new 3g iphone announced

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by scottsins, Jun 9, 2008.

1. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

WiFi should be faster than 3G in practice, regardless of the information coming out about data transmission.

As an iPhone 1.0 user, 3G is not reason enough for me to upgrade. The GPS would be fun, but without voiceassist, I question its value as anything other than a battery drain. The 16GB storage would be great. All of this to say, if I wasn't already an iPhone user I would prefer the newer phone, but the advancement between series isn't enough to make me want to pay to replace what I have. The real advancement is in the software, which iPhone 1.0 will be getting as well.

2. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

Thanks. I don't know what those test results mean, but in actual practice, there doesn't seem to be a 5x difference between wireless and edge. Maybe there is and it's not that noticeable to me, but I can't see how a 3G speed somewhere between edge and wi-fi will be revolutionary.

3. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Anyone heard how the new iPhone is selling? I've heard a lot about the release but nothing about how they are selling.

4. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

It goes on sale July 11th.

also, 3g is about 2 to 3 times faster than edge.

5. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

6. txtxyeha

txtxyeha 250+ Posts

First time purchase for me. Assuming I can waltz into an Apple or AT&T store at 10 a.m. in a couple of Fridays and just plunk down my credit card, or is there going to be an availability issue. Don't remember if the 1st gen had availability issues (e.g., Nintendo Wii).

7. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

If you don't notice a huge difference between wifi and edge speeds you must not use safari much.. The 3g version is probably not worth buying if this is the case.

I imagine this phone will be harder to get than the first, its much cheaper and evidently there will be no way to purchase it online. I waited 8 hours in line for the first one, and I expect longer lines for this release. Get to an apple store an hour before 6pm and you'll likely be able to buy one, just be prepared to wait for a couple of hours.

8. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

I was set to buy the new I-phone but after speaking to a AT&T wireless sales rep not going to do it. The plans are going up and not just $10. They're setting up the plans like the other PDA plans. So $30 or $45 for business users. According to the sales rep i spoke with 30/45 does NOT include text messaging. That'll be another add on. I'm cheap, $30 plus a text messaging plan to have a newer version? I'll stick to my first gen phone. link I hate being nickel and dimed for everything. Just charge me one amount that includes everything.

9. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I think a lot of people are going to be pissed about the hidden cost of adding text messages.

10. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

FYI. I sold my 8GB iphone on ebay, restored to factory settings, for $305. I don't give a **** about an extra $10 a month, I'm upgrading to the 16GB 3G phone on launch day. Stuck with some POS nokia until then. That sucks.

11. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

12. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

13. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

14. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

is this phone going to have flash enabled on it?

so far i dont think its worth buying if you already have one

15. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

flash is a software component, not hardware.

16. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

ok, sorry but i dont think that really answers the question does it?

17. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

My guess is there's a reason they've sandboxed YouTube and have yet to enable flash.

18. phyznik

phyznik < 25 Posts

Adobe made promises for Flash on the iPhone. After the SDK was announced Adobe mentioned difficulty and complications with their proposed roll-out of Flash on the iPhone; there remains faint hope that Flash will eventually make it's way to the iPhone platform.

Currentlly there is no Flash support, nor is any support promised for the near future. If Flash is the only thing holding you back from purchase...

... keep waiting. And don't hold your breath.

Aside - Apple continues to pursue alternate technologies that don't require plugins - a flash-killer? Maybe not. But it does provide some interesting prospects for the future of Javascript!

Sproutcore - Javascript on crack?

the iPhone as a web platform, R.I.P. Flash?

but all of that is still not a Flash plugin.

19. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

20. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts