My Minimum Expectation for the Texas Head Coach

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Nov 2, 2020.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

I believe the minimum standard for the Texas football coach is this:

1) Play in the B12 Championship game 4 out of 5 years (1st or 2nd seed - It doesn't matter).
    2) Win 50% of B12 Championship games.

The result of this two goals will have National Championship implications. However, you have to win the conference championship first!

Ironically, due to the round-robin schedule, you can lose to OU every year and still reach this minimum standard. However, an occasional win over OU makes life much more enjoyable (for the coach, and the fans)!

Not meeting this minimum standard alone is grounds for termination.

Thoughts?

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

No Texas coach should keep his job if he only occasionally beats OU. But, I hear what you're saying otherwise.

He should also embrace the fans, not alienate a lot of them through comments spoken through a Mensa lens and not a common sense lens.

He should also have a basis of knowledge in game management that doesn't require the use of a manual or binder to tell him what to do. Again, very Mensa like. Book knowledge means nothing here.

I'm sure there are some other things.

• Like Like x 3
  3. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

@KBBAKER
    Has any HC at Texas over history met your minimum standards to keep his job?

Sounds like a lot of HC turnover after 3-4 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

DKR won 6 conference championships in a row and owned BlowU and aggy for most of that time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Nope. DKR came the closest with 3 NCs and 8 or 9 straight over OU.

I fear that UT with its radical student and faculty base is on the road to becoming more like Cal-Berkeley than Alabama - good academics, but not all that relevant athletically.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Losing to OU is never acceptable, especially losing to them 8 out of 10 years. Losing to OU should be an anomaly and not a standard.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

:bow: WINNER! :bow:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Exactly!! And we've been irrelevant for about 10 seasons and the last few under Strong and Herman have yielded only 1 season with results that were descent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I agree Clean...
    But you think Cal-Berkekey has good academics?
    Most of these very immature kids come out knowing enough to have a job in tech or sciences but cant tell what up or down is otherwise. Most 8th graders from days gone by were better educated in any real meaningful manner of true education.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

A couple things....

The winning 4 of 5 CC sounds real good but has almost never happened in history short of a few examples above and isnt realistic today for any coach we can get here and support short of about 3 out there. I'll settle for 2.5/5.

On ou....I hate to tell you all but things are looking upward not downward up there for the foreseeable future.

Only a major shift around Austin will put us in a position to match or better what they are likely going to be doing the next 4-5 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  11. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Paging @SabreHorn

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I supported Mack, and he had a good run with a NC and a NCG loss, then the 2010 season was a disaster posting a 5-7 record. He followed that up with two 8-5 and one 9-4 seasons and he retired. After Strong's 3 disaster seasons and Herman's one good, 2 substandard seasons, and who knows how this season will end. If a change is made, it has to be a great one. No more BS'ing around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. horninchicago

As I posted somewhere else a few weeks ago, it is a matter of whether Texas is at the point where it is had been mired in overall mediocrity until the next Mack Brown comes along. Took 3 coaches and 21 seasons for that to happen after DKR. Anyone else want to keep dicking around with Herman and his ilk for another 12 seasons or so? Not me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

In other words, be like Oklahoma.

15. horninchicago

Yes, except don't crap the bed when you get to the National scene and embarrass yourself.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I’ve tried to have meet-able yet reasonable expectations of this program with competent coaching in place, the last of that sentence being key. Based upon resources and tradition and a number of other things a well-run Texas program should be in the mix every year for the Big 12 championship and in the conversation nationally. That’s reasonable at Texas. It isn’t at a lot of the schools in the Big 12 but it is here.

We aren’t going to go 14-0 & plow through the college football world every year. That’s just not realistic. We aren’t going to win the Big 12 every single year because that’s also not reasonable. Our position though is that in most years we should be contenders, & we aren’t. That isn’t reasonable.

