants or the president of The University of Texas is turning Colorado in for NCAA violations. I do not understand why that is so hard for some of you to understand.