Need quick help roasting a tenderloin

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by jt09, Dec 25, 2007.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

We've always grilled our tenderloins (beef) but the grill at mom's is kaput, so we need to roast it. Mom threw away the packaging last night w/o thinking and now we don't know the weight. We have a meat thermometer. The tenderloin is 10" long easy and about as 10" in circumference (I don't know....bigger around than a coke can, not as big around as a large can of tomatoes).

Looking around on the foodnetwork and saw that we need to preheat to 500, roast fr 10 min at 500, then 350 for 30 min w/ a 2-2.5 lb cut. This is way bigger than 2.5lbs.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

2. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I guess you don't have a scale. I'm not sure it would matter -- just roast until the center of the thick part is a bit on the rare side for where you want to end up and let it sit for 5-10 minutes after pulling from the oven. I usually aim for 125 F - 130 F in the thick part, and it turns out maybe just south of medium rare at the thickest and medium at the thinnest.

3. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Thanks jazz - found that info after a bit more poking around. Turned out very well, and w our family Sauce Bernaise recipe, made a great main course for Christmas dinner.