Mulkey hits new low

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by WCBBNUT, Mar 11, 2015.

1. txtreefan

txtreefan 100+ Posts

Y'all sound like a bunch of aggies attached to some deeply deluded notion of moral victory. Kim Mulkey owns Karen Aston- 10 victories in a row. I wish the Texas coach had a quarter of Mulkey's intensity, an eighth of her basketball IQ, and a one hundredth of her integrity. Sure, Mulkey is a bit crazy, but not NEARLY as crazy as those of you risking libel suits by claiming she cursed at Empress Davenport. I don't like Mulkey: she is a sore loser, and dresses appallingly, but she does more with less talent than any other coach in the U.S.. At Texas , we have a coach who dresses appallingly without the trailer trash flair, couldn't coach a half court offense if her life depended on it, and can barely get to a 50% conference record in the weakest Big 12 of all time.

2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

It doesn't matter if Kim cursed or not. It also doesn't matter if Empress actually said anything or not. What coach, in their right mind, would trash talk to or with student athletes from another school? And what was she thinking when she grabbed Empress to the point that E had to literally push her off. I realize "in their right mind" renders this question moot.

No one on here seems to be questioning her coaching skills, rather we're questioning her judgement. Speaking for myself, I am questioning the value of a Louisianna education.

I would love to have Baylor's record over the last decade, but certainly not their coach.

#40acres40minutes

3. txtreefan

txtreefan 100+ Posts

Get real: I have heard Jody Conradt drop a number of f bombs at refs when she wanted to get a technical to motivate the team. PHS, herself, was queen of potty mouthness. And before you trash a Louisiana education, I would take it over an Arkansas one, which is what we have now . . . Mulkey wears her heart on her sleeve. That is sometimes tragic, but she has skill and charisma. Right now, Texas has a coach with neither.

4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

You don't distinguish between a ref and student? Really?

And I am trashing the Louisianna education that left this coach thinking that kind of behavior is appropriate. What the hell does Mulkey yelling and grabbing a Texas player have to do with Aston's education?

Charisma? Are we talking about Kim Mulkey, the coach from Baylor? Charisma? She has the charisma of a dog with fleas - they shake a lot, but it ain't cause they're dancing.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

You'll have to forgive the resident troll. He/she will be in hiding around this time next year, I can guarantee you that.

6. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

It's Baylor for goodness sakes. These are the same folks that brought you Darrel Johnson, Ken Starr and Dave Bliss. At least this low rent Sea Hag wins. The others were just pigs who brought probation, impeachment and body bags.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Don't forget, she was also caught cheating.

8. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I still think txtreefan is missing the point.

Mulkey could retire tomorrow and still go down as one of the most successful coaches in the game. Why trash talk players? It's pathetic. They won the game. Why not show a little dignity? This is a grown woman trash talking a bunch of 19 and 20 year old kids who simply said they came to win. Remember, this happens as she is pulling her starters. Before Aston upset her by keeping her starters in.

And then to accost a player after the game when you are supposed to be congratulating one another on a good game... How insecure must she be to act like that?

10. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Yes, kudos to Empress for not whopping her up the side of the head!!
    :bow:

• Like Like x 2
  11. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I totally agree, every coach knows that you don't talk trash to players. If her players wanted to talk trash to our players that's fine. If coach Aston was saying things about their team, not about the players but in general then Mulkey would have every right to go at coach Aston. Every coach of any sport knows that you don't say anything to opposing players.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I'm not in the camp that sells my soul to the devil....apparently it's worth it to Baylor Athletics. BTW, worth reminding that BU WBB team ends their two year probation next month.

13. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Has it been leaked what Kim actually said to Empress when she had her around her neck? I suppose it wasn't "good game"?

14. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

No and No........

15. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

f**k that *****

16. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

LOL, please

• Like Like x 3
  17. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 2
  18. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Surprised that no one in Austin has picked up on this or got Aston to comment? Gonna have to tweet Kirk Bohls to ask during the next media availability. He seems to like to stir the UT v Baylor pot.

