new 3g iphone announced

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by scottsins, Jun 9, 2008.

1. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

The Link

live blog updating with conference address by jobs.

looks like $299 for the 16g model and an availability date of July 11.

2. PROVE EM' WRONG

PROVE EM' WRONG 25+ Posts

Besides 3G and GPS there really isn't much new it seems. Those features should have been included in the first version.

3. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

looks like the June update will update Microsoft Exchange as well, so they should look pretty much the same...

4. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

they should not have been, since the 3g chip set would have made battery life completely unacceptable.

the iphone is the best handheld out there, and it just got way better.

i was responding to PROVE 'Em WRONG's post, by the way.

5. PROVE EM' WRONG

PROVE EM' WRONG 25+ Posts

i agree its a good phone, but to call it the best without 3g is a stretch especially for a phone that initially cost $500.

Just curious does this have MMS? Flash? better camera?

6. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

Love my iphone but I think I'll keep my old version for awhile still. But what a great price point for new owners to jump in. Although I really do with they add MMS already.

7. Bob Wills

Bob Wills 500+ Posts

Exchange ActiveSync support is huge and the Cisco VPN client is big plus for many. Although I would rather have this phone on the Verizon network, it looks great to me.

8. Horn9497

Horn9497 100+ Posts

I don't know phone technology well but what is the advantage of MMS? I have a blackberry with SMS and MMS and I never use MMS.

9. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

Got my 4gig last September. For 199 I will probably get the 8 gig 3G. It's the best phone I've ever had.

10. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I am all over the 8GB model for $199 -- my daughter gets my first gen iPhone as a hand-me-down.

By 2010 RIM will be chasing the iPhone for market share.

12. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

13. origino

origino 250+ Posts

It will be mine...oh yes...it will be mine.

14. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

MilkmaDan nailed it.

It's not about the battery technology, but the chipset changes that have allowed Apple to design a 3G phone with all the other capabilities (iPod) that will have long battery life.

I had another 3G phone (before my current iPhone) and it's battery life SUCKED!!! I didn't even use it for music.

15. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

16. BNB

BNB 250+ Posts

I'm let down. It is a nice price, but I can't believe they didn't make the camera better. Also it sucks it doesn't have a microSD slot if they aren't going to upgrade the space.

I might go for the Samsung Omnia if the price is comparable.

17. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

3G is a huge upgrade, but I'm going to hang onto my first-gen for a bit. I too wish they'd upgraded the camera.

Still a few software updates they need to make, but I'm sure they'll do it eventually. I'm really anxious for the third-party apps to start coming out.

18. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

I might upgrade for $200...the download speeds are pretty sick.

19. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

Are the new version and old version the same internet speed when using WiFi?

What I'm excited about the most is all the programming companies are doing. Everyone seems to be making websites specifically for iPhone which are great

20. MidTexHorn

MidTexHorn 100+ Posts

Our firm uses RIM Blackberries and my IT guy tells me he'd have to buy a new server for me to get email pushed through real time to an IPhone. Is this true? Will the new IPhone be any better on this issue than the old one?

21. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

the new iphone 2.0 software receives push email via exchange server.

22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Apple has licensed ActiveSync for Exchange integration -- push email, calendar and contacts. Remote wipe is supported as well to meet the security needs if a device goes missing.

With 3G, GPS and Exchange support, and the very aggressive pricing, Apple is coming hard at market share, both consumer and business. And with the App Store I think there will be a rich application ecosystem coming up around the iPhone. This is not just a phone anymore, it's a platform.

23. HornsHornsHorns

HornsHornsHorns 500+ Posts

The data plan is going up 50% from $20 to $30 a month. And that would be the reason the phone is as cheap as it is.

24. fluff

fluff 25+ Posts

The App Store is going to make this phone incredible!! With GPS, it is going to be THE all in one device!! Tom Tom has announced they will be creating a navigation app, I am thinking that stuff like the Sky Caddie for golf will be a no brainer....You will have everything you need in one device that fits nicely in your pocket....And yes, it will be nice to sit on the crapper and play some pretty sweet games...

25. Bob Wills

Bob Wills 500+ Posts

26. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I'm so ready to buy of these that I can't see strait but have a few questions. I have Gmail and Yahoo Mail and want to know how well Yahoo Mail performs with the iPhone? Does one work better than the other? Does the phone sync well with Gmail Calendar and Contacts or is it best to use Outlook?

Most importantly, can I read Hornfans on the iPhone?

27. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

28. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

I almost listed mine on ebay today, but decided to hold off and wait to see what if any problems emerge with the 2nd gen phone. I guess that my primary concern is the battery life. Personally, I think Id rather have the longer battery life than the 3G. Ebay listing were still closing pretty high last night. Gotta think that there are a bunch of people who don't want to get tied down to ATT and are willing to spend a little more.

29. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

30. HornGal01

HornGal01 100+ Posts