My Final Adios

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by kingdez, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Deguello

Deguello 100+ Posts

Shane:

I'm pretty sure you don't recongnize this handle but I hopefully you remember YZF1K. You and your dad, from your posts and meeting y'all before or after games or at the Spring Game went a long way toward getting Amy as hooked (no pun intended) on Texas football as she is now. I read about your Dad's passing, but haven't yet told Amy.

Your dad's posts on 360 and here or anywhere were prime, though all too uncommon, examples of how actual knowledge could be gained and shared in this medium, and that we didn't have to aspire merely to endless "Name the defense" posts. For some reason, I especially liked his "since Jesus was a corporal."

For the last few years, we had looked forward to the start of the season to come down to Austin to see you and him, and others, and go to McLuskey's or the bar at the Four Seasons or wherever. His rants about Austin streets, or the lack of valet at McLuskey's, or the decreasing number of acceptable smoking venues, or San Franciso or Dallas or... well, whatever the topic happened to be, won't soon be forgotten.

This season just wasn't the same. I missed seeing him at the games more than I could have guessed. I miss him now more than I could have guessed. To quote your dad: f**k.

2. purplehorn3

purplehorn3 First Time Poster

Phxhorn, SLX, Alfredo, Scipio, Goliad, Hairy Scotsman, Crow, et al...........

The years of the GoBig12 / Austin360 will always be the heyday of The Texas Longhorn Football Internet Experience.

I'm at a loss for words to express the sadness I feel at the loss of Phxhorn. He was always a hell of a read. I enjoyed his posts and usually agreed with his takes of football. I pray for you and your family.

Take Care and God Bless,

Hook'em

3. the Saint

the Saint 500+ Posts

4. wifebert

wifebert First Time Poster

Mark is right, Phxhorn is a major reason I am hooked on Texas football. Taking advantage of his “gentleman’s” manners, I could ask him any question about football and he would answer. (I repeat anything, even just a plain “Why?”) It was fun to watch Neil’s “court” at the tailgates and parties. It was also fun to ride on the tailcoat of his high maintenance. He was demanding of where we would dine and drink. I missed him this season and will continue to do so.

5. Joe Cuervo

Joe Cuervo First Time Poster

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for taking the time to fill in the details of your father's life. My sympathies.

6. Cowboy

Cowboy < 25 Posts

Shane, the best way for me to express how I feel is to tell you that I will always regard meeting and talking with your Dad as highlights of my life. Hell, just reading his posts was a treat. I suppose I should blame him for getting me hooked on these silly boards, a hobby that has gotten much less interesting in the recent age of no PhxHorn posts. But it was a real treat back in the days when I could read one of his gems every day or two.

Your father was not only the most interesting football poster ever, he was a gentleman on the boards and off. Always. That's about as common as white whales in Fulton's Fish Market.

You may have noticed that the level of civility on the various boards your Dad hung around declined upon his absence. I do not believe that this was coincidence. He set the standard.

He will be missed terribly.

7. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

for you and all of us to have lost such a poster and person. It is nice to see so many 360 names on this post although I wish it were under different circumstances.

8. ut engr

ut engr < 25 Posts

though I don't post much, I've been around since the earliest of the bbs days - I enjoyed everything he brought to this community.

9. Texas

Texas 250+ Posts

I just read bits of this to my 10 year old son, SL.

I also remember Reesetex (I know he had a bad ticker so I hope he's not gone as well) who once said of your Dad, affectionately, that "my friend PhxHorn" made predictions on UT football by "reading his turd curls". (This, too,was from the old "hookem" board...funny how 1996 feels suddenly "old".)

I chuckled at the time I read that...now I'm teary eyed recalling it.

10. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

still posts occasionally on ezboard (in fact I think he broke the news about PhxHorn)

11. BrickHorn

BrickHorn < 25 Posts

Phx's posts were some of the first I ever read during the early days of Hornfans.com. His analysis was far more detailed and insightful than any sports page or football rag out there, and his work (along with that of a few others) is what drew me to this site every damned day for about a year. He will definitely be missed.

Condolences, SL.

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

God Bless and Hook 'Em!!!

[​IMG]

13. Trips Left

Trips Left < 25 Posts

My thougts about PhxHorn are similar to Beowulf's. I was always happy and comfortable in replying to his posts knowing he would respond cordially even if my takes were dead wrong. This kind of explained the Adios post in my mind. He was always amiable to posters and expected to be treated the same it seemed.

At gatherings, however, I was actually frightened to speak or respond to the man fearing that he'd laugh heartily at my preposterous take, as he extinguished his cigarette on my forehead. I respected his opinion that much. [​IMG]

The dichotomy in personality was damn near schizophrenic. The man knew his stuff and did not suffer fools in person, but on the internet, he was the gentle giant who was careful not to trample on inferior takes or posters.

I've missed him this season, and will continue to do so. My family's thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Shane.

14. Jamez

Jamez 25+ Posts

I never knew your father but he sound's like a gentleman----It is evident he knew a lot more then other people about UT football but never made it a point to ridicule other's for not knowing as much-- a true fan, a true gentleman--I never knew him but I miss him none the less.God bless you and your family. [​IMG]

15. bub

bub 100+ Posts

Your dad sounds like me, and I appreciate that. I am truly sorry for you loss.

16. SIA!!!

SIA!!! First Time Poster

The Standard was set by him.

17. Horn89

Horn89 1,000+ Posts

I was a regular on the old 360 boards, and I was pretty sad to see the quality and quantity of material there erode so completely in its final months (I remember a post titled, "Would the last one to leave turn out the lights?"). I was ambivalent at first about registering on Hornfans . . . the 360 boards just felt more like home.

The transition was made a lot easier, however, by seeing some of the same monikers on this very forum. What a relief it was after moving to my new home to find . . . PhxHorn data points!!!

18. BrazilHorn

BrazilHorn < 25 Posts

My sympathies for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to write this "Adios" It was a great read and I am sure has prompted many a phone call to fathers around the land.

19. szjones

szjones < 25 Posts

Neil was my favorite poster ever. As Shane stated it is really difficult to explain the bond that grows on these internet forums. Somehow I feel like I lost a close friend although I never met Neil and only spoke with him by phone once.

What I liked about Neil was his ability to have a discussion without getting mired in a petty back and forth, he always stayed on point. It always amazed me how many people tried to emulate Neil's style (me included) but of course there was only one PhxHorn.

Having lost my Dad less than a month ago I can really empathize with you Shane. Tough to lose your Dad on Christmas Eve. I will be praying for Shane and his family.

20. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I am truly sorry to hear about this. I can trace my roots back to the old 360 board too and Mr. Kidwell was on the posters that I really enjoyed reading. Srr50 wrote something about trying to contribute. I feel like I walk in people like Phx's shadow. My knowledge of football (and life for that matter) is pretty limited compared to his.

I am a better person for having known (of) Neil Kidwell

21. TEXMAN

TEXMAN < 25 Posts

In October of 1995, my father passed away. The following month my first child was born. My father was my best friend and I was in deep sorrow. My daughter brought me joy, but there was still a void in my heart. Then, in 1996, while browsing the internet, I found the Hookem.com website. Within the website was a link to the message boards. It was at the Texas bulletin board that I was able to escape my pain.

I remember lurking for a few months. Posters like Phxhorn, Harry Scotsman, hornfld, et. al. would disect Texas football like a frog in biology class. Each poster would remove and evaluate layer after layer of our team's skills and our coaches's abilities. I would access the site every morning to read their analysis. I could not believe that other horn fans loved the Horns as much as I did.

Fast forward today, I feel as though I have lost a family member with the passing of Phxhorn. Although I never met him in person, I feel I know him because I read so many of his posts.

SL Xpress, I did not know Phxhorn was your father. I can relate to losing a father that was also your best friend. Right now, your loss is not easy. However, in time, your sorrow will transform into peace. Your memories with your father will become the strength you draw from during other difficult times.

May God bless you and your family.

Hook'em Horns

22. UTgws

UTgws First Time Poster

I was a complete UT BBSaholic, mostly due to posters like PhxHorn from the 360 board to the Yahoo board and then to here. I was not a frequent poster on any of the forums but always gained immense insight, knowledge and entertainment from PhxHorn. I too would read a many of his post out loud to my wife, his ability to communicate was way above my meager intellect and more inline with that of my wife and I knew his posts were some of the only ones that would hold her interest long enough. As PhxHorn’s post declined in frequency, my addiction to these forums also declined, I think that is true for many and as a result I think the level of civility and intellect on the forums has also declined. I have sorely missed his posts of the last season, there will continue to be a large void in the cyberHorn world now that he has passed.

My prayers to the PhxHorn family, may the Lord comfort you in this most difficult time.

