Oklahoma resolution to condemn Richard Dawkins

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by SyracuseHorn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

An Okie state rep submitted a resolution to condemn the University of Oklahoma for hosting the world renowned biologist Richard Dawkins. What exactly is the University's mission, Mr. Thomsen?

Chicago Examiner story

2. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

Stupid is as stupid does....................Mrs. Gump

3. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

that's a waste of time, but Dawkins is an idiot who has no business going off on philosophical arguments and embarrasses himself when he does.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

There are so many other good reasons to condemn OU, why does this incident get all the attention?

5. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

No! Our answer to the Great Question is the only logical one. Our Science is great. Let us not forget the great Richard Dawkins who finally freed the world of religion long ago. Dawkins knew that logic and reason were the way of the future. But it wasn't until he met his beautiful wife that he learned using logic and reason isn't enough. You have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you.

[​IMG]

6. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

7. Longhorny630

Ask Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

8. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

9. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

10. Longhorny630

Does it matter why I think he's a dick? Obviously you think differently which I respect since you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not about to write a big essay or novel and go to your home and lecture you why you are wrong and I am right since I have better things to do. All I did was reference a very very funny episode of South Park in which the creators (Trey Parker and Matt Stone) poke fun at Richard Dawkins. If you would like to know why they think Richard Dawkins is a dick, feel free to ask them since they are the only ones who called him a dick.

11. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

Oh!

Now I understand. The cartoon Richard Dawkins is a dick. I am so out of touch.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

12. Longhorny630

13. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

14. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

seriously, no intelligent atheist would look to Dawkins to feel cozy....because when he ventures into philosophical arguments, they are so lacking in substance and logic as to suggest he has very little ability in that area. he comes off just looking like a very angry kid.

Plantinga, one of our eminent philosophers and professor at Notre Dame, has this to say in an essay in Christianity Today:

Plantinga critiques Dawkins

15. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

It seems to me that all this resolution did was help Dawkin's books sales.

16. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

MOP,

Did you really expect anything other from Dr. Plantinga?

The 'God Delusion' was not menat to be a philosophical treatise, it was meant to tweak the nose of conservative religion. In that it was successful.

I don't call myself an atheist, but I found most of the 'God Delusion' satisfying.

[​IMG]

17. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I was jejune when I was a sophomore.

19. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

actually, if you know anything about Plantinga, he is quite reasonable and understated in his critiques. he really is a lovely fellow who doesn't go around making brash statements about anything non-theistic. but Dawkins reasoning is so atrocious as to be an embarrassment to reasonable atheists (look up atheist's critiques of Dawkins online to find what i mean).....the fact that you found the book to be "satisfying" says more about you than Dawkins.....frankly i am not terribly surprised that you found his reasoning satisfying. you seem quite intelligent when it comes to your chosen field of biology, but when you venture into arguing about philosophy with coelacanth for instance, your lack of training in that area (something you always hold up as so critical to being authorized to comment in a certain field) becomes readily apparent.

i only have my bachelor's in philosophy and i find Dawkins writings to be entertaining reading (and i don't mean that as a positive statement about his philosophical musings) and it shocks me how many intelligent people like yourself will defend Dawkin's non-biology books like The God Delusion or even his painful philosophical detours in Climbing Mount Improbable.

by the way GT, i am a fairly average sized man....just over 5'10" and just over 180 lbs.

20. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

by the way...here is a fun page which shows just a few samples of the bad arguments utilized by Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennet and Harris

atheist logic dismantled

21. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

22. GT WT

GT WT 1,000+ Posts

23. schnarkle

schnarkle 500+ Posts

never knew the host from Family Feud was so controversial.

24. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

Richard Dawkins and the Oklahoma Legislature deserve each other.