Most Overrated Rock Bands of All Time

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by LonghornCatholic, Oct 24, 2013.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

It can be an individual artist but lets keep Brittney and Beeber types out.
    Bubble gum music doesn't count.

I appreciate their gimmick but my most overrated band of all time is:

KISS

2. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Pearl Jam has to be in the conversation

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I never really thought of KISS as a musical act but rather just rock theater that happened to play some forgettable tunes.

Shout It Out Loud is kinda catchy though.

Agree on Pearl Jam.

4. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

My vote goes to Bon Jovi. Has any band gotten more mileage from three songs (including a soundtrack hit) and Oprah appearances? When "Runaway" is in your wheelhouse, you know your resume is extremely thin.

5. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

U2 I mean WTF. I guess they were a "right place right time" kind of deal, but the songwriting is very ******. The edge is the most overrated musician of all time

6. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

Kiss, agreed. But that doesnt keep me from seeing their shows and being a fan. It was never about the music. Its the nostalgia. They were the first hard rock kids band.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Holy ****, just this morning I was thinking about how overrated KISS is even though I adored them in Elementary school. They have songs that are good but as a whole, nah. At least not for me.

Nirvana. One of the lesser bands out of Seattle at that time but with the luck of having the best video first. Their most famous member is the least talented. I have two songs of theirs on vinyl singles and that's just to sell one day. I enjoy many other bands from there during that era much, much more. I just don't get it. The best thing to happen to them was nutjob dying when he did.

8. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

Beach Boys

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

10. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Rush

If I want to hear a screeching Canadian, I'll beat a goose on the head with a rock.

11. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

12. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

The Eagles. Their music is pedestrian at best, and Hotel California is garbage.

13. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

14. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

Definitely agree with Bon Jovi, and let me throw Aerosmith's name out there. Though Dream On is a great song, I always thought the rest of their catalog was average.

Also agree with hooklahoma's statement about The Edge: sounds like he plays the same damn riff in just about every one of U2's songs.

15. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

The Partridge Family. I mean, really, who wants to be in a band with their Mom?

16. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

With the diverse tastes in music and the passions they can provoke, this thread might end up on the west mall.

17. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Kiss without a doubt. I love the Eagles, especially since Jon Souther, went to high school here in Amarillo. He was one of their writers.

18. Third Coast

Number one on my list would have to be The Grateful Dead. While I liked some of their tunes, their legacy seems to be built on a sub-culture phenomenon, more than talent. They would make a decent house band at The Armadillo, but that's about it.

That's bound to upset some Dead Heads. lol

19. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

LIke the Dead but agree way overrated as well.

The only one making my blood boil is Rush [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Man, I kind of like Pearl Jam.
    Hotel California and Life in the Fast Ln are great songs, imo.

Agree with the Dead. Other than Touch of Grey, they do nothing for me.

21. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Struck some nerves, I see.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Third Coast

23. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

Somebody say Black Sabbath. Say Black Sabbath one god damn time. I dare you. I double dog dare you MFer.

24. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Loves me some Black Sabbath.

So I've got that going for me.... [​IMG]

25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I never cared at all about Kiss and their crappy music, but loved Aerosmith's music. A few years ago I went to San Antonio to see Kiss and Aerosmith in concert figuring I would have to put in ear plugs through Kiss to get to Aerosmith.

I was totally shocked when Kiss put on a great show and Aerosmith sucked playing a bunch of crap music seeming like they couldn't wait to get off the stage.

So because of that I'll defend Kiss and say Aerosmith is the most overrated rock band of all time.

26. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Hard for me to say the Eagles are an over rated rock band since I never thought of them as a rock band to begin with.

27. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Anybody that doesn't like the Beach Boys should take their goose to Canada and watch hockey players fight each other.
    I'll list all heavy metal bands, starting with Led Zepplin.

28. Third Coast

I don't have a problem with The Beach Boys, but then I don't have a problem with same sex marriage either. One does kind of remind me of the other though.

I'm really just joking with those comments. I actually sang "God only knows" in a Sunday school play when I was very young and I didn't like boys. Well, not in that way.

29. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

30. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

You're entitled to like whatever rap, modern "country," or nihilistic post-modern punk music you want, but you aren't entitled to call irrationality "sensible."