Details on what lead to the late game "pressing"
    The players heard Mulkeys Comments and ASKED coach Aston to press and she obliged. So she actually brought that on herself. Not that anyone in their right mind would feel sorry for her after this mess. And to be honest I really really really liked Mulkey to the point that I would root for them to win whenever it was not against Texas' interest. I could never do that now. In my coaching career I've only been reprimanded by my administration once, and that was for threatening to punch an opposing coach in the face if he ever talked to my kids (players) like that again. There is absolutely ZERO tolerance for that from me. You mind your own damn business and coach your team, any issues or problems you have, you talk to an adult not the child.

PS
    Can someone tell me where that damn block/mute feature is haha.

19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

My respect for Mulkey and her won/loss record is pegging at the Barry Switzer level. Predict she'll go out as the female Woody Hayes at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  20. True2Horns

True2Horns 250+ Posts

Dying to know what is happening with this...and what KM said to Empress at the end.

21. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

This will take a while to sort out, investigate, etc.....Meanwhile, "back at the ranch", or in our case, the 40 Acres, we need to focus on getting to California and getting a couple of W's....Neither Empress nor anyone else on the team has time to be bothered with crude and rude Mulkey...we got better fish to fry...
    :yippee:

• Like Like x 3
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I doubt anything is gonna happen; if something was gonna happen, it would have been in the 7 days after the tourney concluded.

As for Mulkey continually making comments like "careful what you wish for", she completely took our players' comments out of context. After all, our players' comments were after our OU victory, and Baylor had already beaten OSU earlier in the day to advance to the championship game. So, they weren't "wishing" for anything.

23. Bes Mcinney

Bes Mcinney First Time Poster

April 2012

WACO, Texas -- The NCAA put Baylor on three years of probation Wednesday after an investigation turned up hundreds of impermissible telephone calls and text messages sent to prep recruits by coaches and assistants on the basketball teams.
    The violations were considered to be major infractions, and they were announced less than a week after the Lady Bears won the national championship with the first 40-0 season in NCAA history.

[​IMG] Any compliance-related mistakes, even those that are secondary, are disappointing. The majority of mistakes in this matter were errors in sending text messages and failure to accurately document our phone calls.
    ” -- Baylor women's basketball coach
    Kim Mulkey
    Still, it could have been much worse for Baylor. All of the penalties were proposed by the school and accepted by the NCAA after a review of nearly 900,000 phone and text message records found that 738 texts and 528 calls were against the rules.
    The NCAA said men's coach Scott Drew failed to monitor his program and will be suspended for two Big 12 games next season, in addition to recruiting restrictions. Women's coach Kim Mulkey also received recruiting restrictions.
    "I believe strongly in following NCAA rules and will always try to do so in the future," Mulkey said in a statement released by the school. "I do nothing without permission from our compliance office and will continue to ask questions to assure that things are done right. Any compliance-related mistakes, even those that are secondary, are disappointing. The majority of mistakes in this matter were errors in sending text messages and failure to accurately document our phone calls."
    Men's assistant coaches Paul Mills and Jerome Tang also were named in the report along with women's assistant coach Damion McKinney.
    Among the self-imposed penalties:
    • Mulkey -- whose 2011-12 squad went 40-0 and won the NCAA title -- will be prohibited from recruiting off campus for the entire summer recruiting period (July 1-31).
    • The women's basketball program lost two of its 15 scholarships in 2011-12.
    • McKinney hasn't been allowed to make recruiting calls to prospective student-athletes since Jan. 1. The ban will be lifted on May 1.
    • The men's program lost one scholarship for both the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons.
    • Drew will be suspended for the first two Big 12 games of the season.
    • Drew and Tang were prohibited from making recruiting calls from Jan. 1 to Feb. 29 of this year.
    • The maximum number of official visits allowed to the men's basketball team in 2012-13 was reduced from 12 to seven.
    Baylor will have no more additional penalties other than those it self-imposed.
    The report put a bit of a damper on what has been an extraordinary run of success for Baylor athletics.
    Besides Baylor's win over Notre Dame for the women's title, Drew's team won a school-record 30 games and reached the NCAA regional finals, where the Bears lost to eventual national champion Kentucky. And all that came after star quarterback Robert Griffin III became the school's first Heisman Trophy winner following a football season that included 10 wins for the first time since 1980.
    Mulkey was named the AP's national coach of the year and junior Brittney Griner was its player of the year. How Baylor recruited Griner, one of the most dominant women's players in college basketball history, was part of the NCAA probe.
    A school report obtained by ESPN.com said Mulkey and her staff committed minor NCAA violations for having impermissible contact with Griner and her family. During a 2007 camp, coaches spoke with the Griners about the basketball program, academic requirements and the school in general both before and after the camp.
    Mulkey also reportedly broke NCAA rules when she sat next to Griner's father and discussed what the Baylor experience would be like. Brittney Griner, who is from the Houston area, played on the same AAU team as Mulkey's daughter, Makenzie Robertson.
    The NCAA report did not mention Griner or her family by name, though Mulkey addressed it in her statement.
    "The other matters were related to my daughter's participation in summer basketball," she said. "While I am and will always be a mother first, I do recognize that there has to be a balance between my role as a mother of a prospect and my role as a head coach. I have always tried to strike that balance and appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate to the NCAA staff such balancing efforts dating back to when Makenzie was in the seventh grade. I am pleased that my efforts to find the appropriate balance between a mother and a coach were recognized."

