Nat Gas Processing Question

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Rex Kramer, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

What does the term "GPM" mean? When a pipeline operator / gas processing plant operator is talking about GPM, is it in terms of gallons of NGL per thousand cubic feet of gas? I think this is the case, but am not sure.

Further (assuming the above is accurate), wouldn't a plant operator want a lower GPM, given it's going to require less processing to get it pipeline-ready for the large interstates? Or, is it more advantageous from an economic perspective to have nat gas with a higher GPM?

2. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Wrong board but ....

GPM usually means gallons per minute. Most folks talk about natural gas in terms of SCF (standard cubic feet) or "scuffs". Its more useful to speak about a standard volume measure (at a fixed pressure and temperature) rather than actual conditions because the volume will change drastically.

3. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

If there is a new business board, which has been a need since inception, please point me in that direction. Oilfield gas units are measured in "mcf." "Scf" is never used. Mcf or British thermal units are used.

4. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

And I'm sure you know, but "mcf" = thousand cubic feet.

5. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

never heard of a MCF? Maybe you mean a M SCF which would be thousand of scfs. I am use to seeing MM SCF which is millions of scfs. The point is the root unit is SCF.

6. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

No, I mean "mcf." The "s" is implied. I've worked around the oilfield my entire career. Never heard "scf."

7. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

That's funny. I am in the oil industry and I never heard the term MCF. Do a google search for both and see which one yields more hits.

Including the "S" differentiates between flow rate at standard versus actual conditions. If the flow is at actual conditions then ACFH would be used which is common for compressor curves.

Oh well. Different strokes.

The Link

8. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Weird. I'm really not trying to argue with you...I honestly have never heard the term mscf in 12 years of doing what I do. The industry is huge; what area do you work in?

9. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I work for one of the large oil companies. Actually posting from half way across the globe at a large upstream facility but it has crude stabilization and gas processing facilities.

10. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Are you an operations engineer? I work with reservoir engineers, geologist, landmen, bankers, etc. - really guys on the periphery (i.e. they are not actually in the field on a frac job like an operations guy would be) - and that may explain the discrepancy here.

11. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Process engineer who does mostly Operations support. I work with Reservoir engineers also but not nearly as much. They definitely speak a different language.

12. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

As a former chemical engineering/mol bio student at UT, I would guess that a chemical engineer would use the proper term mscf because of the importance of flow rates in ChemE design (flow rates are different under non-standard conditions). In the field, the shortened, layman's term would be used. On the business side, they would follow what is spoken out in the field. Just a guess based on other industries and schooling, though.

13. freyguy

freyguy 250+ Posts

ahh ChE, those were the days....