Offense?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by ut1969, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ut1969

ut1969 250+ Posts

Something has to be done about having a bad offense almost every year. If Barnes doesn't have a future NBA point guard, we don't have an offense. How hard is it to hire an offensive coach?

2. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, Kenton Paulino's Hall of Fame induction is imminent.

3. gnaiko

gnaiko 25+ Posts

Yeah, I think it's the mindset that Barnes has to change or add. He has a defensive mindset and it's being transferred to the players. You see this by Texas having good defensive teams year in & year out. He doesn't have to change that. Just add or acquire an offensive mindset too. I feel he's too restrictive at times on offense. He gets super offensive players (Hamilton & JCB is case in point for this team) and makes them tentative. I'm not saying giving them an absolute green light to jack it up at any time, but just that he should let them improvise within the structure of the offense. There would be instances where you feel it's a ridiculous shot but for the most part it would free them to score lots of points.

Basketball is real easy, if you move the ball (or create for yourself) and you're open and there are rebounders in position to compete for the rebound, then shoot. You might miss it, but if you're a good enough shooter then it's a good shot. It's way better than a turnover.

Look at Duke. They are the opposite of us. Year in year out, they have an offensive mindset. Look at how many open threes they jack up. If it's open and there's rebounders then shoot. This will open up the floor so much. I think Hamilton & JCB ranks right up there with Kemba Walker & Fredette in terms of offensive prowess, if they are allowed. JCB can create for his own shot at will. I sometimes wonder how they will be utilized at other systems.

4. CraigHorn

CraigHorn 500+ Posts

for all the flack given B Knight on another thread, I think he (repeatedly) made some good suggestions re: how we might improve our offensive flow and production. Almost to the pt of beating a dead horse but on spot.

5. TXThorn

TXThorn Guest

I have an immediate remedy...solidify the damn FT shooting. We could be 5+ points better in big games most of the time. And looking at our losses that would have wiped out 3 of them...and sent us to OT against KSU. I have a bad feeling that deeper in the tourney, against a good team in a close battle, hacking TT down the stretch will be the strategy. And it will hurt us. If I was KU I'd definitely use it with their depth.

6. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I agree completely regarding the FTs. We are leaving points off the board just about every game because of it, but I suppose it is what is is and isn't going to get any better with this team.

I am but a relative novice at this, but I also agree with Bob Knight regarding the lapses into stagnant offense and only utilizing half the floor. Better motion and more importantly, eliminating bad shots, will go a long way toward improving the offense.

Last night wasn't as bad as it has been at times - at least not for as long a stretch - but they have a habit of getting into that funk where they do some really crazy ****. Missing good looks is one thing, settling for bad ones is something else.

7. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

We have had multiple starters in a shooting slump. Looks like Hamilton maybe pulling out of it as well as Joseph. Gary Johnson is way off right now and we need his points. If he is hitting the 15ft. jumper teams don't crowd the middle as much. Yesterday he coudn't hit a dunk. He did make his free throws down the stretch. Matt Hill was playing some good ball earlier in the year but has reverted to his former self. Brown, you just don't know what you are going to get. Hill is a 50% free throw shooter and should take his shots when they leave him wide open from that distance, as soon as he catches the ball he is trying to get rid of it. We seem to go through periods where no one is moving, they have got to stop that.