My take on recruiting and team results

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by aUTfan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

My analysis just happens to coincide with a very big loss at the feet of UCLA.
    Something I noticed last year but chalked it up to the football staff knowing vastly more than me...which still holds true just means they are missing this in my humble opinion.
    My observation doesn't begin here but for the sake of my analysis begins with a playoff game i watched in person last year that a VERY highly touted recruit was playing in. I won't name the individual but needless to say I was very unimpressed. This individual is buried on the UT depth chart right now by the way.

Fast forward to this weekend I went to another game where we have a highly touted recruit on a good team playing another very good team. I see the guy play the whole game and I keep waiting for him to step up and lead his team or to take over (his team is behind), he is bigger than any kid on the other team and other than a few unblocked plays color me unimpressed again. I kept thinking the guy might be sick or something in fact I'm going to ask a parent of one of the kids just to be sure, I mean it was that unimpressive. This kid seemed winded, no pursuit, blocked by one guy just by standing in front of him, not even pushing on the guy! This guys is also going to get buried on the depth chart and if not we are in some serious trouble.
    I know this is only two examples and most folks will point out the Colt McCoy diamond in the rough but i figure we are missing more than we are hitting, i never saw some of them playing in high school but look at the struggles M. Williams has, Chiles never lived up, Mathews, O-lineman, running backs like Whaley, C. Johnson.
    I mean dang, does any one else notice this?

Oh, and if anyone thinks M. Brown is going to save our running game think again. I hope he does but A. Green was by far the better back the night those two played and no one can run when no one blocks see Barry Sanders career for proof...ok maybe that wasn't a good example but Barry was an alien on loan.

2. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

anyone know if Brown is planning on taking all his officials?

3. bevaux

bevaux 250+ Posts

"Oh, and if anyone thinks M. Brown is going to save our running game think again. I hope he does but A. Green was by far the better back the night those two played and no one can run when no one blocks see Barry Sanders career for proof...ok maybe that wasn't a good example but Barry was an alien on loan. "

Ok, I'll think again. this is one of the most ill-informed posts I have read. If you think Green is better than Brown, we can't help you. And, Green was not better the night they played. His team was better. Brown is running behind a totally new o-line this year and has 1012 yards on 99 carries. Perhaps you need to go out and actually watch Brown a few weeks in person and not base you evaluation on one tv game.

As for recruiting great players? Did you happen to watch the NFL today? More Longhorns were stars than any other school you could name.

In answer to the other posters question, Brown has taken official visits and committed to us. Unless something crazy happens he will sign in February.

4. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

I'm going to guess Cedric Reed?

5. 93ex

93ex 100+ Posts

6. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

aUTfan = chicken little.
    I'll continue to trust those who are paid (and paid well, might I add) by the powers-that-be at Belmont. After all, they didn't get where they are by picking losers.

7. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

If history holds true, we should win one (or more) of our next two games. We have talent on this team, we didn't show it against UCLA, but it is there. I get just as frustraited as the next person when I see a game like Saturday's, but this kind of game happens to everyone every now and again. I doubt one bad game, or one bad season affects our recruiting very much.

8. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

9. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

I just remember after the Big XII championship game in 2001 where the t-shirt fans were booing Chris Simms out of the stadium and I was wondering what the negative impact would be on recruiting.

The next day we get a commit from some guy from Houston named Vincent Young.

10. geode

geode 100+ Posts

A TROLL with 250+ posts [​IMG]

11. horns58

horns58 100+ Posts

I am no t-shirt fan, and I was booing Chris Simms at the stadium that day. Well, I was more booing the coaches for not pulling him. He flat out sucked in that game.

12. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure if my take belongs on the recruiting board, but it is what it is.

Last Saturday wasn't about talent, and not totally about coaching, or lack of same.

It would be hard to beat the little sisters of the poor if you turn the ball over like it has a social disease. If you play the game like you were absent the day they taught football, you'll get run off of the field more often than not. It actually speaks to UT's talent level that last Saturday wasn't a repeat of route 66. UCLA's not as bad as they looked against Stanford and K-State, nor as good as they looked against us. The difference? They mostly held on to the ball and didn't play stupid.

Last Saturday gave me as much of a stomach ache as it did most UT fans, but those kinds of games are going to happen, especially when a lot of your team is too young to belly up to the bar,

This isn't to excuse last weekend's performance, but just to say I looked around today, and last time I checked, the sky's still in place.

I'm having a hard time this year getting stoked for zero-u, but I'm hoping we don't put on a repeat performance from last week. To believe otherwise would be to believe that we are as bad as we looked. I don't want to go there...yet.

13. 34blast

34blast 25+ Posts

I watch a ton of high school games. Some players you can see have the speed, instincts, and the frame to project well to college football. Others maybe great high school players, but maybe close to maxed out.

Last year I saw Mr. Jeffcoat many times. I initially figured he was only ranked high because of his Dad. Let me tell you, he was very deserving of his stars. Overall, its a mixed bag. I think its harder to tell with big guys. Most big guys haven't fully matured yet and it requires more projection and development.

More than not, Mack has a terrific class. My opinion is that last years class was one of his best. Time will tell, but Mack has proven a good recruiter of talent. Some develop while there, others don't.

14. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Lose a game and the sky is falling.

15. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Dudes....Sky is not falling. I said that this observation just happens to coincide with a loss to UCLA. I watched the second recruit Friday night and posted it as soon as possible and would have posted it with a win or a loss.
    We lose games we think we aren't supposed to just like everyone else. I wasn't generalizing that we completely suck because of one game or somehow these two recruits represent every player we get. It was only an observation on some misses and why we may play like that some times. Poor timing i guess. I'm no Mark Twain but some of you are poor readers.

Oh and i talked to a relative of the player and he was not sick but the coaches gave him an ear full over his play in this game, EVERYONE NOTICED his play so maybe it was an anomaly. Would like to go see him play this weekend to see if there is a different player but I'm going to different game. Oh well.

16. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Yes Sanders was a poor example. Dude had 3,575 and 48 tds for Okla State including his last year when he had over 2,600 yards. He had 15,269 yards rushing and 99 tds while with a not so good Detroit Lion team, honestly the way this guy cut and moved he did not need much blocking. Texas lost a game and played very poorly but it is not the end of world and Texas will continue to do well in recruiting, don't let one loss destroy everythng. Not all guys pan out, just because you are great in high school does not mean you will be great in college or in the pros. There are lots of reasons why guys don't pan out, injuries, they don't work hard enough, grades, etc. etc. It is hard to say something when you do not know the whole story. You cannot be right every time on someone. I am not going to 2nd guess Mack Brown on recruiting either.