A competitive program that’s a threat to win the Big 12 most years & have a chance to play for a bigger prize. I think that’s realistic at Texas. We know that’s realistic at Texas.
    It starts with competitive championship caliber coaching & the players to put it all together. There’s no excuse for us to be where we are right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

No. No more “rising stars”. Two is enough. Get Urban or go home!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. horninchicago

Exactly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Not me! This year was an opportunity to wipe the floor with OU, but managed to lose, TCU should have been massacred by the Horns but managed to lose that too. OSU had 500+ yards to our around 270 yards but they killed themselves with turnovers the the Horns managed to capitalize on. The Horns get WVU and ISU at home, but go on the road for games with both of the Kansas schools. Could be 2-2 or a 3-1 split. I don't see running the table as a high probability, but that opportunity is on the table. Given Hermans production the past 3 seasons I lean toward a 6-4 maybe a 7-3 finish. That's sort of inline with his 7-6, 10-4, and 8-5 finishes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. horninchicago

Yep. Texas was supposed to run the table. Now, people around here are all giddy that they beat Mullet State. Pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I'm with you on that. I watched some OSU games and compared to how they performed this past Saturday, I was surprised. Very sloppy play by them, and yet they still took us to OT. I know a win is a win, but that doesn't mean we run the table, contrary to what most folks believe around here. It might happen, but the probability is rather low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Any discussion using DKR in the 50's and 60's is just a nonstarter, totally different era for scholarships, segregation etc.

My minimum expectations really come from Mack Brown and are that Texas be relevant every year, relevant in Big XII, relevant nationally and in discussion at least every couple of years for NC/playoffs. Mack won 10 or more games 9 straight seasons and won 9 or more games 12 straight seasons and 13 of his 16. He won 8 or more 15 of his 16 years. Texas was in conference title game four times and won it twice which is one real knock on Mack but current coaches can make the title game even with OU in the game something that was never available to Mack so the expectation should be higher on current coaches. Mack played for two national titles and if the playoff had been around he would have been in the playoff four times. He had five top five finishes. More than anything Mack won the games he should dominating aggy, Tech, Baylor, Nebraska etc.

Using Mack as my standard:

Musts:
    Win at least 8 games every year
    Be in conference title game three out of every five years and win conference at least once every four years
    No more than one WTF loss every four years (see TCU this year and last year, Maryland the two years before etc.)

Should:
    Win at least nine games every year
    Beat OU at least every other year on average (Mack was 7-9 against OU which is just below this but still in acceptable/should)
    Be in New Years Six bowl at least once every three years
    Be in playoff at least once every five years and realistically have shot at NC

Anything more than the above is gravy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sounds reasonable FW.

24. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Not even DKR could match up to your minimum Texas HC criteria:
    - 12-7-1 vs OU in 20 season but was 0-5-1 in his last 6 years.
    - Won 11 of 20 SWC conference titles including 4 ties but played only 6-7 conference games and no conference championship games in 20 years.
    - Rival OU was Big 8 non conference game.
    - Had 5 ties before OT rule change
    - 8-7-1 in Bowl games post season if you sub for CCG.

DKR set the gold standard for Texas Football but would have not met your standards over his 20 year tenure.

12 game regular season with 9 conf games, B12 vs SWC, CCG game, Bowl game/BCS/CFP is a rougher road for the current era than 45 years ago.

25. horninchicago

Man, he sucked...

• Funny Funny x 3
  26. horninchicago

Yeah, we should regress in our expectations. That's how people improve.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good post FW.

28. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Well, they're the best the Big 12 has to offer. If Texas (and their fans) don't like it, then, well, actually BEAT OU and WIN the CCG.....or....shut up and sit down. OU is mad about losing in the CFPs but at least they're there.... Texas has lost to OU a lot in the last couple of decades. At some point, shouldn't there be just a tiny bit of respect for the team that hands it to you on an annual basis?

29. horninchicago

I have said on this forum for several years we are OU's whipping post. I'm not disagreeing with you. We are talking about what want in a TEXAS coach. I, for one, don't want to get to big Bowl games and get destroyed on a regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

but the better the bowl game the more eyes the more money the more more more. All the respect HIC....

• Like Like x 1