NCAA Brackets

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Giovanni Jones, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

It’s just as well. Not enough time for aggy to assemble a bonfire for the Texas-TAMU game. (Unless it was a teeny-weeny one.)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Giovanni Jones

Astonishingly good shot.

Makes me think of the basketball game in “The Absent-Minded Professor.” (1961)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Based on this photo, I do believe Rodney Terry could get a job with the Rockettes should he not be retained after this season.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

That was a great night on the Drag! :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sangre Naranjada

I remember that night reasonably well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Let's Roll.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The more I think about this I am tending to agree. Kansas' best win was Duke and they lost to Tennessee, K-State, TCU, and ISU. Texas' best wins were Arkansas and Gonzaga with losses to Tennessee and the same conference foes plus Tceh. At the end of the season Texas beat Kanas by 16 and 20 in a 7-day period (with the 20-point win basically on a Kansas Home Court).

Something, other than being a defending Champion and an ESPN darling, should have been taken into consideration. Also how any team that could lose to the worst team in the Big XII by 20 at home could ever be the overall 1 seed? (Seems that was a gift to CBS and the $EC.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Giovanni Jones

NCAA Selection Committee is about as impartial and unbiased as the people voting for the Oscars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Giovanni Jones

And my uninformed $0.02: you shoudn’t be eligible for a No. 1 seed unless you win your [bleeping] tournament*.

*or, failing that, you don't lose it by 15 or more points

What a farcical sham.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  12. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

It seems clear that the selection committee wanted Horns v. aggy (or at least the potential) in the second round and was going to set it up regardless of where the teams should have been seeded. Texas was never going to get a #1 seed when it lost 3 of 4 late and didn’t win the regular season. I suspect the committee was hoping the Horns would stumble in the conference tourney so they could drop them to the three line and put aggy at a 6 (probably thought aggy would lose to Kentucky but wildcats didn’t get that far. So Horns win the conference tournament staying at 2 so aggy had to be placed at a 7. Sorry, but aggy is way underseeded based on where they finished in the $ec. Second regular season and conference tourney runner-up. That conference got 8 of 14 teams in and the second place team is a 7? aggy probably should be a 5 certainly no lower than a 6. Aggy gets screwed on seeding and we get a potential tougher road to the sweet 16 if we have to face a jihadist fervor in the second round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Giovanni Jones

A very valid point, I will admit. And I suppose the Horns blowing out KU to win the conference tournament helped to ensure that they would have a #2 seed rather than a #3 or #4.

It just kind of galls me that a team of the likes of KU or UH could (theoretically, of course!) just go through the motions and mail it in at the conference tournament championship game and still get their (preordained) #1 seed.

14. Sangre Naranjada

Good seeding analysis, Boss.

15. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It's become apparent over the last 20 years that the only purposes of a conference tournament are to:
    a. sell tickets
    b. potentially get a sleeper in the tournament to share the $$$

And that's the end of the list. No one takes conference tournament games into seeding possibilities. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten the 1-seed in 2003 either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Morris' vertical leap is world class; while also slamming accurately at full speed. This is the beauty of basketball.
    click and enlarge the photo and check out the faces of Disu, the Texas bench and the KU player. Priceless.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes, I see your point. Big 12 has 70% of it's teams in. Which is higher than any other conference.
    But I'm having a hard time believing that OSU is not better than The Big's 8th team which was Penn State I think. P state was the 10th seed in their tournament but played in their final against Purdue and lost by 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

A 2 is solid for sure. We were never a 4. Pegged as a 2 for the last several weeks as long as we didn't go out in early in the conference tourney. We were top 10 for 17 weeks this year. 2 is no big surprise. And we would have been a stretch for a 1. But dang we left no doubt on Kansas.

• Like Like x 2
  19. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

20. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

The fact that this play wasn't even in the espn top 10 that night is beyond absurd

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Except no love from ESPN and CBS until the $EC decides Texas and Oklahoma prove they are "$EC worthy". It is going to be a long 3 or 4 years, and you just thought the Big XII refs have been screwing Texas.

• Hot Hot x 1
  22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

In general the higher the seed the less conference tourney matters because they've won so many regular season games, one loss doesn't matter.

On the flip side, the lower the seed the more you can improve your seed with a good conference tourney result, but the loss will not hurt you...unless you're aggy of course. They got screwed. :thumbup::thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Vol
    You posted, "unless you're aggy of course. They got screwed."
    But forgot the :lmao: or :thumbup: or:clap:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Good catch!!! Fixed it. :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Giovanni Jones

I’m so grateful for the diligent hallway monitors in this forum. I thank you for your service. :yes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. Giovanni Jones

I see where Texas Southern U is already out.

TAMU-Corpus Christi (the Islanders) will play their second game later today, against Bama.

• Hot Hot x 1
  27. Sangre Naranjada

Furman is about to eliminate UVa.

28. Sangre Naranjada

First upset of the day.

29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Down goes the #4 seed

30. Giovanni Jones