Nolan Ryan on his way out?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Horn2Run, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

FW S-T reporting he's being pushed aside, possible power struggle.

Given the franchise circumstance, I don't have a problem with it.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Will rank right up there with Jerry's casting Landry aside. Nolan Ryan has forgotten more baseball than smart *** yankee John Daniels will ever know.

3. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Landry's last season, the Cowboys had the worst record in the NFL (thus the 1rst pick in the draft). His exit, although needed, was handled poorly. I give the R's front office at least some credit for not blatantly pissing all over Nolan, if indeed he's being cast off.

JD and his band made the trades that made the run the past few yrs possible. Nolan was just along for the ride. I wish him well in retirement, or in rebuilding the Astros

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Local news sources here in the Metroplex are reporting that the ownership group is working to smooth this over and give Nolan a reason to stay. But if you look at the record, Jon Daniels is the one who made all the smart baseball decisions that have made the Rangers into a contender. The Teixeira trade was a masterpiece - bringing in Matt Harrison, Neftali Felix, and Elvis Andrus, all key contributors - in exchange for a player the Rangers knew they couldn't retain. And the record of the past few years show that JD was a genius at bringing in folks to man the bullpen at very reasonable prices. And time may show that the decision to let Hamilton go was the right thing, also.

Nolan is a valuable PR asset for the Rangers, and I hope they can keep him. But the decision to empower JD for the baseball decisions is absolutely correct.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think Nolan has a role and sets the tone for the organization. I think JD is the key thinker in the organization but it would be great to have both working for the Texas Rangers. I guess if you are the "face" of the franchise, "face" is damned important. Hope the egos and the media don't keep picking at this irritation.

6. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Someone commented on the air this a.m. that there is no 10 ft. statue of J. Daniels in center field in the Rangers Ballpark.

What they're missing is that Nolan Ryan's statue is not there to honor his abilities as a CEO. Baseball accomplishments aside, Nolan's reputation is that of being competitive to a fault in dealing with others. And he did get into baseball ownership through the Astros, as I recall. It's not like there's a long-standing history of ownership and involvement with the Rangers.

He can always keep selling foundation repair.

7. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

With new ownership is there a chance Nolan returns to the Astros?