Obama Admin. "misrepresented" Amnesty Actions To Fed. Judge

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

It appears the Obama Administration has been caught lying once again.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...ma-admins-misrepresentation-in-federal-court/

Very similar to what he did when he implemented Obamacare. They try to ram enough people into the program so quickly that it is impossible to reverse the action.

Oh, and in Obama's defense, he didn't know about this until he saw it on television.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

But but Bush did it too

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm skeptical of any story run by Breitbart, as I would be of any story run on a liberal "news" site. Nevertheless, if the Administration lied to the court or disobeys the court, there are sanctions and penalties that can and should be imposed. I'm also not a fan of litigants or their lawyers trying to score political points as part of their case. Just try your case and shut up.

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    exactly of what are you skeptical?
    Do you question whether Breitbart faked the motion filed by Paxton?
    In the brief the AG offers up a pretty clear timeline of the DOJ saying they would not implement any of the programs, authorized by the November 24, 2014 memorandum until February 18.
    Do you question Breitbart's quotes of the DOJ?

It looks like our AG is asking for the DOJ to provide is when they implemented the expanded DACA. It could turn out that the DOJ acte within proper limits.
    This Breitbart article is pretty straight forward reporting of the AG motion and not full of a lot of opinion.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't doubt that the motion was filed, and I'm not saying that because a story came from Breitbart that it's per se wrong, any more than a story on Mother Jones is per se wrong. However, the mere filing of a motion doesn't make it merited. Furthermore, the facts as outlined in a motion shouldn't be presumed accurate, nor should they be presumed to tell the full story. I also don't expect that an ideological "news" website to be particularly thorough in making sure the full story is told, especially on a legal matter (and even more so when it's a politically charged legal matter). Like I indicated before, if the facts are as they are described, there is an appropriate remedy, and it should be exercised. And the politicians should shut up.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Here you go Deez. Here's something from that bastion of conservative journalism, the LA Times.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83012074/

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'll defer to the LA Times on this, but my point is the same. Let the court hand down the appropriate remedy, and the politicians should shut up.

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    Weren't politicians the ones that created the actions? If politicians had not created the action there would been no need for the courts to be involved.

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yes, politicians created the actions. However, that doesn't mean that other politicians have to try to exploit the matter for political gain while it's before a court. Judge Hannan is more than capable of rendering a just order on his own.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ok I am not lawyer so I do not know the answer to this.
    So are you saying the Texas AG should NOT have filed that motion, that the judge should have questioned the actions questioned in the filing on his own?

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No, I'm not saying that at all. If the Administration did something wrong, they should be called out for it IN COURT. That means the motion should be filed, and it should be taken before the judge. However, Paxton, Abbott, and Patrick shouldn't be sending out press releases or making a political issue out of it. For one thing, the Legislature is in session. Abbott and Patrick should be too busy. to jump into this.

13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Hmm I would think it IS the responsibility of the AG to let the citizens of Texas know what actions he files, especially on an issue that has such a financial impact on our state. I would also guess but haven't checked that it is routine for an AG office to send to the press all filings the Ag does on behalf of our state.

And again Patrick is the Lt Gov and this BO "action" impacts our state in a HUGE way so his quoted statement seems to be in line with what our elected officials do.
    As far as the lege being in session? REALLY you think that is a reason for the AG to not even file?
    or Really? you think the LT Gov can't issue a 2 paragraph statement AND attend to lege duties?

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They may send a release every time they file a lawsuit, but I'd be quite surprised if they send one out with every motion that gets filed. It would often take a 20-page release just to explain what the hell they were doing. This kind of thing is sure to be a selective matter.

And what exactly is this "responsibility?" It isn't as though the public wouldn't know what was going on unless these politicians opened their traps. What gets filed with a court is a matter of public record unless sealed, which none of this was. There's ample opportunity for the public to be aware of this without three politicians (two of whom have little to nothing to do with the lawsuit) grandstanding.

The LG can do what he wants, but whatever time he spends on this case that he has very, very little to do with is time he can't spend on issues that he does have something to do with. And as someone who has worked in the Capitol during session, I can tell you that time is short, especially for someone of Patrick's clout.

And to clarify, I'm totally supportive of the underlying case. Unlike the brainless retards trying to shutdown DHS with no strategy, at least the state officials are doing this the right way and with a real shot at winning. However, what's done in a courtroom should be all business and professional in nature. Grandstanding politicians should shut their mouths until the matter is resolved. They should comment on the court's orders, not own their self-serving motions.

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

" but I'd be quite surprised if they send one out with every motion that gets filed"

This is a step above " every filing". Every one who lives in Texas ( and likely most in the other 25 states) understand the importance and impact on each citizen of BO's executive action.
    This particular filing aside I would guess any state's AG that files a motion in federal court on behalf of their state DOES send out a press release on that filing.

I guess though you are no longer skeptical of the Breitbart article.

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That isn't the point.

Again, I don't buy that. Most motions that get filed can't be summed up in a two or three paragraph press release. Drafting and filing motions in a court isn't as simple as you think it is.

Certainly less so, but I'm going to wait on the court's order before deciding on the merits of any motion.

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"but I'm going to wait on the court's order before deciding on the merits of any motion."
    As should we all.

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Including the politicians.

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

MrD
    :whiteflag:
    Pols are incapable of that. ALL of them

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's mostly true, but keeping quiet is the best way to keep from putting one's foot in his mouth. :bounce1:

21. BurntOrangeOnly

BurntOrangeOnly 500+ Posts

That's the one thing all politicians are incapable of. Party, ideology, none of that matters, the ALL have athlete's tongue.

22. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Isn't that redundant?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

24. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I am all for transparency(sp), there should be a press release on every suit or brief filed......

One thing is the Press should at least be able to ask why or what it is about and the politician should respond........

Transparency(SP) is a thing of the past......I guess as I delete this from my own email server......

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You know not what you say, Major. Every suit? Sure. Every brief filed? That's a bit much, and it would likely make the press less likely to cover the AG's actions. They'd get 99 worthless press releases for every 1 that was newsworthy. Eventually, they'd start ignoring the releases.

Bear in mind that any brief filed with a court is public record whether a press release is sent out or not. Nothing really gets hidden.

I totally disagree. If politicians are commenting on ongoing litigation, they will screw up the underlying litigation more often than not just by opening their mouths. Furthermore, most of them have no idea what the hell they're talking about on something that nuanced, so you're not likely to learn anything from what they're saying anyway.