NIL & NCAA Conversation

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Vol Horn 4 Life, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

This has more holes in it than a giant sieve. It will not end well for college athletics and it enhances their role as nothing more than a college funded minor league for the NFL. Baseball has a minor league and that is where the pay for play have gone for years. Even some those players may now sign up for the "college pay for play" program. How in the hell are they going to control booster buying s _ _ t at inflated prices. How about an "options" market where I purchase the future option to buy from a group of players. Sound crazy? Yes I am. Maybe another under the table deal opportunity.

Lawsuits and dissention from other athletes not getting the big payday at the same school may follow. I agree that we might as well tax the scholarship if we are going to pay to play.

Need to force the NFL into creating a minor league.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chin,

Minor league baseball got it right; this is a total cluster. Minor leagues didn't matter if you were a bonus baby or afterthought, you both got the same salary, meal money, etc in your league - rookie, A, AA, AAA, you level controlled what you got paid. You road crappy buses to stay in crummy hotels trying to eat on $8-12 a day.

One of the most successful sports agents of all time told me that they represent baseball players (at one time almost 400), a few football players (all but two were class acts), and zero basketball players. He said that Basketball players immediately go out and spend their cash on bling and a car they can't get in and out of. Football payers are buying a new vehicle but more practical, some even F150/250. Baseball players take their bonus, buy a used Ford F150 because they know that cash has to last them several years if they are destined to the bigs.

This crap will destroy that - let the BB players go straight to the NBA, football hone their skills and improve their reputation. Baseball has too many variables - kids arms go dead, never learn to his a breaking pitch, leg injuries, etc.

Anyone else old enough to remember Pistol Pete Pedro, aka post boy for SpotBilt Shoes & the leading college rusher 2-3 years at WTSU? Always a full page inside Dave Campbells. Doubt the kid got a dime. At least his two successors got good NFL cash.

3. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Night Train Lane grew up poor, emerging from a garbage pile (parents dumped him) as an infant, played on the East side in Austin at Anderson and only played one year at a JUCO. Then four years in the Army and 14 years in the NFL to include 7 Pro Bowls, 7- 1st team All Pro and the Hall of Fame.
    I am thinking we need more Night Train Lanes.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He grew up hungry for success and recognition. Worked his *** off to attain his achievements. Was a great player.

Not sure Neuhaus Royal has seen a "hungry" football player in decades, but I assure you that NIL will make it impossible to find one.

5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Okay, crazy, wild, Twilight Zone thought....

XYZ, Inc. contracts a NIL with Bijan (or any player) for 500K provided he averages 25 carries/catches per game for the season. Anything less activates a downward sliding pay scale.
    After 4 games Bijan is only averaging 18 touches p/g. He has a heart2heart with Sark about it.
    After 6 games he's still averaging less than 25. He tells Sark if he doesn't make the 25 p/g by season's end, he's going to portal out.​
    Could something like this happen or would it be impossible? Is there an auto protection-trigger inherent in the NIL deals for all players? If not, then will the kid need to find a lawyer who will craft the deal and is willing to wait until the payout to get paid? I wonder what that will cost the player.

Again, I'm just using Bijan and Sark as an example – sub any other player and coach if you like.

• Hot Hot x 1
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This started happening when the portal was introduced and self-anointed superstars used transferring as the whip.

7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Yes, I know.
    But my "thought" is about the NIL effects: will the now-money effect the portalling (as opposed to getting drafted and then paid)? Will player reps and/or attorneys come into play? If the school has a deal for a team to wear Nike earings, but a member can snag a 500K deal if that player wears Gucci's.... etc.

8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Winner Winner x 1