NHL Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Longhorn_Fan68, Apr 6, 2008.

1. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

detroit likes to play down the boards. stars love to play defensively and between the blue lines. will be an awesome series. go stars.

2. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I would agree with the 70% number of those being left when the game was over. It was pretty amazing on a Sunday night for that many to have remained. It went nuts when Morrow scored.

3. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

so nice to have games in the Eastern time zone to look forward to.

Come on Stars

4. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

5. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

6. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

ok, lets get this thread going again.
    game 1 was aweful. bad officiating and a goal allowed that shouldn't have been. turco will recoup but i think the stars need to score 3 or 4 goals saturday.

go stars

7. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

agreed. go stars.

8. TexonLongIsland

9. Longhorn_Fan68

i think the single most important thing that came out of that game yesterday was our 1 goal. Had we gotten blanked last night I think I'd already be calling this series over. We know we can score (especially at even strength). Now we just have to stop giving up bad, dumb penalties.

10. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

11. puckhead

puckhead 100+ Posts

Okay, as a hockey guy, here are my thoughts on game 1.
    The difference in officiating between Stars/Sharks #6 vs. Stars/Wings #1 could not be any greater. Dallas came out playing just like they left off. The roughing call to put Dallas down 5-on-3 was horrible (at least if they'd called Ott, I could stomach it). The fact that they were already down a man makes it despicable. The fact that the officiating continued that way was bad, but the Stars should have adapted. If the zebras continue calling this series like it's Michelle Kwan vs. Nancy Kerrigan, the series is already over.

Kudos to Detroit for capitalizing on the gifts they were given. If they hadn't managed to convert on 3 of the power plays it would've been a very different game. I'm not saying Dallas would've won, but it would have been more entertaining for outsiders to watch.

I see it that Dallas has to solve 3 problems to win the series:

1) How to handle Holstrom/Franzen around the net: Tips, screens, and rebounds are not highlight reel plays, but they're always available in every game. Those two guys are awesome at what they do and unless Dallas solves the problem, the Wings can bank on 1 or 2 goals per game from those situations for the entire series. I'd suggest two things: order Marty to the top of the crease (hoping to draw contact and a penalty), and/or place a D where the forward tries to drop anchor (force the forward to bump into Marty or move around the Stars' D). You could also let the forward stand there unmolested and play the shooting/passing lanes. Ordinarily that's what I'd prefer, but Detroit moves the puck too well.

2) Losing face-offs: Detroit is a possession team. If they win a draw, you're chasing from the beginning. If there are 60 faceoffs in a game and you lose 2/3 of them, you have to force 10 more turnovers just to get even. And with Detroit, more than any other team in the NHL, this is exhausting. Getting Barnes back will help, but Ribiero/Richards/Modano need a much better effort.

3) Finish their checks: As a finesse team, Detroit is less effective when they're getting tenderized. Additionally, the way to stop puck cycling is by knocking the guy passing the puck on his ***. The danger is two-fold: if you miss a check, you've just created an odd man situation and potential scoring chance; and (considering McCreary's whistle work last night) you could get tapped for Interference.

You say "What about the offense?" I know the Stars only scored 1 goal on 21 shots, but a lot of that has to do with 1) Detroit playing in a shell with a 3 goal lead and 2) Dallas spending most of the game chasing/defending. If they aren't trailing by 2 or more and if they aren't in their own zone most of the game, the shots and scoring will come up.

I don't know if they can solve problem #1. I expect at least 1 goal per game from Holmstrom/Franzen.

They'll improve on problem #2 (especially in Dallas where the Wing's center will need to touch his stick down first), but they need to be winning more than half the faceoffs to win the series. I think they'll fall a little short.

Problem #3 is mostly up to the refs. If we see games called like the regular season, we'll see a lot of Detroit power plays and Dallas becoming passive on the forecheck. Both those would be lethal to the Stars. The NHL shouldn't like it either: you'll have Detroit getting early leads on power play goals and then going into a shell. In other words, boring hockey interspersed with power plays.

I'm biased for Dallas, but I'd rather see the a game played much like the 1st overtime of the Stars/Sharks marathon.