23. Hackette

Hackette < 25 Posts

24. huge

huge 250+ Posts

testament to Phx that I have never met him, but today I sit in some sort of hungover disbelief at what I am reading.

you will be missed

25. Thanks for the post, SL.

Your pop will be missed.

26. techsas

techsas First Time Poster

In the glory years of the old 360 BBS, clicking on a Phxhorn post was as natural as grabbing your next breath. A first ballot hall of famer if there ever was one.

Here's hoping that his departure happened in such a way that both barrels were empty, all chips and cards were on the table, the bottle was empty and most importantly, that he found a way to wax eloquent one more time...even after his final adios.

T.

27. Byrnan Auranja Ule

Byrnan Auranja Ule < 25 Posts

As I tear up reading this I feel I have to respond. I did not know PhxHorn personally however, I read his posts and threads with some respect to his imagination, his refusal to hold anything back and his analysis. I responded a few times but mostly to agree because he usually covered everything I could think of, but much more.

God keep you, Shane. Prayers are with you and your family. Lean on this board when you need to, friends are always here.

28. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

29. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

PhxHorn is the primary reason ya'll have been inflicted with the myriad of posts from this fan of the opposition. I'd always enjoyed venturing to the upcoming opponents of the Huskers just to view their thoughts on the game at hand as well as offer some (hopefully) even handed partially enlightening insight on NU. That is how I stumbled onto the old Austin360 boards and later this board.

It was PhxHorn's intimate knowledge of then Husker OL Coach Milt Tenopir (a curmudgeon in the same vein as Neil) that so impressed me. Never before had I confronted an opposing fan that was more familiar with the intricacies of Nebraska football than I. I remember thinking "how can this be?" My role of educating the masses on the vagaries of the option and it's benefits was stolen from me. It was like the pupil first discovering just how little he knew. I was a kid again pulling up my pillow to sit on in front of the fireplace while Grandpa told his stories that I drank like a man dying of thirst. The education he provided me for free was invaluable as a football fan. For that I am greatful.

When NU's "Uncle" Milt Tenopir retired PhxHorn was the first thought that sprang to mind. Neil and "Uncle" Milt could very well have been the same person for all I know. They both appeared equally as knowledgable and passionate about the details of football. That's it...Neil had a passion for football details that went far and above the normal fan. Sure, we all have a closet full of UT or NU clothes and probably a room devoted to the program but we all simply think we know as much as the coaches because we watch each game a couple of times. PhxHorn (Neil) may have come closer than any of us to actually knowing more than the coaching staff. That is how he differed from the rest of us and why he achieved such a following. That and his passages were funny as hell to boot. I consider it a great skill to be a teacher and make education fun. PhxHorn was a teacher of the vagaries of football and made us all better and more knowledgable fans because of it.

Neil, I'm sorry I never got the chance to make a trip to Austin and enjoy a glass of wine with you. Though I'm certianly not a UT fan I've gained many of valuable Longhorn fans thanks to your enthralling posts. I now understand how important it is to truly educate oneself on the opponents of my team simply to have a greater grasp of the program I love.

You will be missed.

Shane- Thanks for giving us this opportunity to explain how your father touched our lives.

30. LonghornScott

LonghornScott 25+ Posts

Neil has been in the back of my mind for the past few days. I only met him on a handful of occasions... perhaps one of the greatest fruits of my early practice reports. The last time I saw him we spoke for a while and then he swooped away in a flash of overcoat and smoke.

Like many others, PhxHorn was one of the reasons I started posting on Longhorn Internet Boards. Along with ScipioTex, SL Express, Texas Football, and Horndfl. In them I saw minds I could learn from through dialog and minds that I came to respect. The first time I met Neil, I became envious of you, Shane... that you could have such a wonderful mind available to you as a father. Talking to the two of you together was really a treat. Shane the picture of excitability and enthusiasm... Neil the reserved spectator who was a victim of his own love for Longhorn.

Neil instantly commanded my respect. If you spouted out ********, he'd tell you so and even remind you why it stunk. If you raised an interesting point he'd delve further and take you to the roots, make you see the principle. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that Neil was a man who came to live by principles... and if so, he has my utmost admiration.

I often think about the person that I am, and the person I want to become. I would be lying if I said that there wasn't some references to Neil's balance of analysis and humanity in there. I think there are still some things I may learn from him. Neil was special, and I feel fortunate to have encountered him.

Adios, PhxHorn. Goodbye, Neil.