O.C. Vacation - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Cap33, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Cap33

Cap33 100+ Posts

The family is going to Orange County for five days. We'll have a rental car, so we're up for getting out and about. Planning on some beach time, but that's about it so far. Also thinking about heading down to San Diego for a day to go to the zoo.

Any suggestions? We'll have a 16-month old, so nightlife isn't really a priority. And Disneyland is not on the agenda.

2. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

you can visit the Richard M Nixon house in Yorba Linda.

3. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Hit the Malibu beaches.

4. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Where in O.C. will you be staying? We spend a week in Laguna Beach every year. If you're not staying there with a bunch of family (like we do), it's best for a day or so. The Main Beach park there is fantastic -- nice beach, a great playground for the kids, sunset over the water. We typically walk down there every evening to put our toes in the sand, let the kids play, and maybe we step across the street for a coffee, or a malt. There's also a GREAT beach and park at Aliso Creek (a few miles down PCH from Main Beach).

I'm not a big fan of all the art stuff they have -- the Sawdust festival and all that crap.

The drive on PCH from Newport Beach down to where it hits the 5 (just past Dana Point) is nice.

There's some nice places to eat on the waterfront in Newport Beach.

San Diego rocks -- the zoo (really, ALL of Balboa park, the museums there, etc.), the Scripps aquarium, etc. All are great family options, and aren't too expensive.

5. stockjock

stockjock 250+ Posts

6. Cap33

Cap33 100+ Posts

Staying at the Hyatt Huntington Beach. I thought we'd probably drive over to Laguna or Newport Beach one day. Thanks for the info on Laguna.

Anyone know anything about Main Street and the Pier at HB? I'll admit we chose our location solely based on availability of a beach hotel (the Hyatt is actually across the street), and I know little about the surrounding area. I figured we'd check it out one day, but we do have the rental car so more areas are available when we want to leave the resort.

Thanks again for the tips!

7. MaceHorn

MaceHorn 100+ Posts

Head up to Beverly...Hills, that is. Swimmin' pools, movie stars. Never know who you'll see. Buy the little woman something nice on Rodeo Drive. Go to Nate & Al's for lunch. Walk the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Maybe take a tour at Universal Studios (not the theme park). Fun for the whole family.

And, I second the drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from HB to Dana Point.

8. Longhorn_in_LA

Longhorn_in_LA 100+ Posts

Cap -
    The Main st. area in Huntington is ok. Some shops and restaurants...you'll expierence it in an hour. Nice area to walk around though. Beach in Huntington is nice. Good place to learn to surf if you're up for it.

I would do the Hollywood thing for a day. Go to Hollywood/highland and that area. You'll see the Kodak theatre, walk of fame, etc. You'll be able to drive the Sunset strip, b/c it's right by that area. Beverly Hills and Rodeo dr. are about 10mins (depending on traffic) from there.

Malibu - It's worth driving up to Malibu one day. Possibly the same day you go to Hollywood if you can squeeze it in...might be a lot though. There is a beach there called El Matador. It's the coolest beach I've been to in the area. It has rock formations coming out of the water, which other beaches in the area do not. El Matador

San Diego Zoo and Sea World would be a good day trip. I've been to Sea World...It was nice.

Let me know if you have more questions.

9. Cap33

Cap33 100+ Posts

Thanks. I won't plan a day to explore Main Street. Malibu sounds like a good trip.

Speaking of Dana Point, we have the opportunity to switch hotels to the St. Regis at Monarch Beach. Has anyone stayed there by chance? It's not fair to really compare it to the Hyatt, but I can't decide if that much more per room is worth it -- especially with a little one in tow. [​IMG]

10. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

Yes, switch hotels to the Monarch- it is really nice and makes Huntington look like trash.
    When you exit John Wayne, go West on MacArthur, north on Jamboree- there is an In and Out burger right there on Jamboree close to UC Irvine's campus. Take Jamboree to 1 or PCH, and that is Newport Beach. Go North to get to Huntington.

Feel free to PM me if you like. I grew up in Orange County- Corona Del Mar, and am headed back out to the beach house this week. Corona is a small town between Newport and Laguna. The beaches in Northern Laguna are in my opinion some of the best in all of SoCal. Divers Cove, Shaw's Cove, Crescent Bay are all very local beaches. Try Javier's in Laguna on the main beach, very local eatery. Sorrento grill is also a great evening place. If you want to see Hollywood folks go to Las Brisas or The Surf and Sand hotel bar on the weekends. The Surf and Sand is an awesome bar right on the water. Some even really like our beach in Corona Del Mar but they can get crowded with families on the weekends.
    If you go to Newport, go to the far end of the Penn- and check out the body surfers at the Wedge. It will blow you away watching guys body surf 30foot waves.
    Then hit The Crab Cooker in Newport- one of the all time favorites. 15th street is where all surfers are if you want to see them. If you want to check out all the islands in Newport harbor, go over to the Fun Zone and rent a little Duffy to cruise around the bay. A duffy is an electric boat most folks have for cruising around the bay here in Newport.
    Balboa island is overrated and over crowded.
    Be sure to stop at the "Shake Shack" in Crystal Cove Beach when driving between Newport and Laguna. It is a great beat up old shack that has the best smoothies and shakes around, not to mention the scenery is pretty cool too.
    San Diego is great too. Totally different than Orange County, much more relaxed and casual. PB and Mission beach are mad houses on the weekends, stay up north or hit Wind and Sea and you will have a great time.

Go Angels.

11. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

You can go on down south to visit the Salk Institute and tour it's campus. I haven't been, but I hear that it is amazing.

SALK INSTITUTE
    10010 North Torrey Pines Road
    La Jolla, CA 92037

The Link

La Jolla in general is amazing. It isn't all the way down to San Diego, but if you are on the south side of Orange County (Dan Point et al), then it really isn't that far down the road.

Go about 9:30am-10:00am and then come back around 3:00pm. OR come back around 7:30-8:30pm. There's a thing in Southern California that can kill you and it's called "Traffic".

12. newport horn

newport horn 25+ Posts

the Hyatt is phenomenal and you are only like a mile from Newport. Crab Cooker and Fun Zone are both good suggestions. You can take the little ferry from fun zone to balboa island and walk around there. You are in a good location between Newport and downtown HB