And somehow I can't help but think that the psychology
    of the Wings' dominance of the Stars is the 800 pound gorilla that I'm ignoring.

Whew. That was a lot of typing.

12. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

That's pretty spot on. I was about to jump on point three about the refs almost affecting the way the Stars are able to play but you covered that.

Agree with your point on getting those deflections in front of the net. They need to figure out how they want to play that. The guy got to stand there almost unmolested. That stick has to be lifted by the D or held down when that shot is coming.

Finally spot on with the faceoffs. Dallas has been attrocious with faceoffs it seems since the retirement of Carbonneau and trade of Nieuwendyk. Hope they can win those battles in the next game.

After watching that game though I feel that with a different officiating crew Dallas might be able to really take Detroit to the edge. Go Stars.

13. Longhorn_Fan68

One thing Dallas needs to counter in a hurry is Detroit's speed. I have to give them credit, at times they looked a full step faster and more poised than Dallas. Dallas came in looking like a team that was afraid of Detroit. They need to shake that **** in a hurry.

14. History Horn

History Horn 100+ Posts

On everything but your point about the face-offs, the results will be determined by the officiating.

The issue with Holmstrom and crew disrupting at the top of the crease and the cycle will determine who advances.

The problem for the Stars is that with the new officiating style in the NHL, you can't clear the front of the net from the opposing forward. You can't hack his ankles, cross check him, or make him physically pay the price to be there. That is an immediate interference call. And don't believe for a second that the zebras won't put the Stars in the sin bin if they try to get rough in front of the net. The second part of that dilemma is that the forward is not allowed into the crease (blue painted area) in order to give the goalie a legitimate chance to move and make the save. On two separate goals, the Wings had their forward in the crease either bumping or impeding Turco. While it maybe shouldn't be called interference, the goals should have been waved off. The failure to make that call magnifies the refs not allowing the Stars to clear the front of the net.

The second portion is whether the refs will allow the Stars to finish their checks to disrupt the puck possession offense. To this point, they've been quick with the whistle and just like in basketball, if the refs call a style that maximizes your opponent's match-up advantages and minimizes yours....then it will be a long night.

Game number one is the prime example of the perfect storm for the Stars. Not calling some aspects of the game (because its the playoffs) and calling others (because we want to be consistent with the regular season).

Hook 'em & Go Stars

15. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

nice work!

just under 9 hours before the puck drops in game 2. Lets go Stars

16. Victorious1

Victorious1 250+ Posts

Stars look like they are sleep walking through this game. They've had some excellent scoring opportunities and missed badly. Turco is looking very average.

17. TexonLongIsland

osgood better be suspended

18. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

ohhh i loved this game. we're down 2-0, but the series doesn't start until the home team loses. i love the way game 2 was played AND ended!

19. Longhorn_JD

Longhorn_JD < 25 Posts

The Stars took more blatant cheap shots at the Wings tonight (and didn't get called in order to keep the score close) and then Ribeiro breaks his stick across Osgood's arm...yet, Osgood should be suspended. I guess Turco should be tossed from the league for good after continually slashing and hitting Holmstrom.

I can understand why you would want him to be suspended...it would actually give the Stars a chance.

20. MaxHorn

MaxHorn 250+ Posts

Osgood started it by hitting him with the butt end of his stick as he skated by. f**k the Red Wings. I have tix for game three and we're going to kick their Motor City asses.

21. TexonLongIsland

22. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

23. Longhorn_JD

Longhorn_JD < 25 Posts

The Stars may win a game or two but they are not going to take down the Wings. The Red Wings are the better team top to bottom...period.

[​IMG]

24. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

says the guy with the "redwing" morphing into the stanley cup

25. Longhorn_Fan68

Ok, tonight is the season. If the Stars win, I will have a little hope that we can pull this out. If not, well, it's been a great run that exceeded this poster's expectations.

26. TexonLongIsland

come on Stars

27. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

Anyone know where you can listen to the game online???

28. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

listen here

if the link doesn't work, go to nhl.com and find the game. it'l direct you from there.

go stars

29. Longhorn_Fan68