My workout routine: Enough rest?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by DigglerontheHoof, Jun 5, 2008.

1. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

I'v started a new workout routine the last couple fo weeks and would like a little input as to whether or not I'm allowing enough recovery time. Here's a high level overview of my weekly schedule:

Walk dog 3.5 miles Tues-Sun first thing in the mornings

Tuesday: Boxing gym - tons of cardio, footwork, abs, shadow boxing, heavy bag, mitts and speedbag

Wed: Weights - 2-3 muscle groups/eliptical machine

Thurs: 40 minute kettlebell/ab workout

Fri: Weights - 2-3 muscle groups/eliptical machine

Sat: Boxing

Sun: kettlebells

Mon: Nothing

Should I be taking one more day off or lighten one up?

Gracias

2. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I would have the weight workout on Wednesday and Saturday and take Sunday and Thursday off. I think you need more than 1 day to recover from a weight workout.

Can you explain the kettleball workout? Looks interesting.

3. DigglerontheHoof

Thanks for the input, DC.

You can find info on kettlebell workouts here.

I concentrate on:

Turkish get ups
    Snatches/cleans/presses
    Figure 8s
    "swinging" the 53 and 70 lbers

It's definitely more of a cardio workout than a weight workout but I don't know how it effects recovery time from weights.

I like your suggestion about splitting up the weight days but due to my schedule I have to do one of my boxing days on Saturday. I might try to move the other boxing day to put time between weight workouts.

4. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

you didn't post how long you are using weights+eliptical. i am assuming you are lifting for 30-45 minutes and doing the eliptical for 20-40 minutes. If so, that seems like a solid workout plan. i don't see anything wrong with it as long as you are getting enough sleep at night (8 hours +). athletes need more rest.

how old are you? that of course makes a huge difference in determining the level of rest needed.

5. DigglerontheHoof

I was hoping you'd chime in, notreally.

You're estimate of weight/eliptical machine is pretty close...20 on machine and around 35-45 on weights.

I'm 42, so my recovery time is probably longer than yours....I believe I read where you said you were late 20s/early 30s.

6. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

don't get me wrong, that is a pretty full workout for a week. but as long as you are getting the sleep you need and eating right, i certainly wouldn't consider it overtraining. the thing about overtraining is there is no universal standard because we are all so different. the usual signs though are:

1. Fatigue
    2. Loss of strength
    3. Loss of muscle mass

at 42 you are on the downside of your physical potential, but i know plenty of guys working this hard or harder that are well into their 50's. just listen to your body.

7. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

You need to breakup Wed-Thurs-Fri...

That is too much weight work in a row IMO. Put your day off in between those workouts.

8. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

kettlebell workouts seem to be 90% momentum and 10% muscle.

i see idiots at the gym doing these bad form exercises w/ dumbells all the time.

9. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts