Musberger's Mixon rant

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Detective Shilala, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Musberger has always been a complete slobberknocker, but last night was beyond the pale.
    First, He did mention that the video was released and was disturbing. He wished Mixon the best of luck and explained he has been given a second chance by Stoops. OK. Fair enough. This is a football game, and personally, I think Mixon is a POS but what is done is done and what else is a color commentator to say about it. Move along.

Later on in the broadcast he felt compelled to explain his stance and this is where he should have shut his festering gob. Never mentioned anything about the victim, almost as if this was a victimless crime. Never put any conditions on his wishes for Mixon. Just that he was given a second chance and he "happens to pull for people who are given a second chance!" ( I wonder if he pulls for OJ Simpson )
    He also said that he hopes other people will learn from Mixon's experience (as if this is something happened TO Mixon) .
    From what Musberger said, I can only think that the lesson is that if you run really fast, you get to punch at least one woman through the goal posts of life, and no one will care.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Well the part when Mixon got caught was the something that happened to him. They can look at his mistakes and plan better to not get caught. I can't stand Musberger.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

People like Musberger and Dick Vitale are shills for the money making enterprise. They will say anything that downplay the problems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Apparently the lesson is you can punch women and get away with it if you don't do it that often. You may have to sit for a couple of games but ultimately it's not going to have a whole lot of impact on your career or life in general.

5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Calling what Mixon did a mistake is what I call a "False Equivalency." I see it happen far too often; the hierarchy is flattened out in order to equalize our judgments so that if we forgive one person we should then forgive another because the forgiveness is what is used as the measure and not the act itself. I get the idea of forgiving someone but in this context we know why he was forgiven; $$$ and victory.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I couldn't believe he made such stupid comments. He also seemed to say that Mixon had done OU a favor and given them a second chance, when he said that Mixon had even considered to transfer, but decided to put up with the year suspension and keep playing at OU.

I already did not like Musberger. This just added to that dislike.

• Like Like x 1
  7. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Yes, and the nonsense about Mixon maybe using the admittedly "brutal" surveillance video as a teaching opportunity for others... . Wow.

8. Detective Shilala

Yep, it was almost as if Mixon were a damn hero. He put up with mean ol Bob's heavy handed punishment (HAHAH) and didn't transfer (as if anyone other than Baylor would have take him)
    Then he did the world a favor by releasing video of this accident which happened TO him and we can all learn from it.

I don't have any sympathy for the kid. If he gets a second chance and makes good on his life, good for him. He did not make a mistake though. Getting in a car accident because you did not see a stop sign is a mistake. This is more like having road rage and hitting someone with your car because you were tailgating them. Society does not need to learn a lesson from this or make him feel better about it. Nothing wrong at all with shaming people for being ********. Mixon is the one with a lesson to learn, but if its up to people like Musberger, he won't.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

He didn't "get away" with it.

Mixon lost a season, not a couple of games. If he had held his temper for a few seconds, he would be heading for an NFL payday in a few months rather than a year and four months. I don't know if you can punish someone enough for an horrific punch to the face of a female. But honestly, abusers outside of football get away with less consequences for similar and worse violence. This incident will haunt Mixon as long as he is in the public eye.

The public tolerance for violence against women is at the lowest level in my memory. The NFL and NCAA are no longer considering this kind of stuff a "personal matter." Anybody paying attention should learn a lesson ...

10. Detective Shilala

Can we at least agree on the facts?
    - He did not lose a season.
    - Musberger is slobberknocker.

This should haunt him.It should be the impetus for doing good deeds going forward. And one thing I believe about Americans is that as much as we like tearing idols down, we also love to see people redeem themselves.
    So people will forgive and forget, but the behavior should never be excused away, and the other night, Musberger basically canonized Mixon for it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Mixon lost a season. He would have played as a true freshman. He didn't... He couldn't even practice with the team. If not for this hanging over his head, he would be headed for the 2017 NFL draft. Instead, he gets to play football at OU in his fourth year on campus. Unless Mixon plays for OU as a fifth year senior, something I consider highly unlikely, the way I see it he lost a season.

12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It's time they kick Mushburger to the curb.
    His whole shtick has become intolerable.
    I can't bear listening to the guy.

• Like Like x 5
  13. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I simply record the game and start watching 30 minutes to an hour later so I can zip through all of the commercials and between-play talking head junk. The only problem is avoiding hearing the score before I get home to watch. It saves time too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

This was the most idiotic statement he made, as if were a great idea and would ever actually happen. He's out of touch with reality.

15. stormhorn

stormhorn 250+ Posts

16. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

A few things disturb me about about this incident and subsequent reactions. First of all, I lost what little respect I ever had for Stoops as a coach and Boren as the head of OU for having watched this, when it happened, and not removing him from the program, and the school. Second, I cannot believe how some have dismissed this as a mistake by a young man. This was a brutal act on a woman that could only be done by someone with a very dark side. And last, I have noticed a lot of grandstanding, showboating and cheerleading by Mixon on the sidelines during games, making me wonder about true remorse and lessons learned. Those who are truly remorseful would maintain a low profile and let their performance speak for them.

The other thing I wonder is where were the other men at the scene who let this thug do what he did and just walk out the door. Too bad there were no MEN available that night at the scene. And maybe none in the entirety of Norman to privide some adjustments to the Mixon profile, if you know what I mean.

17. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

just so you know.. Musburger is about to launch what's going to be a very popular 24 hour a day sports betting show in Las Vegas and that's where he's moving.

You heard it here. Just like back in October I said the Tom Herman hire was a done deal.

18. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I think Musberger is the best in the business. He has done some amazing games and calls for decades and decades.
    Anything he said about Mixon was gonna get attacked or over scrutinized by someone or some group. I'm okay with 2nd chances, but chances are Mixon has been doing this for years. I don't know what punishment he got from the law. That being said, my opinion is Mixon is a Sooner, and acts appropriately to the program's long standing history of Criminals and Mega Douches. He should of done a year in jail.

19. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I didn't read too much into his comments. He sounded upset to me the second time around and was probably trying to defend himself from the social media storm caused by comments earlier in the game.

I thought his first comments were football commentary and relatively benign, but his comments later in the show were personal and uncomfortable. You could tell he was bothered by something and I am assuming that something would be the backlash from his initial comments about Mixon. I mean, maybe I missed something, but his first comments sounded like a normal depiction of what what happened 3 years ago or whatever plus a short narrative tying that to the present game. I didn't see him siding with Mixon. I mean, Musburger has been married for over 50 years so I doubt he's all about violence against women or something. His later comments were like fingernails on a chalkboard for me, though, but I bet he was shocked that every social warrior with a computer and an IP address took time out of their lives to blast him on Twitter.

Brent Musburger didn't say anything abhorrent as far as I am concerned, but he didn't do himself any favors by raging the second time around. What do people expect a football commentator to do? Is s/he supposed to gather all the facts of the case and explain everything that happened between plays? Aside from that, nobody knows all the facts, anyway, they are just reacting to a video with no context.

From what I have read (meaning I know nothing), in this case you have an 18 year old and a 20 year old at an after hours bar >2am. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both parties were probably impaired on at least one substance. Allegedly someone gets called a name and then someone is called the N word, spit on, and slapped twice. Then the other person throws a punch. I think most of us wouldn't even find ourselves in that situation in the first place, and probably most of us would have removed ourselves from that situation when it escalated. That's not what happened here, obviously, and one of the offending parties was suspended from football for a year and convicted of misdemeanor battery per the justice system in Oklahoma. Everyone can (and will) make their own judgement on whether that is enough punishment.

Either way, anyone in the media (or social media) who is piling on now is just trying to advance their own agenda or create revenue for their employer. That CNN article is about domestic abuse, so it's not even relevant to this incident since Mixon and the victim didn't even know each other. To me, that's even more tragic. Domestic violence is an issue we should all detest, but demonizing Brent Musburger doesn't advance that conversation at all.

*Legal disclosure: Hoop does not condone hitting women or domestic violence. Hoop is also completely neutral on Brent Musburger and doesn't know any of his family, coworkers, friends, friends of friends, or friends of a girlfriend that briefly dated his son's nephew. He also detests the media capitalizing on incidents they know nothing about or do not investigate so they can profit or appear altruistic. He also specifically notes that he is not against or for any opinions posted on the Hornfans forums. He appreciates all discussions on Hornfans. Hoop dislikes the Sooners and the Aggies, but understands why some people like them. Hoop also likes puppies, long walks on the beach, and sushi.

• Like Like x 1
  20. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Is it always called domestic violence when a man and a woman get into it? What is it when two punks are at a late night restaurant?

Also, honest question attorneys, can he press charges too since she put her hands on him first?

21. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

aPATHETIC!

22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

All I can say is , wow!!
    Sorry, but the guy is horrible.
    He had his day.
    But it was a long time ago.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Not an attorney, but it is universally called assault. It varies by state/municipality and there are varying degrees. In this case, he did not contest charges of an act resulting in gross injury.

On your second question, yes he could have pressed charges if he had made contact with the police. I don't think that happened, as he left the scene. The DA could have charged her, too. It's pretty clear there are two assaults here. The DA is on the record about that.

Greg Mashburn is the Cleveland County DA and here is a quote from him from 2014:

“She assaulted and battered first,” he said. “This charge, under the statute in Cleveland County, takes all argument out of it.”

It's possible that they did charge her, too. Who knows? There is certainly a lot more evidence than just the video.

That's really clever!

Anyway, back to the original thread - I don't see how 10 seconds of what Musburger said or didn't say has anything to do with violence against women or violence in general. Some people apparently see it differently. Go figure!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  24. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Like 11 years and 1 day ago :hookem:

25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

If you reference UT's National Championship, Mushburger was not an announcer for that game.
    That was Keith Jackson. And he was horrible then.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Uisage,

Mushmouth was pathetic when he did the 1984 Texas/OU game. Zero improvement since. Don't know who he has pictures of, but they have to be felony quality stuff.

27. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

It was like they asked Stoops, what if had been his daughter that was hit?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

He lost exactly 0 games.

29. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i see both sides of the "lost games" debate. i think there is some semantics involved. I think top talent sees it as a lost year because they hoped to declare after their junior year anyway.

I think it was wrong. I don't think he should be villainized for years. he didn't play for a year. he'll lose money. i hope he learns from it. Man, these are kids in men's bodies. I was only ever in one fight (I'm a lover, not a fighter), and I took my hits on facebook for criticizing public figures who belittle/demean women (since we don't do politics on here)...but I don't want to see this guy through burnt orange glasses on such a serious issue. I see the ray rice issue as true domestic violence. I see this as a kid who lost his temper and punched out a person. It's a bad thing and a wrong thing. Do the time (not playing, legal ramifications, lower draft status/less money) then move on and hope he teaches his kids about acting a fool.

30. Detective Shilala

Not so long ago we had a very promising young talent break someone's face in a bar. It was a dude's face and there was no video of it yet the player was get kicked off our team with extreme prejudice. I bet he was even drunk (as if that has ever been a valid excuse) I am really glad our university does not have the same moral compass as mush Berger or stoops. I hope we never give a second chance like this one. I cannot even imagine what goes through the mind of bob stoops when he reviews these cases. "Did she die? No? Sweet how can I minimize how this effects our season"