Non-member church for a wedding

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by NoUserNameForMe, Nov 16, 2008.

1. NoUserNameForMe

NoUserNameForMe 25+ Posts

My fiancee and I moved back to the Austin area around three years ago, but we still don't have a church here. For Holidays, we still go with family to a church in the San Antonio area.

We are having our wedding reception in Austin and want to have a traditional wedding in a church. However, most churches require you to be a member.

Can someone recommend a church in the NW Austin area, where we can just pay without being a member or one that doesn't take three classes to join? Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, or non-denominational, please. We just want to get the date booked, so we can wrap up other loose-ends.

Thanks for the help.

2. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I think Riverbend on 360 works that way, but I think they also book pretty far in advance.

3. NoUserNameForMe

I'll look into it. Thanks.

4. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

I think that First Presbyterian on Mesa and Spicewood allows non-member weddings. Nice little church, convenient location -- give them a call and see.

5. NoUserNameForMe

brisk, thanks.

6. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

First Methodist (it's downtown, not NW) allows non-members and they don't have any requirements that I know of. We brought in a Methodist preacher from another city to do the ceremony and he didn't require any classes but I guess it may be up to the officiant. Riverbend on 360 is definitely the most lenient, you can do whatever you want there and have whatever decorations whereas the more traditional churches have a lot of rules you have to follow.

7. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

if you are not really into church, why get married in one?

There are plenty of other options...

8. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

We were married in a Catholic church in Wailuku, Maui. The bride Catholic, the groom not, but we had done the engaged encounter thing.

Over the phone to Anchroage, the priest there explained to the Mishtress: "if we didn't do mixed weddings, if we didn't do weddings of non members, we wouldn't be doing any weddings."

A church that doesn't want to handle your wedding is a church you don't want to have anything to do with.