Next 5 games...What record would be acceptable?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by SAMMCHornfan, Dec 30, 2018.

1. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Could the Horns just be waiting for the start of conference play to show their stuff? Was the Vegas tourney just a tease? Who knows? Well, with that said, a 3-2 record after the first five games would be awesome. A 2-3 record would be acceptable considering the schedule. But 0-5, a total disaster and I would have to say the beginning of the end for the Coach Smart era at Texas. So, I am going to predict the Horns go 2-3 in these first five games and begin conference play as a middle of the pack team. Hopefully they can pull out a couple of victories against the likes of West Virginia and OSU. I can only hope. Get em motivated Shaka!!! Hook'em!

2. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

First 5 conference games:

@ KSU (just out of top 25)
    WVU
    @ oSu
    Tceh (#11)
    @KU (#5)

I'd say 0-5 likely, Huggy Bear can coach, and oSu though only 6-6 has already beaten Memphis and UCLA at home and #19 LSU on the road.

Rest of conference, later on:
    OU (#25)
    ISU (just out of top 25)

only Big12 teams either not ranked, nor receiving votes are:

BU (8-4, including win @ Arizona, win over Oregon at home)
    TCU (11-1)
    Texas

Shaka's got his hands full.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

My guess is it is going to be a long conference season for this team, they have all the earmarks of a 5-13 type team in conference play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

I just have to be a little more optimistic about the season. I just have to be. I love Longhorn basketball. I am not happy with the results so far, but I just have to have confidence that Conference play will mean something to these guys and they will bring the fire and intensity and show that they belong.

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

No, I don't think so. They've been trying to show their stuff, but cannot knock down enough shots to do so. No consistent shooting. Not good enough from the FT line. I fear it will be a very tough season for the Horns. Sure hope I'm wrong.

6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I was watching one of the 72 replays of the UTA game. Coming back from halftime and they have a camera shot from above the hoop as Texas does its shoot around warm ups. I'd say of 7-10 shots taken from a few feet inside the arc, 7-10 were missed. Not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

They shrunk the baskets.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Dang it, hate it when they do that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I predict 2-3 for the next five games.

10. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

I’ll go with 1-4 over the next five because they will shoot well in one of those games (but only one) and I will assume that it is not against Kansas, because if that is the game they shoot well it is 0-5.

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

So the title of the thread asks what is acceptable. I say anything less than 3-2 is unacceptable. If we go 2-3 or worse they might as well bite the bullet and start looking for a new coach. This team plays practically the same every stinking year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Well, there's #1. Final TX 67 KSU 47

13. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Well, shut my mouth. Good for the Horns. AT KSU.

Probably still be some ups and downs, but who knows, more ups than downs would be nice to see.

Hook 'em