New Pope

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NEWDOC2002, Mar 28, 2013.

1. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

2. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

He also spurned the Papal residence in favor of a two room apartment. Hopefully, its not for show.

3. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

4. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

None of them are Catholic, I don't understand your comment, please explain?

5. Bronco

Bronco 500+ Posts

Agreed. I am Catholic and the new Pope seems like a great choice. Most importantly, Benedict's background and beliefs etc are very well known and the Church, as a whole through the Cardinals, picked him. Says a lot about the direction the Church is heading.

6. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

8. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

I'm not sure whether Limbaugh or Bachman have ever said that Obama is a radical islamist, but they certainly have referred to him as being a Muslim many times, of supporting radical Islam, of wanting to impose Sharia in the United States, of wanting to control our thoughts in the same way Hitler did as spelled out in Mein Kampf etc...

Bachman is batshit crazy.

9. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

10. ProdigalHorn

Neither link calls Obama a radical Islamist, and neither refers to Rush.

Considering the first reaction by the administration to the Benghazi attack was to throw the guy who made the video in jail, I can see why people would think this administration leans toward Islam in free speech issues. And clearly the administration has done nothing about the persecution of Christians or the civil rights violations in those countries, whereas here anyone who is a conservative is treated as a threat to take us back to the days of slavery. And oddly enough, that's not hyperbole, because that was exactly what that radical right wing nutjob Mitt Romney was supposedly going to do.

And I'm still not sure why Bachman or Limbaugh would have a problem with the pope washing the feet of an Islamic prisoner. You sort of glossed over that part.

11. NightFlyer

NightFlyer 250+ Posts

What's to understand about R35? My problem with the new pope is his Jesuit ties. You know, the group behind the Inquisition and the eradication of the Protestants. Seems like a nice guy though. But nice don't get you into heaven,

12. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

13. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

14. ProdigalHorn

15. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

16. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Getting back to adult conversation -- I'm terriby impressed with the Pope and the Christ-like example he sets for us. I'm Methodist, not Catholic, but I admire holy examples of spiritual strength and acceptance of both the spirit and the letter of Christ's teachings.

17. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

There was a time on WM when people from all different points of view actually had intelligent discussions about politics, economics, and society. But then Roger35 started posting, and it's been a steaming hole of his race baiting idiocy ever since.

He wants to talk about hypocrisy in religion and conservatives...well I want to talk about liberal hypocrisy in abortion/capital punishment. But you know what, I'm not an id Roger35. And I realize that's thread hijacking is neither here nor there when talking about the Pope.

[​IMG]

18. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

/
    this.

Roger clearly misunderstands the symbolism of the washing of another's feet. It has nothing to do with the faith of the recipient, but rather, the idea of serving another person.

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I hope R35 is just trying to get people to respond to his posts.
    But even 35 must know the Pope was fulfilling the teachings of Christ by washing feet .

So this sentence by 35 is puzzling and I can't grasp what kind of response he/she thought would come from it
    R35:"I mean, he's supposed to uphold the teachings of Christ, not wash the feet of a muslim"

I am not Catholic but even I undersand that by that act the Pope was fulfilling Jesus' teaching in an amazing and meaningful way.

I think this pope will inspire many people during his papcy.

On a related note i saw millions and millions of Catholics gather in crowds around the world and not one riot or calling of death to anyone.
    it wa pretty revealing.

20. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

Not a catholic but I'm a huge fan so far. The guy walks the walk.

Question for the Catholics: why were the feet of women not usually washed before?

21. hornyhoosier

hornyhoosier 500+ Posts

22. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

He definitely is popular with Protestants like me. How are the more traditional Catholics liking him?

23. ProdigalHorn

The story reminds me a lot of Bishop Myriel in Les Miserables. When he took the post in Digne, he basically turned the bishop's mansion into a hospital, moved into a small one-bedroom house and diverted all but his basic living expenses into a fund to feed the local poor.

Not a catholic here and one of my biggest complaints has always been the massive hypocrisy surrounding the wealth of the papal state. It's good to see someone in that office who is bucking that trend.

24. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

PH -- nice point.

25. EasternHorn

EasternHorn 500+ Posts

Count me in as a non-catholic who is both impressed and intrigued by the new Pope.

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts