Musburger

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 4th_floor, Nov 29, 2014.

1. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

The only good part about having a crappy team is that Musburger doesn't do your games. I am becoming homicidal listening to him do the iron bowl. How can both teams have the best receiver in the country? How can Sims be laying outstanding after his 3rd interception? The man is a moron.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

SEC brah

3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Are you talking about the King of Cliches? The Master of Hype? Or just the most boring announcer on sports television?

It's painful to listen...

4. everette

everette 250+ Posts

I had to mute him. I just couldn't stand it. I've hated that SOB for at least 25 years.

5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Musberger did so many huge Texas games and its his call of Ricky's run and Roll Left and so many others that mean I will always have a soft spot for him, but yes he is annoying as hell at times. [​IMG]

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He is the SEC Network's lead announcer which reflects on that conference and ESPN.

7. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

he has been a top announcer for a century because of one thing: he makes the games sort of comprehensible for people who don't understand what is going on (the rest of us would watch if Hitler was the color guy) and he gets excited, thus hyping the thrills for those who are enjoying what their team is doing-----the Ricky bit is a good example.

He is with us until he dies so get used to it.

8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I agree, he's been a part of many great Texas games and calls. The Sweed catch against tOSU was another great call. For crissakes, these threads get old.

9. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Bring back Kern Tips, Wally Pryor, Dandy Don, Howard Cossell, Dizzy Dean...

10. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

11. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

I think he is great. Very easy to listen to from a broadcast standpoint.

He's not an X's & O's person, but that is usually reserved for the other guy in the booth.

12. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I think he has a real good beat and is easy to dance to.

13. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

You can easily understand every word in his vocabulary. The Iron Bowl, The Iron Bowl, The Iron Bowl, The Iron Bowl. SEC, SEC,SEC,SEC,SEC. AJ McCarron's girlfriend. [​IMG]

14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah he sold his soul to Satan, I mean Saban.... whose first name is "Nick". Coincidence??

15. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

The last time I can remember being able to tolerate Musburger was when he was the host of the NFL Today back in the day. Never been a big fan of his play-by-play, especially when he started relying on so many goofy cliches.

16. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

sideways comment... re Gary Danielson and his team...

On a play, Gary makes it sound like the most awesome play in any game... magnifying in that moment, that particular game... when in fact that same play could be by any player on any of a 100 teams, any game, any season... but he makes it sound bigger than life... "The right guard pulled and pushed though to the linebacker, and that's what freed the play for two more yards. He never let his man go. He just willed it for two more yards." At the top of his voice, the sound track booming. And you'd think it was 1st and 10 in the dying seconds of the super bowl with a winning kick about to take place. And that no guard had ever made such a block in the history of the game.

He does that on almost every play of ever SEC game he calls.

After last weekend's game he and Verne called, I swear the background crowd noise is a recording that is constantly played every telecast. It carries the same completeness and complexity, same volume (easily enough controlled even if unique) and it rises and sustains and falls.. on and on... play to play.. .the same every game. I feel I am watching the same game all the time. Gary makes all the games, all the plays, sound all alike.

I live for the day both Verne and Gary retire. Just our luck CBS got those games.