NCAA Transfer Season - 2017

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 28, 2017.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Conference foe WVU takes a hit as sophomore guard Alexis Brewer transfers - Led West Virginia and ranked second in the Big 12 with a 42.2 three-point field goal percentage (35-of-83).

2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Wow! That's a big loss for WVU. Puzzling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

OU loses G Chelsea Dundee.

5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That hurts OU.. I was expecting her to step in and fill the gaps left by Little and Carter

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Was really hoping we'd get her, but have no idea if our coaches pursued:

7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Just as I suspected.

8. LutherIsMyDog

Although this tidbit doesn't relate to Texas it's worth keeping an eye on because it's Big 12-Baylor related.

9. LutherIsMyDog

Texas Tech gets a PG transfer from AZ State.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Strike one for Baylor!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Is Mulkey losing her charm?? God I hope so!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'd like to think so, but Mulkey always seems to land on her feet. She'll probably find a couple of transfer players who miraculously get waivers and can play immediately in 2017, or an international player or two. The opposite end of the extreme would be that she adds absolutely no one to the projected 2017 roster, and that provides Baylor pretty much no front court depth.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

OU loses another one:

• Like Like x 3
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

WTH is going on?! :idk:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Wow! Now this is a huge surprise! She was pretty soft around the basket but she could change a shot! That leaves OU pretty thin at the post!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

It was also funny to see her start the game for the sole purpose of winning the tip, then taking a seat.

Since OU has beaten us once in each of the past four seasons, the turnover in each team's roster favors Texas. But these days, a better win/loss record is nothing more than window dressing. Texas is poised to start winning championships; something that we have not accomplished in far too long.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  17. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

I'm surprised by this as well. I wonder if she transfers to Rice. She is from the Houston area and was really good friends with the Ogwumike's younger sisters who both transferred to Rice from Pepperdine.

• Like Like x 3
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I didn't think of this possibility.

19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The departures of Mulkey and Dungee zeroes out OU's 2016 class. On top of that, their 2017 class is composed of 2 G and a 6'1" F. They're going to be lacking size for a while.

20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Her finalists were OU (sucks), UT and Baylor. Big 12 Transfer rules would wreck what eligibilty she has left so @breckenj05 's idea seems logical.

• Like Like x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Was wondering if A&M might be in the picture...Being in the SEC kind of gives them an advantage for players from Texas who want to transfer out of the Big 12 to another power conference.

22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thought about that but with Ciera Johnson just transferring to aggy, I thought it would take some shine off that opportunity. Hope Nancy lands in a good spot for her - never read a single negative word about her, seems like a quality young individual (excluding the Sooner commitment).

• Like Like x 1
  23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I don't know much about Ms. Mulkey other than what I saw on the court. Her height caused a few alteration of shots, but she didn't have the muscle to contest (think banging against Neeka - heh) under the hoop. Sure, she was a freshman and needed more training time, but I didn't think she would be much of a factor in the next 3 years of playing against her. My daughter liked her because she watched episodes of that show "My Giant Life" where she was one of the featured tall women.

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Pretty much the same thoughts I had. She and the younger Ogwumike sisters would be really nice pick ups for Rice.

25. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I'm shocked too. Coale's players usually seem to like playing for her. Though very thin, I think Mulkey has a lot of potential for somebody. Those super tall players have some real advantages. This transfer thing is just getting too bizarre. On one hand, it's anybody's right to make a change and they just get one go-around. But on the other hand, it seems like people don't have the sense of loyalty, the team spirit, or the patience to let things unfold anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was never certain whether we or Baylor offered Nancy Mulkey. I think she committed to OU after an unofficial visit.

Regardless, if she wants to remain local, her best bets are probably Rice, Houston, SMU, Arkansas, or LSU.

I could see Chelsea Dungee maybe transferring to A&M, Arkansas, or Mizzou.

Not sure what is going on at OU. We'll see if that has an effect on Tatum Veitenheimer's verbal commitment.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My exact thoughts.

#GreatMinds

28. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I don't understand all the transfers going on in the Womens game. I've never seen so many players leaving programs. I wonder if all the transfers have something in common...

• Like Like x 2
  29. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

It's crazy. Very unsettling. Here's an interesting item from the OU fan board with quotes of what Sherri Coale told an Oklahoma newspaper:

The program announced that Dungee had been released and could therefore transfer only last Tuesday. On Monday, the announcement came on Mulkey. It arrived via release, and was short, sweet and to the point.

“Oklahoma freshman center Nancy Mulkey has been granted a release and will seek to transfer following the conclusion of the spring semester, head coach Sherri Coale announced Monday,” it read.

What’s happening to OU is not remotely unique.

Transfer rate for women’s college basketball
    6.8 percent 2007
    9.2 percent 2015
    9.8 percent 2017

The Sooners have lost two players. So has Kansas State. So has Texas Tech. Three players will not be returning to Baylor and four will not be returning to West Virginia and that’s just the Big 12 Conference.

C. Vivian Stringer, a pioneer and still very successful coach at Rutgers, has lost four players this off-season. Ohio State has lost three. Maryland has lost three, Notre Dame has lost two, Florida State has lost two, as has Nebraska, including 2015-16 Big 10 Freshman of the Year Jessica Shepard.

Speaking to The Norman Transcript Monday, Coale did not want to talk about Dungee and Mulkey’s impending departures specifically, though she was willing to speak about the issue generally.

“These kids start so early with such intensity and everything is geared toward being recruited and getting an opportunity and then, when they get there, they have no idea what’s required,” she said.

A hot topic when coaches run into coaches, Coale said “it’s all anybody’s talking about on the recruiting trail.”

It was not so long ago that players would transfer for opportunity. Wherever they were, if potential playing time appeared scarce, they might exit in the name of more of it.

Now, Coale intimated, the prevailing thought among the coaching community is that too many players are taking an approach resembling a trip through a smorgasbord. A player might decide she likes this particular element of the program’s off-season regiment, yet not this one. And so on, and so on.

30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Read this earlier today. Without knowing both sides, coaches could be responsible for some of this - saying whatever the recruit wants to hear so they get the signature on the LOI. Then...reality when they get on campus.

• Like Like x 2