"I sincerely apologize to Baylor University and Baylor Nation. I learned a very valuable lesson in this case. In my 13 years of coaching at NCAA institutions, I have not intentionally violated NCAA rules. I will grow from this experience with a better understanding of NCAA rules."
    ” -- Mark Morefield, former Baylor men's assistant coach
    Griner said she had "made it clear to the NCAA staff and everyone else" that she had chosen Baylor early in the recruiting process.
    The NCAA's investigation also determined that former men's assistant Mark Morefield committed a major violation when he attempted to influence two AAU coaches to furnish the NCAA with false and misleading information regarding a series of text messages. Morefield, who resigned in July 2011, faces a one-year "show cause" order that effectively prevents him from coaching at an NCAA school.
    "I sincerely apologize to Baylor University and Baylor Nation. I learned a very valuable lesson in this case," Morefield said in a statement released Thursday. "In my 13 years of coaching at NCAA institutions, I have not intentionally violated NCAA rules. I will grow from this experience with a better understanding of NCAA rules."
    The NCAA violations come nine years after Baylor basketball player Patrick Dennehy was found shot to death after he had been missing for six weeks. Teammate Carlton Dotson pleaded guilty to murder. The ensuing investigation uncovered NCAA violations, illegal tuition payments and unreported failed drug tests that led to the resignation of coach Dave Bliss, who was secretly recorded by an assistant coach while trying to persuade others to cover up misdeeds by portraying Dennehy as a drug dealer.
    Athletic director Ian McCaw said the school has made "significant investments in compliance staffing and infrastructure" since the investigation began.
    Drew said he took full responsibility for the violations, saying many were simply the result of improperly logging or failing to log calls to recruits. He noted that the school has a new software tracking system to assist coaches with the logistics.
    "I came to Baylor in 2003 to do a job: rebuild a program decimated by very serious NCAA rules violations and tragedy," he said. "I promised to rebuild the program in a way Baylor could be proud -- morally, academically and, finally, athletically, and we continue on that journey today."
    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

She's dirty

25. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't think anyone here is upset that Mulkey said a cuss word. The point is there's never a place for a coach to trash talk an opposing player.

We sound like every other fanbase in the country. Here's the number of them that wouldn't be upset if an opposing coach put his/her hands on one of their players like that: 0. And if Mulkey were a man she'd be in some sort of actual trouble for it.

• Like Like x 5
  27. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Stumbled across Pamela McGee's Twitter page (Imani's mom) and she happened to be at the championship game and she was NOT happy about Mulkey's behavior at all. She even left this gem that made me lol

"@PamelaMcGee34: @rolandsmartin @Big12Conference Roland I left the game I wanted her to remember who stopped her in 83 from a championship ring!"

• Like Like x 1
  28. True2Horns

True2Horns 250+ Posts

It has gotten to the point where Baylor is right up there with UConn in terms of my ability to give a single crap about anything they do.

29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I'm not certain, but feel pretty confident that Kim Mulkey and Tonya Harding were raised by the same wolves. Or they at least grew up in the same trailer park.

• Like Like x 5
  30. True2Horns

True2Horns 250+ Posts

And of course we are treated to the ENTIRE blowout Baylor game this afternoon. :brickwall: