New Computer

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Basil Your Face, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Basil Your Face

Basil Your Face 100+ Posts

I've had some HP computer since 2001. Never knew much about it--it has internet and Word, which fulfills all my needs. I didn't have any idea of what else I could possibly need in a computer. In fact, when I turned thirty in November and didn't want a present my wife took me up to Circuit City and told me to "buy stuff," mainly so she wouldn't feel guilty about my not getting anything. I got a TV and portable DVD player but thought the computers I looked at were not necessary as my 2001 model had everything I needed-internet and Word.

Anyway, my hard drive crapped out yesterday and I said f**k it and bought a new machine. I am more than impressed. I got a HP m7760n--not too expensive--and the farging thing has a TV and DVR on it. Who knew. I'm now (well, was) watching the Pro Bowl on TV. Plus, my old CP, which had all the memory I thought I needed, had 33 gigs. This bastard has 500. I can and will record full movies, lots of movies. If I can rig up a bathroom and fridge around here, my obligations in locomotion may be significantly curtailed.

Is there anything else out there to amaze me about computing for idiots? I can't imaging it gets better than the DVR/CP combo pack!

2. Basil Your Face

Oh yeah, it also has a friggin remote. I don't have to turn my head to see the TV behind me when I'm watching sports anymore. I just have to hit a button on the remote to bring the TV screen up. I had no idea! The integration of TV watching and internet surfing could be great for humanity--or disasterous--depending on your interpretation. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

did it include an HD tuner and is it a Vista maching? Because you can do HD, and Vista has a cool sports section integrated into their media center.

Something to also look at is does it have a tv-out? or better yet, do you have an HDTV? HDTVs make pretty good computer monitors and you can use the computer as your dvr.

4. Basil Your Face

I had been wondering when and if I could ook the CP into a TV. It runs Vista--I'll look to see if there is an obvious way to make my tele a monitor.

5. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

So are you going to return the TV and portable DVD player you got for your birthday?

6. PiGuy

PiGuy 250+ Posts

MCE kicks serious ***. I'm bought an HP MCE at Xmas that came with MCE 2005, but now I have to wait 6-8 weeks for the free upgrade.

There are a lot of plugins available for it tha t let you do some sweet stuff. Check out The Link

Also, check out The Link You download a program that runs of thef the computer, and then you can stream audio, video, photos, and even live TV from your MCE box to any other PC or mobile device thats connected to the internet. Seriously cool stuff.